Question

My copilot and I plan to spend a few months in warmer climates this winter. We have been checking out both Florida and Texas as possibilities. Since I have a trade show in Houston, TX at the end of Feburary it makes sense to go ahead and commit to Texas. At first glance it appears that monthly rates are much, much cheaper in Texas than in Florida. We have read some good reviews about various campgrounds in Texas along it's southeast Gulf shore. We own a 36' Bounder Class A.

It would be great if we could find a place that we would not have to move from for me to run into Houston for the trade show, but that is low on the priority list. Finding a nice place to stay where it is warm is much, much higher. I am hoping to get some feedback from folks who winter in Texas or have some knowledge of it. Here are the sort of things we look for:

1. We try to avoid campgrounds where the lots are so close together you can barely open your awnings and slides. It's not too bad to have reasonably small sites as long as there is something there in the way of bushes, shrubs and trees to at least give the elusion of privacy. We really prefer state parks and federal campgrounds where the sites are somewhat separated. This isn't a deal breaker unless it's obvious you won't have any privacy.
  2. Since it will be a long term stay we will need full hook-ups. It surprises us how many campgrounds advertise monthly rates but don't offer full hook-ups. We don't want to have to run to the dump station every five to six days to empty the tanks.
  3. We'd prefer to be on or very close to the beach. But this is not essential. On a lake or river would be great. Or a super nice campground that offers everything else we look for would work nicely.
  4. We don't worry about wi-fi or other internet hookups. We use cellular broadbad. So we need good cell signal strength more than wi-fi access. We will be working from our RV.
  5. We don't care about shuffle courts, tennis courts or bingo. But it would be nice to be at a place that has nice social activities. Dances, pot lucks, karaoke, entertainment, etc.
  6. We'd rather not be at a place where there are permanent locals with trailers on blocks, old cars and all night parties.

These aren't all locked in stone, just what we look for.

We've heard that wind can be a big problem in Texas in the winter. The same can be said for Florida at times. How bad is it really?

Where have you stayed in Texas? What did you like about it? What did you NOT like about it?

If we didn't go to the coast what are our alternatives? Is there anything fairly nice around San Antonio?

I'm sure we aren't the only folks who have the same questions. Any feedback from membership would be greatly appreciated by all.

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Well, WG, you gave us plenty of what you like and don't like. I can address some of this, others will fill in more. First, our experience in Texas is based on over eight winters (we're into the first week of our 9th winter) in the state. Yes, it can be windy but not consistently. We've had winters when the wind blows 25 mph every time we play golf or tennis and other winters when the wind seldom blows. We've seen wet winters and dry winters, warm winters (last year) and cold winters. We winter in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) so when I say cold winters I'm talking temperatures in the low 40's or even into the 30's at night and daytime temperatures that don't get out of the 50's. The longest I've seen a stretch of weather that cold is in the range of a week. These cold temperatures are usually confined pretty much to the months of December and January. The further south you get, the nicer the weather becomes. In and around Houston you'll be guaranteed rainy weather and plenty of cool temperatures. In the RGV you will be a long days drive from Houston. Texas is a very big state!

We've spent time around San Antonio. It is beautiful country but you can subtract 10 degrees from the temperatures above. North of San Antonio around Boerne and New Braunfels you'll find communities with a strong German heritage. We've camped on the coast in Corpus Christi. There are great fishing opportunities and numerous parks for hiking and birding. Corpus Christi has excellent big city resources, movies, bowling, festivals, restaurants, etc. You can add 10 mph to the wind factor above if you camp on the coast. South Padre Island has a state park with RV Camping. We even see people with their RV's parked right on the beach (That's not for me!). I'm not sure about the rates but the campsites in the State Park are right near the beach. Just outside the state park is Dirty Al's Seafood Restaurant for great inexpensive seafood. Temperatures are cooler on the coast most times during the winter. As I write this the temperature is 82 degrees and that is the forecast for the high temperature for the rest of the week here in the RGV. just checked and the temperature on South Padre is 71 degrees right now.

There are literally hundreds of RV Parks here in the RGV and all along the TX coast as far as that goes. You'll find parks with huge dance halls and regular dances and parks located next to bird sanctuaries that offer convenience for the many birders who come to the RGV and the Texas coast each year. Some parks have 200 campsites, some have 20. There are parks on golf courses and parks under highway bridges - but they are close to shopping!!! Most every park has carry in dinners regularly, nobody starves here! There is usually a happy hour group or two within a park. Sometimes it's just you and a neighbor or two, sometimes it's a group of 20 or 30 in a big campfire circle. We take trips to Mexico to eat, shop, bicycle ride, or tour in buses. If you want you can learn to speak the local Mexican dialect of Spanish. There are an abundance of volunteer possibilities in communities, schools, parks, etc. Many campgrounds have positions for work campers who may spend a couple of days a week working in the campground to help defray the cost of their fees for camping. By the way, there is a paper published here in the RGV called "The Winter Texan." It lists activities going on at parks all over the valley as well as other shows and events. You can go to dances, dinners and other events in parks other than where you are staying. We're all one big family!

The natives here are friendly. They don't resent our presence like you will find in some parts of the country. We are known as "Winter Texans." There are special sale days for Winter Texans. There are whole sets of activities aimed at the senior citizens who arrive in the RGV every fall to spend the winter. There are also plenty of community activities year round and we're welcome to join in those activities as well. San Antonio in the spring has a parade just about every other week. South Padre Island has a convention center with regular shows. McAllen also has a convention center and an arena where you can see big performers or the local symphony orchestra.

