mapleskoff

Induction Cook Tops

We're interested in hearing about experiences using Induction Cooktops and appropriate cookware. Anybody cooking with these?

They seem to be more useful than propane stove top burners. Would really like to hear from those using this method.

What manufacturer?

Too much draw on electrical system (we have 30 amp service)? TIA.

Doc Mike

Been using portable induction cook tops in the motorhome for a number of years. Use it when plugged in or on the generator.

When compared to a regular electric cook top, it uses 1/2 the current and boils water in half the time. At home we have a 4 burner induction range made by Samsung. Our first one for the motorhome was a Burton. Got it about 8 years ago and finally gave it to our youngest son.

Now we are using a Farberware from Walmart for $50.

We use Nu Wave brand, have one for the home, and one for the motorhome. Fifty percent of the cooking at home is done on one, and about 95 percent while camping.

As DD690 said it uses 50% less electricity than standard cooktops, heats much faster. You do have to make sure that the cookware that you use has an iron core so that the magnetism can do its thing. We have a very nice set of stainless steel made for induction cooking which is a nesting set, meaning that everything is conveniently stored within the stock pot. You can use just plain old ironware and it works great.

I will also add that the heat is so accurate that even people that normally will only use gas stoves, once trying this method, love it also. If you can use an electric fry pan on your 30 amp service, one of the countertop induction units will work fine.

Doc Mike,

I ordered my set off e-bay,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magma-Products-Gourmet-Nesting-10-Piece-Induction-Stainless-Steel-Cookware-Set-/172030557851?hash=item280dd1fe9b:g:Ot0AAOSwSHZWcARG
this set is ceramic lined, we really love the quality. Also saw a nice set at Costco last week, bearing the Wolfgang Puck name brand, it does not nest and we like the nesting capability of the ordered one for storage purposes in the motorhome. Wherever you purchase, be sure that it is designed for induction cooking if using on an induction cooktop. There is an iron core embedded between layers of stainless steel on the ones designed for induction cooking.

By the way, I have never seen an aluminum set designed for induction cooking. As I stated in the earlier post, cast iron works well, we make cornbread in a cast iron skillet right on the induction cooktop. PM me, I will be glad to share how it is done.

Kay

I had considered switching over from propane in the coach since we have a 2 burner Princess cook top and it's tough to use. Also it is the only thing in the coach now that is propane and I have a 50 gallon tank underneath which takes up useable space and adds significant weight to the coach.

Kay what is the amperage draw? No special wiring or heavier gauge required?

I checked the appliance, it states 1800 watts maximum draw, divided by 120 equals 15 amps. This is one unit, and 475 degrees max temperature. 14 gauge wire will run only one unit on 15 amp breaker, or 10 gauge, with a 30 amp breaker for two will be needed.

We use only one at a time in the coach and have no problems. Also my wife does stack cook on occasion and that works out very well for us.

The wife doesn't like to use a gas stove, especially in the MH. We started out using a single burner induction cooktop about 10 years ago and the gas cooktop never got used again. A couple of years using that single burner cooktop led to a full size 4 burner cooktop in the sticks and bricks house. A few months ago I pulled the gas cooktop out of the MH and installed a True two burner cooktop in its place. This cooktop draws a maximum of 15amps @ 120v and through my research that is all you can get @ 120v. The next larger sizes are all 240v units. The quality of the pans used do make a difference so don't cheap out there.

I found this on the web:

http://www.biggamegrinders.com/product_detail_22976.aspx#product_descriptions

Is there a manufacture that has a direct replacement option to swap out a propane unit? I have room to cut out the Corian to make it larger, smaller is not an option.

Any thoughts preferences on manufactures?

Anyone with a coach that has one from the factory, what manufacture is it equipped with?

Joe, what is the exact hole size that you will need? That same company has several different ones available. Also, you might consider a stainless steel filler, I have a friend that has helped me out in the past, using 16 gauge stainless steel. If you have the exact size, or you, can make a cardboard template, he uses a plasma cutter, then can polish to a mirror finish, just PM me if this is an option that you want to explore.

Kay, I will measure it and see what my options are.

I have a Seaward Princess model 2276 propane now that is recessed into the counter. I did locate sizes on the web for it but I wanted to measure it anyway just in case I have an older version and something changed. I planned on measuring it last night but it started to snow :wacko: .

thanks,

Joe

Joe. You should know by now, after 18 years off married bliss, always listen and obey the DW...you might even make another 18! :P:huh:

Happy Anniversary! Take her to a warm place... :lol::wub:

Carl

Thanks for the great responses. Expect delivery tomorrow at the RV campground where we are spending the month. Also ordered a pot so we can try it out before we buy more pots and pans. Looking forward to delicious meals without the use of propane.

Happy Valentine Day to all.

