hermanmullins

Oil Bath Hubs

I absolutely agree Carl, those of us fortunate enough to be able to wash our coaches can keep an eye on the water.

For those who use commercial truck washes and the like need to keep an eye out.

Now talking about water I do have a short story that I laugh about now, not so funny then.

My daughter was helping me wash ours when she was 6 or 7. I was brushing and she was rinsing. We were at the back when I came around the corner and she was filling the exhaust pipe with water. I can't remember how long it took to bubble the water out and dry up.

Gary

HAHA, that's funny. Got to love kids. :D

Herman, I was walking through the yard the other day at work and thought of you, snapped a photo of a new tractor with oil bath hubs and posted it in the gallery section. It has the oil requirement sticker on the window.

just in case anyone was wondering, the photo is a from a 12,000lb Meritor steer axle on a 2017 Volvo Tandem axle day cab

Photo; http://community.fmca.com/gallery/image/4039-img-2172/

Herman, I was walking through the yard the other day at work and thought of you, snapped a photo of a new tractor with oil bath hubs and posted it in the gallery section. If I knew how to put a link on here I would. It has the oil requirement sticker on the window.

Joe,

To post the picture:

1. Go to the gallery.

2. Click on the picture you want to post

3. At the top of the screen will be the address "community.fmca.com/..." Highlight or just right click on it.

4. Select Copy from the drop down menu.

5. In your current post where you want to add the link, right click and select Paste from the drop down menu.

6. the link will be added.

http://community.fmca.com/gallery/image/4039-img-2172/

Joe,

To post the picture:

1. Go to the gallery.

2. Click on the picture you want to post

3. At the top of the screen will be the address "community.fmca.com/..." Highlight or just right click on it.

4. Select Copy from the drop down menu.

5. In your current post where you want to add the link, right click and select Paste from the drop down menu.

6. the link will be added.

http://community.fmca.com/gallery/image/4039-img-2172/

Thank you! Got it

I use 80 w90 and Lucas Hub oil 50/50 and can't see any reason to change the hub oil, my SILaw has 5 18 wheelers and they put a few 100,000 miles on them and never change the oil unless a problem.

Walt

Wow, 58 posts before mine.

My semi had Stemco hub covers. There was no need to suck the oil out of the plug hole, there was a drain plug on the side of the casting. The same drain is visible on the pic of the Volvo that somebody posted above.

My Country Coach has the same set up. There is no need to suck or plan on how to drain the hub, it has a drain plug on the side of the casting. Takes an Allen head wrench to remove it. Very easy to do.

Hope this helps.

Hey Rex,

Some guys are just slower to getting into it...A little Super High Intensity Training. Both of the Safari coaches I have are oil bath with drain plugs on the side of the hub cover, easy to drain, wait a little while replace plug and refill.

Bill

I'm starting to really like the older, pre 06' coaches that Monaco used to own and two that they still own...no I will not even look at the new ones. I looked at every coach available for sale in Perry....they all have a lot off useless "Bling"! It amazes me that people buy a coach for the Bling and not the chassis and engine !

Back to oil hubs, sorry I vented.

Carl

Carl...seems to me if you get a mid to high quality coach, you'll get a good chassis and enough engine. The problems are with the lower or entry level coaches.

I do not think there is a kit per se it might be a change of hubs as the bath type have a lot more face on the hub than a typical greased brg hub...I could be wrong would not be the first time.

Carl, I agree with you on the earlier coaches versus much later way to much "Bling". It amounts to conspicuous consumption in economic terms. Woods were solid on the early coaches and were real, not stained to look richer than they are.

Bill Edwards

Bill,

Where is Evergreen? Do you have any Porches on display? I love any thing automotive and especially restorations.

We will be visiting our kids in Cheyenne this summer and don't want to pester them too much by being under foot all the time. I know my son will have some projects for me, but hope to drive around for a while also.

Herman

I'm starting to really like the older, pre 06' coaches that Monaco used to own and two that they still own...no I will not even look at the new ones. I looked at every coach available for sale in Perry....they all have a lot off useless "Bling"! It amazes me that people buy a coach for the Bling and not the chassis and engine !

Back to oil hubs, sorry I vented.

Carl

Carl, I agree. Ours would be perfect if it were 3' longer with a tag axle.

Oil bath hubs, no kits available, you just remove your dust cap and take it to a truck parts place and match it up with the oil filled design. I am partial to Stemco, that is all I have ever used and probably all I will ever use. I pulled my wheels and cleaned out most of the of the grease, replaced the seal (same seal with grease or oil) reassembled, installed the new cap, filled it with 75W90 full synthetic Mobil gear oil. I have seen many people just replace the cap, if the grease is not filthy just fill r up with gear oil and forget about it. My OCD would not allow me to do that. :blink:

My caps do not have the drain on them, like the one in the picture http://community.fmca.com/gallery/image/4039-img-2172/

The parts store told me they had them in stock, when I arrived I noticed they were lacking the drain (its an option), I wasn't going to leave the coach apart while I waited for them to arrive. Here is my finished product http://community.fmca.com/gallery/image/4095-img-2125/

You have me thinking about doing the conversion. It sounds pretty simple. I don't think I could just fill it up either. Sounds like a good time to remove the bearings and clean and inspect them.

Bill

Just my opinion, but I would not make a "special process" of converting to oil bath. Yes, when servicing brakes or wheel bearings, the additional cost would be well worth it.

Bill, I was told to repack front bearings annually, you might want to get those checked. Since I am on year number two I figured if I have to tear them down for a repack I'm switching over.

I have had it on the to do list but haven't got it done yet. It seems like a opportune time to do the conversion. I am waiting for my oil sample results to come back so I can change my oil. I want to get everything done because we are going south to Fredricksberg Tex end of next month fo a couple of weeks. I have a couple of outer mods I want to get done to.

Bill

Five. Your coach and mine is basically the same coach, I'm a 10', your a 14' and you got a bigger engine...we have the same Bling.

Joe. You don't need 3' more for a tag...there are several manufacturers out there that put a tag on 38' to 43' coaches! Dutch Star by Newmar, Nimbus by Foretravel, HR, Newell to name a few ! :)

Bill E. You should look at American Coach, 2016 Dream...Bling in cabinets that look like they belong in a Gulf Stream G5, Private Jet ! I'll blind you ! :wacko:

Herman. Evergreen is in the mountains, about 25 miles WNW of Denver, CO., small and beautiful area! :)

Carl

Carl, my issue with a tag axle on anything under 45' is it takes away basement storage. We don't have enough now. Two full pass through bays Between Monaco and Roadmaster I lost some valuable space in the basement. On a good note everything is easily accessible if I ever have a concern.

Joe. Google "Motorhomes of Texas", they have the perfect coach for you, a 45' Newell with no slides to keep your DW happy! :):rolleyes:

Carl