You'll find parks that have everything you could want, concrete pads, sheds for storing your goods, high end wi-fi, etc. Cell service has been excellent in most places we've stayed. I've also seen parks where the roads were dirt, mud when it rains. Rates are lower here than in Florida for similar parks. Many parks here have seasonal rates which can save quite a bit of money for you. Some parks have annual sites at a rate that makes it very attractive to pay for the site for the year and then know that you can come and go as you please and have the same spot always ready for you. In our park once you take an annual on a site, you can make improvements like a concrete pad, shed, etc. When you decide to leave the park, you can sell those improvements to anyone who wants to take your site. We pay about $2200 a year for an annual on a site that is 30 x 55 feet. We're in a quiet area where the noisiest people around are usually glad to turn down the guitar if asked! There is that darned rooster at a neighboring residence that insists on crowing well before sunrise! Most of the parks here in the RGV have some permanent residents and there are many that are mixed mobile home and RV parks. In our park, older mobiles are moved out and there are requirements for keeping sites neat and well taken care of.

Most parks have an activity director who organizes trips, games from shuffleboard to softball. You can find most any card game you want to play and you'll find somebody who shares your interest in whatever you might be interested in. Our park has a large group of motor cycle enthusiasts. They go out for rides, long and short, when the weather is good. Sometimes in groups of two or three sometimes in a group of 20. There are tournaments within parks and between parks.

If you come, I'd advise staying for a short time in a park in an area you are interested in. Then spend some of that time touring other parks to see what they offer. If the area isn't to your liking, move on to another type area and spend a week or two exploring the parks in that area. I can almost guarantee that you'll find something that suits you here in Texas. There are so many parks here that I couldn't possibly give you a recommendation for one or another.

Come on down to Texas for some BBQ some great Mexican food and some Winter Texan fun!

Disclaimer: I do not work for the Texas Tourism Commission or the Chamber of Commerce. This is a totally uncompensated testimonial. If my advice is good, you can send Seajay 10 cents!

WG:

I would like to add that my parents wintered in the RGV for 3 yrs after my dad retired and then when my mother retired they moved there permanently for 13 more years. They ended up selling their TT and bought a Park Model. They also did as Tom mentioned, became Managers and Assitant Managers of the three parks they stayed at, two small and one very large. They loved the area the weather the people and all the activities. I am one year from retiring and i am sure my motorhome will find its way to the RGV.

Guest Wayne77590

Staying in the RGV may be nice, but it is about 360 miles and 5.5 hours travel time on the roads between Houston and, for example, Mission, TX. As stated, the weather down there is just as unpredictable as the weather around houston. One Christmas Day I can be running air conditioning, and the next year the furnace.

As stated, find a place for a short term and then look around from there as your base camp.

Here are some suggestions that I am familiar with:

Via Bayou RV Resort, Dickinson, TX (I can stop by and get information. No beach access but water around CG)

Green Caye RV Park, Dickinson, TX (About $350 a month, includes electricity, but call and verify. No beach access/water)

There are many more, but I would start with these two as a base and move from there. The campground review web site is a good place to look for what you want, but I'm not sure you will find all things you have listed.

Both of the above I listed are within about 40 miles of downtown Houston.

There are CG's closer to Houston, but they are more pricey. Check out Rayford Crossing for one. No beach.

San Antonio has many CG's but no beaches. San Antonio is a fun city. Climate is similar to Houston.

I live in Texas City, TX. Fourteen miles from Galveston, 40 miles from Houston. If I am in the area and can be of any help, let me know.

Good luck

They forgot to mention the best spot to eat and dance. Pepe's along the Rio Grand! It's close to Mission

Which is where we'll be heading on the 17th. Small CG 30 some sites fhu's. $198.00 per month + elect..

Seldom Rest Ranch and RV park off Bentsen Palm Dr. Mission. As mentioned lots to do or not do in the area.

Tell them John sent you.

Good Luck and Safe Travels,

John & Therese :rolleyes:

All right John and Therese, you started it!

For Mexican food in Mission, try Danny's Restaurant (there are at least 3 of these in the RGV but we like the one on 11th and Dunlop in Mission). If you want Mexican food in Mexico, El Johnny in Carmargo. For Mexican food and dancing in Mexico we prefer Arribas in Progresso. If you want Texas BBQ, we like Fat Daddy's on FM1015 just south of Weslaco or Willies (It ain't fancy but it's good) in Alamo and Edinburg. If its steak you fancy, well, it's Texas. You pretty much can't miss. We enjoy Republic of the Rio Grande on 10th Street in McAllen for fine dining. And these are just a few of the 100's of restaurants in the US 83 corridor along the Mexican Border. There are all the usual chain restaurants and many specialty restaurants. You'll find many that suit your style, whatever style that is!!!

We are currently traveling from the Villages, FL and are going to spend a couple of months in Texas. We are currently at Rayford Crossing RV Resort in Spring, TX (25 miles north of Houston) - it is a beautiful resort (only RV Resort in Texas rated 10/10/10 (they advertise this)). It is a 10. Far enough away from Highway traffic, beautiful level concrete sites, streets and patios. All RV's in the park are clean and tidy - the rate for a "deluxe" is $39 a nite, premium is $49.00 a nite). Lots of elbow room and is close to "The Woodlands" a major shopping area with restaurants/stores/bike trails, etc. We are heading from here to Mission Texas (Bentsen Palm Village) - all concrete pads/patios and next door to the Bentsen Palm State Park for birding. Another resort we stayed at in Houston is Lake View RV Resort - it also has concrete pads/sites and a beautiful lake. Hope this is helpful. We use "Big Rigs Best Bets" as our primary RV park locator for BIG RIGS and they are 90% on with their descriptions.

Linda and Spike Gundersheimer

2007 Monaco Camelot

The Villages, FL