mapleskoff

Induction Cook Tops

Joe.

Google New Bransfeld Smokers, Even CW used to have a fully enclosed RV size smoker! We have a store here called Academy, believe they have a catalog. For off the wall stuff try Katz of Houston!

Carl

Thanks Carl, I actually found this company (link below), and I will look into your recommendation as well. We can put away some BBQ in this family and I love to cook it. I'm that guy at the campground cooking up a bunch of food meeting new people. I might need the trailer type and hook it to the back of the jeep :blink: .We will look like the Beverly Hillbilly's rolling down the highway. :D I mentioned it to the DW the other day, and I got that stare.... :unsure: , so I let it go at that point. The next trip we go out looking for that local BBQ place and the food isn't that great, she will come around.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/town-travel-portable-series/ptg/TFT17LLA.html#gclid=CLbj3PbKn8sCFYUWHwodITkOdA&start=23

The cooktop to which your link points is probably the preferred replacement unit when it comes to removing the gas cooktop.

My wife and I both preferred induction cooking. We started with a portable type. Once we started, we never lifted the cover for the gas stove; i.e. we never looked back. This past Christmas we got ourselves the TrueInduction unit. I have just finished putting it in place.

I removed the gas cooktop and capped the gas lines. They are still in place since there is room to move them to the side. I next ran some romex to the basement drilling a hole through the floor near the outside wall. I put a duplex receptacle in a box for plugging the induction cooktop into. At the other end I tapped into (at a junction box) the service for the basement TV. Also on that line are two receptacles in the bedroom (seldom used).

I removed the matching corian cover. It is the folding variety. The back edge had venting to allow heat to escape when covering the original stove if covered prematurely. The front edge of the cover matches the sculpted edge of the cabinets (we have a Newmar Dutch Star).

I mounted the induction stovetop so that it was no more than three inches from the front edge. That leaves a gap to the back toward the wall. Using the larger piece of corian from the cover I created a storage box that fits the hole with a back side higher than the other three sides. This box serves two functions. First, with the higher edge toward the rear it helps hold things in place on the counter since there's about three inches of the original counter at that point. Wine bottles fit perfectly as do water bottles (take your pick of rehydration source). The box has space for spices, etc.

When you remove the stovetop you'll note that a gap exist between the left and right sides of the cabinet. I cut a board the proper width and matched the wood tone. It serves as the base to which I glued the front lip of the cover (cut to a depth of 2.5 inches).

That meant that there was space to put in a drawer of shallow depth. My wife will use this for cooking utensils and other kitchen things that aren't too deep. I ordered a drawer front from an online service that offers a variety of edge styles and wood varieties.

I have found no other "drop-in" that works as well as this model which is probably why the builders are using it.

We also were surprised at the way it operates in that it protects the circuitry. You can't use over the 15-amp limit in spite of it having two burners. It automatically clips one burner's power setting if you go higher on one. As they have is set, you can't go over a combination of 10 on the power setting. So, if one burner is at 7 the other can only be doing 3 regardging wattage/amperage draw. That's a nice feature.

Byron

I found this on the web:

http://www.biggamegrinders.com/product_detail_22976.aspx#product_descriptions

Is there a manufacture that has a direct replacement option to swap out a propane unit? I have room to cut out the Corian to make it larger, smaller is not an option.

Ok, can you explain what is the difference between the heat and temp?

Heat refers to the wattage/amperage draw. Settings go from 1 through 10 with the default being 5 when either burner it turned on. Temp, of course, refers to the approximate temperature setting. Temps can be a bit tricky to control at lower settings by virtue of the design and the type of pan being used. The burner cuts down when the temp at the surface is reached. Since the surface can stay warm, there is still heat to transfer or distribute through the pan. Depending on the properties of the pan, the heat can build up to a higher temp or dissipate somewhat. Also, whether the pan is covered or not makes a difference as does the type of food being cooked. All of this makes for some variables. That being said, temperature control is like cooking on anything else -- experience and brain power count for somethings. It was that way in the gas days and the typical electric stoves, too. Shucks, evey electric frying pans and griddles have their temperature issues. But, the process does save a lot of heat and gas odor issues in the coach.

