greenbarn1

Atwood Furnance Motor Squealing

Hello, have a 2004 American Tradition with two Atwood hot air furnaces.

Had a blower motor bearing go bad on one squealing terribly. In southern Florida no mobile guy wants to mess with it. Lazy days says $129.00 an hour and they don't do many so can't give ballpark figure.

Not sure if repair or replacement is the best route.

Thanks Carl.

Carl,

If you or a tech can do the work, I would replace the unit with a new blower. If it is that difficult to get to it, it would be better the have a new unit that will last then a repaired unit that will not last near as long.

Herman

The fan motors have BUSHINGS, no bearings.

I would start by having you try to oil it-- and if that did not work, indeed replace it.

Buy some light viscosity non-detergent oil. Sewing machine oil, for example. If you can find one with a long spout, that is better. If not, you can use a long screwdriver to apply a drop at a time.

From the outside, access the fan motor. Put a couple of drops of oil on either side of the fan motor and let the oil wick into the bushing area. Rotate the fan by hand and add another 2-3 drops.

If that does not work, replace the motor.

If you can get access try spraying the bearings with a little penetrating oil or any light oil. There is often a small fiber or felt washer on the shaft at the bearing. if you move it away from the bearing and put a paper towel under the shaft to catch drips or overspray while you lube it, (remove when done) it may stop the noise temporarily.

If you feel ambitious the motors are probably available on line.

Bill

Carl, I had one on our old coach doing the same, and oil didn't work for me. The fan was tricky but not horrible to replace (not a lot of room in there especially if you have big hands like me). I bought the replacement fan motor and blade at PPL. I think it took me an hour to do it. Just take pictures as you go just in case you need a reference in the event the noise comes back and you head down that path. I also cleaned out the burner while I was in there and replaced the nozzle and igniter also. At the time it was 12 years old and I figured some TLC was in order.

Great idea on taking pictures. I also lay my parts out in the order I remove them. Hopefully oil works for awhile. But I think the handwriting is on the wall. Nothing lasts forever.

Thanks again everybody for all the help.

Carl