hermanmullins

Oil Bath Hubs

I have called Parts Houses, Truck parts and service and REV Service in Alverado, TX.

No one can answer my question so I am reaching out to the Masters.

What kind of lubricant do I use in my Oil Bath Hubs?

Gear Oil? If so what weight 70-90 or 70-140?

:huh:

Thanks

Herman

Herman, we run 75W90 Full synthetic gear oil here. I am changing mine over to oil bath soon and that is what I am going to run.

I am curious to hear what others have to say.

Herman: I looked up the Freightliner raised rail front oil bath hubs and it calls for 80-90 hy poid gear oil. Synthetic would probably be good also. I have to do mine this year here soon and I would use the 80-90 or 75-90 synthetic. I need to get mine done so I can Head to Whitewright and ask were Herman lives and drop by for a visit.

Neil Van Dyk

F442182

Rocky Ford, Co.

Thanks Joe and Neil. Just need to top mine off for now. Might change to synthetic later on. Will need to learn how to flush out the gear lube and replace with synthetic.

Herman

Herman,

Buy one quart of synthetic gear lube.

Use an old transmission pump or even siphon in the middle fill hole to drain as much as you can.

Fill with new oil. Let it sit for 10 minutes to make sure it migrates all the way to the inner bearing area.

Drain and refill. If original oil was not pristine repeat again next time it is convenient.

Or, you can raise the wheel, remove the hub cap and use the drain. But to me, that is a lot more work than doing several "quick changes".

For a top off, isn't synthetic compatible with the existing lubricant??

Probably.

But, if you are already in there, the extra 2 minutes to suck out the old oil would be a reasonable expenditure of time.

One of many inexpensive hand pumps: http://www.amazon.com/IIT-17544-Siphon-Transfer-Pump/dp/B0043YIFGU/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1455230005&sr=1-10&keywords=oil+fluid+extractor

For a top off, isn't synthetic compatible with the existing lubricant??

Yes synthetic is compatible with the existing lubricant. How long has it been since it was changed?

If you were going to top off with synthetic I would do like Brett suggested and just change it that way you are protected with a better oil.

Bill

The bigger issue is the wheel seal, the oil has to be going somewhere. It may be just a simple seal or a deeper problem like bearings. How low is it? Is the oil clear? Synthetic oils, depending on brand. are mostly clear with a light brown tint and not much smell. All-purpose (Hypoid like Neil mentioned) is clear with a green tint and a very strong odor. A 2002 would have probably come frome the factory with Synthetic

Gary

The bigger issue is the wheel seal, the oil has to be going somewhere. It may be just a simple seal or a deeper problem like bearings. How low is it? Is the oil clear? Synthetic oils, depending on brand. are mostly clear with a light brown tint and not much smell. All-purpose (Hypoid like Neil mentioned) is clear with a green tint and a very strong odor. A 2002 would have probably come frome the factory with Synthetic

Gary

You are going to have some loss over time with any system using oil and moving rubber seals. Now I would bet a cold 6 pack that Herman's oil isn't down over .10 from the full line. Now if it keeps going down at a fairly fast rate like every 2000 miles it is time to dig deeper.

Bill

Bill, Just send Carl a gift card for the six pack. :D It was down .11 below the fill line. :lol: Topped the hub off with 80w-140w per a trailer service center. I do plan on draining both side and replacing the lube with synthetic this summer. The service center said that there would be no harm done if I mixed the lubes other then it might discolor the cover plate. My plan it to change both the covers and the gaskets when I make the change.

I saw that the oil bath hub was made by Stemco in Longview, Texas. I did business with them over 40 years ago. I sold them Hex Head Cap Screws for the hubs.

Herman

You are going to have some loss over time with any system using oil and moving rubber seals. Now I would bet a cold 6 pack that Herman's oil isn't down over .10 from the full line. Now if it keeps going down at a fairly fast rate like every 2000 miles it is time to dig deeper.

Bill

Yes, there is an inner and outer seal as well as the seal around the clear plastic hub on most wet wheel bearing set ups.

A leak from the plastic hub area (seal or center plug) or outer seal will show as radial streaks on the wheel coming from the center.

A leak from the inner seal will be more difficult to see, but more of a concern, as oil can leak down on the brake shoes/pads.

Because of the small volume (measured in ounces, not pints or quarts), I would be concerned about any change in oil level. Occasionally, we see evidence of loss of all the oil (again only a couple of ounces). If this occurs at speed, the bearings seize up and can cause the wheel to stop rotating or even break the spindle allowing the wheel to fall off.

Again, a pretty trouble-free set up and easy to service (oil change), but one does need to keep their eyes on them.