Doc Mike

Doc, report back on what you think of it compared to the propane you have now. I am curious how much faster it is to boil water etc.

thank you

I found this on the web:

http://www.biggamegrinders.com/product_detail_22976.aspx#product_descriptions

Is there a manufacture that has a direct replacement option to swap out a propane unit? I have room to cut out the Corian to make it larger, smaller is not an option.

Any thoughts preferences on manufactures?

Anyone with a coach that has one from the factory, what manufacture is it equipped with?

Update; I bought this one (link above) (not from this site, bought mine through EBAY) and was playing with it over the weekend. here is what I have to say about induction cooking;

Pro's

1. Cooking time for warm up will be greatly reduced. I boiled a pot with 3 quarts of water in 8 minutes. My stove at home (flattop electric) cannot do this that fast. The gas cooktop in the coach is slower than the stove at home.
  2. Residual heat around the pots/pans was greatly reduced, this is always a concern in the coach when its hot out, my A/C struggles to keep up.
  3. This unit came with a 5' cord standard 120v plug, so installation will be easy.

Con's

1. My non-stick frying pans will not work, I have to purchase others.
  2. The cook top I purchased has a "TEMP" and "HEAT" setting, I have to play with it to learn how to cook using both :o .

We have a True Duo in a 2016 motorhome. We're very disappointed with it. We of course use only induction cookware (Magma Induction) and have no complaints with the mid to upper heat ranges but the low end is inconsistent and way off in temp. We're at sea level yet the cooktop will boil at 180 degrees. The heat increments are 30 degrees each. So the next higher one would be (and is) 210. That's a very fast boil We tried paper between the burner and pan, a paper plate and a plate.

Very hard to simmer, slow cook or keep warm. We'll see what happens when we get to the factory for some other issues.

We have a True Duo in a 2016 motorhome. We're very disappointed with it. We of course use only induction cookware (Magma Induction) and have no complaints with the mid to upper heat ranges but the low end is inconsistent and way off in temp. We're at sea level yet the cooktop will boil at 180 degrees. The heat increments are 30 degrees each. So the next higher one would be (and is) 210. That's a very fast boil We tried paper between the burner and pan, a paper plate and a plate.

Very hard to simmer, slow cook or keep warm. We'll see what happens when we get to the factory for some other issues.

Ok, can you explain what is the difference between the heat and temp?

On my Farberware when it is set to keep warm the temp is 138-140.

We are about one week in to the use of the NuWave Induction Cooktop, and also bought a 3qt, pan and a skillet (from two different sources), and my wife, who is our cook, is really liking it. We also have, and have used very often, a Presto electric skillet, a couple of inches deep. There is very little likleihood that the three burner propane range cooktop will be used again. She may want a larger pot and may also add a small size slow cooker (the one we have at home is too large for this little rig).

I fully expect she'll use the induction cooktop in the house when we get back home. Thus far we call it a good buy. Will try to follow up after a few more months go by. Thanks again for the good input.

Doc Mike

Joe. Forget about skillet corn bread and scratch chili or, stew! Hard to regulate heat, that's why I went with regular electric...I love Cajun food and it's long cooking, unless your deep frying, now that you can do on Induction! I also love my cast iron and other cookware.

Carl

Joe. Forget about skillet corn bread and scratch chili or, stew! Hard to regulate heat, that's why I went with regular electric...I love Cajun food and it's long cooking, unless your deep frying, now that you can do on Induction! I also love my cast iron and other cookware.

Carl

You love Cajun food also? Good to know, I was able to maintain a steady temp after I played with it a few more times, it seems like the quality of the cookware really makes a difference. The SS regular frying pan I have in the coach is a no name brand, I struggled with it, when I tried it again using an All Clad SS regular frying pan from the house on it all was fine. :blink:

I prefer to cook over the fire as often as possible. I have a Tri Pod from www.toughtripod.com and a few Lodge cast iron dutch ovens that hang from it (plus the standard open grille that came with it). I modified the handles on the dutch ovens with "quick links" welded to the handles so they don't slide over and dump the food onto the fire. I usually only cook breakfast in the coach everything else is either over the fire or by charcoal on my portable weber grill. Rainy days I will use an electric slow cooker for dinner or I get talked into locating a local hot spot for dinner out. I haven't figured out a way yet to bring a smoker with me yet, the one at home is too large, someday I will when I locate the right one that can be closed up and cleaned up easily. And its BBQ time!

I think it's really good option to buy an induction cooker.It's cooks food really fast and there are several modes like roasting, boiling, slow cooking , milk etc..Also you don't have to worry too much when your cooking gas gets over. The only prob arises when there's a power cut and there's no electricity.And also make sure you use the right kind of vessels cause all vessels cannot be used for an induction cooker .