gwtriker

Banks Power Pack

I have a 1998 Fleetwood Bounder 34J on a Chevy P30 chassis with a 454 gas engine and pull a 2003 Honda CRV.. On our cross country trip there were several steep mountain pass that proved to be quite a challenge. On one, we dropped to about 15 to 20 MPH and had had shifted into first gear several time on the way to the down hill side.

Several people have suggest I look into the Banks system to improve the pulling power, and gas mileage. One had put the Banks system on his similar size coach with the Ford V 20 engine and saw a very good improvement in both areas.

I would like to here from anyone on this topic, especially pertaining to the Chevy 454.

Thanks

Marty Link

The Banks system will help with power but most don't see a increase in mileage.

I have to bug you about your typo :) I bet your friend saw a big increase when he went from a V10 to a V20. :lol: I couldn't resist.

Do you do your own work? You could do a couple other tweaks.

Bill

I guess the increase in mileage is not my main concern. I would not like to unhook my CRV and have have someone use it to give me a boost on those tough grades.

Yes, I do some work on my vehicles. With all the electroincs in the newer vehicles, it is much more difficult to do power train work. I have had to repair a wiring bundle under the coach where a neighbors dog chew through it to get to a cat in the front wheel well. I just got all the wiring spliced and need to cover it and secure it, then get the engine started again. I have had all the batteries disconnected since there were bare ends hanging around that could have shorted to ground. I do not need to see the coach in flames.

I would be interested in the other tweaks you hinted at.

Thanks.

I guess the increase in mileage is not my main concern. I would not like to unhook my CRV and have have someone use it to give me a boost on those tough grades.

Yes, I do some work on my vehicles. With all the electroincs in the newer vehicles, it is much more difficult to do power train work. I have had to repair a wiring bundle under the coach where a neighbors dog chew through it to get to a cat iin the front wheel well. I just got all the wiring spliced and need to cover it and secure it, then get the engine started again. I have had all the batteries disconnected since there were bare ends hanging around that could have shorted to ground. I do not need to see the coach in flames.

I would be interested in the other tweaks you hinted at.

Thanks.

Well a lot depends on how long you plan on keeping this coach. The Banks set up will give a good improvement.

I would look at a tuner to help with performance. Talk to Banks they may have more ideas. After looking at your engine I noticed it is a computer controlled engine so it is harder to bump the timing back to a more pre smog setting. You could add the Single Shot water methanol injection for a little more power on those difficult hills. See if you can find a used Gear venders overdrive to give you more gears on steep hills. I am sure that others will be along with many ways to spend Your money.

Bill

I think I am going to have to stay with this coach for several more years. Old age and medical issues will be the determining factor. While I don't want to spend a lot of money on this coach, I do want it to be usable for a while yet. If the age and medical issues don't keep us from traveling. then we will probably up-grade, but not to a new unit.

I think I am going to have to stay with this coach for several more years. Old age and medical issues will be the determining factor. While I don't want to spend a lot of money on this coach, I do want it to be usable for a while yet. If the age and medical issues don't keep us from traveling. then we will probably up-grade, but not to a new unit.

I think the Banks up grade would be the best bang for the buck. I always recommend used. Look at PPL for ideas.

Bill

Advise on adding the Banks Turbo to your engine has been good.

When adding a Turbo to an engine not made for a Turbo gives me some concerns. I remember back in I believe 1993 Ford added a Banks turbo to their 6.3 diesel engine. The results were not good. The engine just couldn't handle it. Then in 1994 they came out with the Power Stroke, an engine designed for the Turbo, and had a very good and dependable engine.

There are a number of things you can do to improve your engines performance with out a Turbo. There are tuners that you may change on the fly to give you extra power when needed. Better exhaust system. Intake filters.

Of course you could add a Nitro Oxide system to give you that added boost. :P

Good Luck

Herman

Guess I will have to offer a "counter-point" here.

On an 18 year old vehicle, I would be concerned about adding much HP. What other systems will be over-stressed by more HP than designed to handle even when new: transmission? cooling system? rear axle? These and other components are already under a lot of stress on those long, steep grades.

Were it me, I would change to freer flow exhaust and perhaps RV-tuned headers, verify it was properly tuned and probably stop there.

Very good point Brett, reminds me of the old days when we installed a cut-out on the exhaust system for a needed short burst, LOL.

Of course we already had headers.

Since we all have a DP, perhaps it is difficult to think GAS.... :rolleyes: I have thought about and still thinking off adding a Banks to my Jeep! I did add a Banks System to my 97' Allegro. Results where impressive in every category, except fuel...$2,100 installed and a .02 mpg increase does not equate. Since all of Gales testing is done at Salton Sea, maybe that makes a difference, I don't know! :unsure:

There are a lot off older gas and diesel coaches out there that runs Bank System, I guess if it was bad for a 18 year old coach, we would have heard about disclaimers a long time ago! Don't remember when the first system came out to the consumer, but per his father in law, he was working on it in 82'! Father in law was my dads best friend in Santa Monica, CA. :P

Carl

Back in the 70's, when Dodge 440-3 was the most popular engine I designed a twin turbo, electronic fuel injection for my 30 ft Sportscoach. I could go up any hill with the cars but my millage was terrible.

Some good, mostly bad memory's of the Doge chassis, 440 and non radial tires! My headers kept warping....73' Landau & 81' Apollo. Yuk!

The previous owner of my coach added a Banks system but when he had a new head gasket installed by Cummins, they insisted on disconnecting it because of warranty.  It has the red sweeping Banks intake installed and two gauges in the dash that are disconnected.  He said I could have it hooked back up for 400.00but  I don't see a programmer or ECM for the Banks unit.  Does it have one and were would it be.  The plugs for the gauges are both disconnected behind the dash.  Any ideas?

14 hours ago, Strats said:

The previous owner of my coach added a Banks system but when he had a new head gasket installed by Cummins, they insisted on disconnecting it because of warranty.  It has the red sweeping Banks intake installed and two gauges in the dash that are disconnected.  He said I could have it hooked back up for 400.00but  I don't see a programmer or ECM for the Banks unit.  Does it have one and were would it be.  The plugs for the gauges are both disconnected behind the dash.  Any ideas?

What year and what engine? The gauges are most likely "boost" and "EGT". Look under the bed access to the engine. 

Bill

1998 Cummins turbo diesel.  I didn't see a box in the engine compartment.  I think the gauges are Boost and manifold temp.  Would the main electronic box or controller be behind the dash or  in the engine compartment.  Any pics of what I'm looking for? 

49 minutes ago, Strats said:

1998 Cummins turbo diesel.  I didn't see a box in the engine compartment.  I think the gauges are Boost and manifold temp.  Would the main electronic box or controller be behind the dash or  in the engine compartment.  Any pics of what I'm looking for? 

I think you have a 12 valve mechanical engine so I don't think you have a "Box" I know of some people who have added a different fuel plate but I don't think Banks offers those. They did offer a upgrade turbo and upgraded wastegate controller.

" I think the gauges are Boost and manifold temp." Yes but it would be Exhaust Manifold temperature or Exhaust Gas Temperature or EGT.  Just hook them up and see what you get.

Bill