Bill, Just send Carl a gift card for the six pack. :D It was down .11 below the fill line. :lol: Topped the hub off with 80w-140w per a trailer service center. I do plan on draining both side and replacing the lube with synthetic this summer. The service center said that there would be no harm done if I mixed the lubes other then it might discolor the cover plate. My plan it to change both the covers and the gaskets when I make the change.

I saw that the oil bath hub was made by Stemco in Longview, Texas. I did business with them over 40 years ago. I sold them Hex Head Cap Screws for the hubs.

Herman

Tell Carl that the Pony express picked it up this morning. ;) I can't believe you are falling down on your maintenance items. :o

Brett, If they weren't expected to loose some oil during normal use they probably wouldn't have the handy sight window. One thing I forgot to mention is on the cap/center plug there is a vent hole. If this vent isn't kept open it can build up pressure in the hub forcing oil past the seals. This can happen even if the seals are in good condition.

Bill

OK Bill will a toothpick do to make sure the ventilator hole is open?

Carl, will go ahead and buy and send you the receipt. You might have to send him your address on a PM.

So sorry to hear about Ray Huffman's wife's health.

Herman

Sorry guys I've been playing in the snow up here in Colorado and did not send the reply with my own story with the oil level on the hubs.

I have owned my coach for about five years and serviced it for the previous owner for about ten years before that.

In the past, I would check the hubs before every trip and during the trip if I feel like it. This fall I was replacing the tires and pulled the chrome caps on the front and noticed the oil level on one was about two line widths under the full line. After pulling the wheel to replace the tire, I thought it would be a good time to grease the king pin and other fittings while they were easy to get to. That was when I noticed a little bit of oil on the back, not enough to make a mess but enough to replace the seal and miss what may have been some trouble on the road.

Now knowing that the coach was a '98 and these were probably original I just replaced the other one also. The rears will be changed this year before our summer travels start, since my wife and kids hate to wait even to put in 150 gal of fuel.

There are lots of things besides the tires on these that will age out over time before they ever wear out.

Gary

OK Bill will a toothpick do to make sure the ventilator hole is open?

Carl, will go ahead and buy and send you the receipt. You might have to send him your address on a PM.

So sorry to hear about Ray Huffman's wife's health.

Herman

No you have to buy the complete "Vent Hole Remediation Kit" from Camping World For about $250.00 They can do it for you but I think it will cost about 8 hours labor. Yes I think a toothpick will work just be carful not to break it off and have it fall inside the cover. Being an old sheet metal man I might use a small drill bit say around a #40 depending on how big the hole is.

Yes sad to hear his wife is having problems. I hope her health improves and they can get back on the road.

I sent Carl my contact info by carrier pigeon just before dark. He should stay up and watch for it to come in.

Bill

Good grief, I'll die of thirst first... :blink: Last seen your pigeon was on a suicide mission to the "Cibolo Guest Ranch"! :P<_<

I have black streaks on some off my wheels and South Plaines Cummins will look at it the 24th. I have given them a wish list that will take, per them, 2 days to complete! Normally, I would do some of it myself and I would also stay with the coach, but I will be entertained with recuperating from dental implants! :(-_-

It may be just soft cheese and wine, no crackers in Perry! I doubt the pigeon will catch up to me... :lol:

Carl

Sorry guys I've been playing in the snow up here in Colorado and did not send the reply with my own story with the oil level on the hubs.

I have owned my coach for about five years and serviced it for the previous owner for about ten years before that.

In the past, I would check the hubs before every trip and during the trip if I feel like it. This fall I was replacing the tires and pulled the chrome caps on the front and noticed the oil level on one was about two line widths under the full line. After pulling the wheel to replace the tire, I thought it would be a good time to grease the king pin and other fittings while they were easy to get to. That was when I noticed a little bit of oil on the back, not enough to make a mess but enough to replace the seal and miss what may have been some trouble on the road.

Now knowing that the coach was a '98 and these were probably original I just replaced the other one also. The rears will be changed this year before our summer travels start, since my wife and kids hate to wait even to put in 150 gal of fuel.

There are lots of things besides the tires on these that will age out over time before they ever wear out.

Gary

Gary, sounds like you have it figured out, much easier to fix at home then sitting along the roadside. I will be switching mine over to oil bath this year since I am due for a grease repack this year. Good luck and safe travels.

I learn something new everyday. I tell my kids, age 10 and 14 who think they know everything, when you quit learning you are dead.

Gary

Hi Gary. You're right. Learn something new each day! Don't ever win a 6 pack from a guy who uses a pigeon for delivery! :lol:

Carl

Hi Gary. You're right. Learn something new each day! Don't ever win a 6 pack from a guy who uses a pigeon for delivery! :lol:

Carl

HAHA :D

Well Carl, if it is like my place you have way to many pigeons anyway and they would just want to make more.

Gary