Sign in to follow this  
1stmate

Automatic Steps

Our powered steps have decided to stop working. Unfortunately they are in the closed position which puts the pin and bolt under the steps and unreachable.

How can we get access to the motor and pin to release the steps.

Everything we have read deals with the steps in the out position not in.

1st mate,
Welcome to the Forum.

I have released the step by just unhooking the drive motor assembly. It is only a little bit easier then pulling the pin. But before dropping the motor try a long rod and see if you can straighting the cotter pin and hooking it to pull it out. If you can't get there then drop the motor.

Herman

In March of 2014 mine got stuck, as yours, in the in position. Made my dog real unhappy! Make a long story short, Rich came up with the answer. First grease every joint on step, then take (I used a rubber head) a hammer and start hitting motor & armature of motor, there is a reset in there and after hitting for about 10 minutes, I gave up and shut the door, then opened the door, step came out and has worked ever since.

I now lube it every month and wait until step is fully extended before stepping on it. The whole step by step, is under electrical, this Forum 3/14 by manholt.

Carl

You need to determine what brand of step you have. Kwikee and Lippert are common ones. Kwikee's need to be kept lubricated as mentioned, otherwise not many complaints about them. Lippert's, however, are currently involved in a major safety recall. Over 47,000 steps being recalled. Google "Lippert Safety Recall" for more information. Yes, I know Lippert now owns Kwikee, but the steps are different designs.