mainiac33

Caterpillar C7 Engine Codes

Hey Folks,

New to this site and trying to get some help on Girlfriends Box truck (2006 International) that has a Cat C7 Engine. I own an 85 Jayco Mini class-c, but Girlfriends rig is broke presently.

Little background on me and problem I'm trying to troubleshoot and repair. I work on aircraft for a living and do most all my own auto repairs, except for tires and alignments. I have a decent code reader for automotive stuff...but these diesel engines use a far more expensive reader and info on the net is a lot more scarce than it is on other automobiles.

Issue with this truck is originally there was thought to be water in the fuel...truck would shut down every 2 mins from engine protect. This is 3rd hand info as it was before I met her.

What I've done: Drained a gallon of fuel from each tank, let sit in clear containers, no water appears to be present. Removed Dieselpro-210 fuel/water separator...this did have some junk in it... not to much, but unsure how much if any water in it. Ended up breaking one of the fuel heater probe ends as it was corroded and broke when I removed the electrical leads. Truck is in FL and figured I could leave the heater element leads disconnected and heat shrinked along with the heater thermostat connector as I could not find a fuse labeled for fuel heater. Fuel in water probe tested good with a multimeter and again after everything back together and full of fuel. Also replaced primary and 2ndary fuel filters after cleaning out the 210 prior to restarting.

Truck will only run approximately 20 seconds now and shuts down after rapid engine protect light sequence. Disconnected Fuel-In-Water wire from 210, and same results. Truck is an hour away from where I live, so I'm trying to gather info for my next trip over there. Figured out how to see the codes on the digital display today and

codes are: ECU-128 ICU-140 bh-164 ABS-136

Codes I saw on internet are 2 digit codes followed by 3 digits...not matching these.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gentleman,

Use the diagnostic lamp to determine diagnostic flash code. Use the following to retrieve diagnostic codes if engine with a diagnostic lamp:

First turn cruise control On/OFF switch to The OFF position.

Second move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash. Note: the YELLOW lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and SET/RESUME switch may be released.

The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of diagnostic code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of diagnostic code.

Any additional diagnostic codes will follow after a pause and will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 signals that no detected faults have occurred since key switch was turned to the on position. Troubleshooting is not required for codes 35, 41, 47 and 55.

Codes that will shut engine down, Injection Actuation Pressure sensor Code 17
Injection Actuation Pressure Control Valve fault. Code 18
Engine RPM Signal Fault. Code 34
Intermittent Battery Power to ECM. Code 51
High Coolant Temperature Warning. Code 61
Low Coolant Warning. Code 62
Ignition Key fault Code 71

Whenever the Electronic Control Module ( ECM ) detects an active fault or condition the lamp will flash at five second intervals. If the lamp turns on and if the lamp stays on after initial startup, the ECM has detected a system problem.

The Diagnostic lamp is also used for the idle Shutdown timer. Lamp will start to flash at a rapid rate 70 seconds before the programmed idle time expires. The engine will down after 70 seconds after a 70 second interval. To disable the idle shut down timer, the clutch pedal or the service brake pedal must be depressed during the event 70 seconds while yellow lamp is flashing.

A diagnostic EVENT code or Override of the idle shutdown timer will be logged in the ECM.

Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dave, thank you for the good info.

On this particular truck, the error messages actually are displayed on the speedo digital display, I figured if it was displayed as a code like ECU-128, you wouldn't need to retrieve anything counting flashes from check engine light...am I wrong?

. I'll have my girl friend go through the cruise control sequence you indicated to see what other codes come up in flashes I guess.

The last paragraph may have a couple clues though as I need her to reset the brakes, and the starter solenoid has a push button starter switch alligator jumpered across it with wires long enough to reach the cab like the solenoid is malfunctioning, or the ignition switch it self went bad.I hadn't had a chance to dig into that yet, but the auto shutdown things you mentioned could be one of those 2.

Update on this Rig...I am ashamed to say the engine was almost out of oil. Evidently its been burning at least a gallon/100 miles. GF said she had to add 3 gallons at a truck stop on way down because previous owner's mechanic forgot to tighten down valve cover bolts. I think I did check the oil level initially, but I must not have wiped the stick...I always wipe the stick on my truck, and everything I check, but for some reason (truck had been sitting/not run in a month), I just pulled the stick and it was up to the full mark. On this particular engine, oil must continue to drain onto the stick as long as it sits and will keep the stick coated to the full mark!. Most everything else I've worked on after a few days, oil level is fairly close to right w/o wiping the stick. Added 4 gallons of oil and is now reading on the stick and truck runs with no engine protect light anymore. For now we just need it to run to drive it to a long term parking lot. Oil pressure is 49 psi at idle and goes up some with throttle increase. Probly toasted the rings though at a minimum. Anyone know if this C7 engine has replaceable sleeves? I'm not a diesel mechanic, but heard these rigs have those sleeves vs boring cylinders. Do have an ABS light on though to deal with now though.

No, the C7 is a parent bore engine, no replaceable sleeves.

But, there are companies who bore and install liners-- saw it being done by an outside firm at Mustang Caterpillar in Houston.

But, before doing anything major, I would sure change the oil and filter and then verify that the engine is damaged. But, agree with you, running any engine 3 gallons low on oil CAN cause major damage!