Byron

Joe.

You, need "something new to play with"? :blink: A better mouse trap, for the week-end warrior! :P No wonder your DW gives you, that stare... :D

Carl

Carl, our coach is loaded with gadgets and gizmos, I love that stuff, ask ObedB he was over yesterday to chat and get the grand tour.

I will say it all works to make traveling more comfortable.

My wife used the induction cook top for most of February. Bought a 3 quart pot w/lid, and a frying pan. She hadn't used the three burner, propane range in a number of years. Induction cooker seems to work very well. It is cooler in the house without the propane burners on, and the device is quite efficient. Also being used is the microwave and an electric frying pan. The frying pan was used much less since the induction cooker has been in use. The only downside that we notice is this: for some reason, and we suspect sound, our dog, a Springer Spaniel, starts to bark when the device is started. We suspect that it makes a sound that our ears cannot detect, but his can. The quality of the food, and the speed in which it is cooked is much faster than traditional methods. Glad that we bought it, and we're sure it will be used a great deal. Hope this info helps others.

Doc Mike

My wife used the induction cook top for most of February. Bought a 3 quart pot w/lid, and a frying pan. She hadn't used the three burner, propane range in a number of years. Induction cooker seems to work very well. It is cooler in the house without the propane burners on, and the device is quite efficient. Also being used is the microwave and an electric frying pan. The frying pan was used much less since the induction cooker has been in use. The only downside that we notice is this: for some reason, and we suspect sound, our dog, a Springer Spaniel, starts to bark when the device is started. We suspect that it makes a sound that our ears cannot detect, but his can. The quality of the food, and the speed in which it is cooked is much faster than traditional methods. Glad that we bought it, and we're sure it will be used a great deal. Hope this info helps others.

Doc Mike

Doc, good to know about the dog, our dog already has a few screws loose, this should be interesting, lol. We have a chihuahua Jack Russell mix. 9lbs of pure goofiness. Can't wait for Easter weekend now.

Update: we used it a few times over the weekend while out on the first of many excursions this year. It worked great!

DW liked it and my oldest daughter liked it over the propane, she told me it felt safer to cook on. I also used it to keep a pot on the stove warm, it did a fantastic job.

No complaints.

Thanks Kay! :)

I was thinking why a person could not have a thin 10" diameter piece of metal cut too lay on the burner and then you should be able to use any type of cookware even Corningware. I am sure it would affect the cooking temperature but it would be a small adjustment. Just a thought.

Question, what brand cookware do you use with your induction setup and how does it perform? Here is the reason for my question; I tested this in the house before permanently installing in the coach. I placed an All-clad pot on it (large one) 3/4 full of water and it boiled it in less than half the time the propane cooktop in the coach would do it. I checked the cookware in the coach to see if was magnetic, it was so I left it alone, tried to boil water for the first time with the no name brand stuff we already had in the coach and it seems like the quality of the cookware is having an impact on how well the induction works. The pot was half the size of the All Clad I tested it with and it literally took over a half hour to boil. I am thinking my cheap no name brand stainless steel cookware is my problem. The Frying pans I bought recently that were not cheap work great on it.

So what recommendations do you have for a Stainless steel set and are you happy with it, or should I just go and purchase expensive gear like in the house?

Thank you

Bill, I removed a two burner Princess propane cook top and replaced it with a two burner True induction.

here is a photo of the finished product.

I like the fact that it cuts the interior heat down significantly and with good cookware it should speed up cooking time, the down side is from the sounds of it I have to replace more cookware. It also doesn't like my MSW inverter, which is fine since when I cook on the road I run the generator anyway, but while in transit down the road I installed a switch to shut the power off to it so I don't have to cycle the breakers when we arrive to reset the safety feature.