oscarpower

Mt. Desert Island, Maine/Acadia NP CG

Hopefully this year we will finally reach Maine to visit Acadia National Park in August. Would anyone recommend a good campground on Mt. Desert Island? I've only found Seawall and Blackwoods in the Nat'l Pk and two Koa's which are too expensive. We can go "dry" but of course, electricity and/or water hook up would be preferred.

We plan on staying for 7-10 days to drive around (no sports).

Any other recommendations for this trip will be appreciated!

Thank you,

Jocelynn

Mrs. Oscar (Quico) Power

2004 Coachmen/28' Concord with tow

Gainesville, FL

no pets

This last summer we stayed at Forest Ridge Campground near Ellsworth, 40, Flockamoosen Way, Ellsworth, ME 04605, forestridgecampground.com (855) 299-6969. Nice place and gave us good access to Acadia and Bar Harbor.

I wanted to look at Sewall and on Google maps it says it is permanently closed. Blackwoods does show some RV parking but no hook ups.

Take your passports with you and go all the way up Rte 1 to East Port Maine . Then cross into Canada to The Roosevelt Campobello International Park.

Seaview Campground & Cottages 16 Norwood Rd, Eastport, ME 04631, eastportmaine.com, (207) 853-4471. This is the most eastern campground in the US. You can tell people you have ben Down East as they say in Main.

Bill

We stayed at Bass Harbor Campground on the "quiet side" of the Island. It's down the street from the Bass Harbor Lighthouse. We stayed 4 nights. People were very nice. Place was clean.

We stayed at Bar Harbor Campground a couple of years ago and would consider it again. They do not take reservations, but we got there shortly after noon and didn't have a problem finding a spot. We took a pull through in the part of the cg near the office area, but there were openings out on the front facing the ocean. It's close to the national park, and there's a pretty good lobster pound right across the road!

So here we are...we made it this year!  And we are staying at Bass Harbor c/G, a few steps from the lighthouse, for one week.  One issue we had was that although the cable hookup was offered when we reserved and available, when we went to complain, the lady at the office said "oh, down there (site 333) it has never worked...: hmmm why then.......???  Then another lady offered to give us a discount or change sites but three days later, as the c/ground is full.  Since anyway the first 3 days we would be out all day, we chose the latter and were transferred to #327 with full cable and Wifi.  

We do have a tow car, but those that don't have one:  LLBean sponsors free shuttle buses that go around the island continously.

Thank you Linrosin for suggesting Bass Harbor.... and Willdebill308:  we did bring the passports and will spend labor day wkd at Campobello park!!

Jocelynn and Oscar (Quico) Power

Gainesville, FL

2004 Concord/Coachmen w/ tow

We recently stayed at the KOA there, nice site on the ocean, a little expensive. The free shuttles

are great for getting around. They stop at I think all the campgrounds so you get sorta a tour

of where they all are if your at the 1st pick up point which is the KOA Oceanside.