BruceN53

RV Parks In Rio Grande Valley, Texas

Question

Hello,

We are looking for nice parks in the Rio Grande Valley and Harlingen Texas area that are dog friendly and fun for snow birding.

Bruce

4 answers to this question

There are plenty of them here but you will have to come take a look, book a short stay at a park near Bentsen State Park on the western end of the valley, a week or two and use the time to travel around touring some of the parks. Then you might spend a week or two at a park in the Harlingen area and do the same with parks in that area. This link has information on a number of RGV facilities. It lists 89 RV parks. For an independent review, check RV Park Reviews.

The parks in the RGV vary widely in condition, activity schedule, clientele, number of campsites, etc. Many have a full set of interesting activities on the grounds. If you enjoy bird watching and walking or bicycling in a state park, Bentsen State Park and the parks near there offer some great facilities right near the park. Some are really nice ($$) and others are simpler ($). Throughout the valley there are parks which have dance facilities. If you love to dance you'll find a number to choose from each weekend. Many have live bands. You don't have to live in the park to attend dances there. Most parks are a mixture of RV and mobile home sites. If you are interested in fishing and beach activities there are parks in the Port Isabel area that have docks at your site, bring your boat! There are good golf facilities throughout the RGV and the rates are quite reasonable. There are so many variables that I can't make a recommendation. I'm certain you can find one that fits you just like a glove. Rather than pick one from the brochure, use your trip this year to visit a number of them, explore the valley and then make your reservation for next year.

This is a great time of year to come try things out. Our overnight temperatures are in the 50's and 60's and daytime temperatures are in the low to mid 80's. There will still be a few cool days but they become the rare exception as February goes on. By March you can count on 60's at night and 80's or 90's during the day.

We have spent many years as Winter Texans and prefer the centre of the valley. In the area around Mc Allen ( Alamo) it is easy to go all over and I would agree that if it's your first year there check into a park for a week or two and check out parks until you find the one that is perfect for you. Some people will have gone home and there may be some real deals. And some will be taking Passport America this time of the year.

We spent a few weeks there last winter. Its an OK place. Older park, narrow one lane roads but still maneuverable. Lots of grass sites, nicer concrete sites can be had for a price. I'd say the activities, entertainment etc compared favorably to where we've wintered in Arizona. But those do take place in older facilities. Staff seems to be trying real hard to make it better . I was working on a couple major projects for the coach so I appreciated convenient access to a Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, RV parts and a pretty good hardware store.