hermanmullins

Oil Bath Hubs

Don,

You are correct-- sorry this one kind of wandered at the end.

Appreciate the reminder to stay on topic or start a new topic.

Thanks.

They are often enjoyable after the original question has been dealt with. Dealing with grease packed or wet hubs really is kind of basic. They both work quite well. Large trucking companies with far more to lose than one of us will decide on one or the other, and service accordingly.

Ok My goal is to get this topic back on track. I had always thought my hubs were the grease packed type. Therefore I had not re packed them and haven't pulled the front wheel covers off. Well what do you know I have oil bath hubs. :P

Yesterday I drained the oil (they have the drain ports) and re filled with Royal Purple gear oil. There are a couple of things I noticed:

One is the drain plugs have magnets built in, so check for excessive metal shavings. It would be extremely easy to under fill the hub. When you add the new oil it takes a long time to flow back in the hub. It will look full but 5-10 minuets later it is below the line.

I was doing a couple other things like changing the oil on the generator so I kept checking the oil level and re filling. I can see how easy it would be to not get enough oil in the hubs. Say at a shop where they were in a hurry to get you out.

Well I am glad I pulled the wheel covers off to measure the bolt pattern as I was planning to convert to the oil bath style.

I don't know how much the hubs are suppose to hold or that I got all the old oil out (I didn't have anything to suck it out) I may do a repeat after a trip to Fredericksburg next month.

Bill

Bill, most likely you didn't get it all out, I am pretty sure you won't without pulling the outer bearing and sliding a small straw down in to the larger cavity within the hub with a suction gun attached. I would not worry about it, maybe change it annually if it concerns you the same way you just did it (without a full tear down). In the trucking world (same design) the oil only gets changed when a seal fails.

Glad to hear you are already equipped, I was getting concerned on the condition of the grease if you had it.

I was getting concerned about the grease too. I had not looked at or re-packed the front hubs since I got the coach. Although the miles are much less than in the trucking world, I do like to keep up on maintenance. That is why I was looking at going to the oil hubs. I think the oil hubs are a better system.

I was just thinking I do have a small vacuum pump for pulling oil samples. If I can find a container that will screw on I can use it. The tubing is only ¼ so it may fit in to the hub with out disassembly.

Bill

Well I thought I would re visit this old thread. I changed the oil on my hubs in March of last year. I found I have a "drain" and used that to get all the oil out that would drain out. I re did the hubs yesterday while it was a nice 80* day. The oil I got out looked like new oil. so with the change this time I feel I have gotten the majority changed. When you drain it there is possibly some you can't get out, that's why I did it twice.

I will add this "CAUTION" when you are adding the new hub oil it takes a fairly long time for it to seep back through the bearings. It may look full but in 4-5 min will be below the full line. You can rotate the tires to speed this up. This also gives you a chance to feel for any play or roughness in the bearings.

Bill