irwinfmcalogon

Michelin vs Goodrich

Hi guys. This is my first post. I have a 39ft Winnebago Tour and am due for a tire replacement. I have priced the Michelin and the Goodrich 275/80R22.5 since they are both owned by Michelin. There is a considerable difference in price. Has anyone got any input as to the safety and ride issues between the two. I don't want to pay more money if it's just for the Michelin name. Thanks in advance for your input.

Bill

Yes. Both were. The Michelins were 481 and the Goodrichs were 384. I believe that both were 14ply (G rated). I think that Michelin has a version that is 15 ply (H rated) but Goodrich only has a 14 ply version. I'm not sure if I need anything more than the 14 ply rated ones.

Bill,

Look at your GVWR plaque (generally near driver's area to determine GAWR's.

Then go to the tire manufacturer's website for the tire you are considering. Does it meet the GAWR's of your coach (hopefully without being at maximum PSI= no safety reserve).

That will tell you whether the tire's carrying capacity meets your needs (G vs H).

If Tour is the same now as in 07', you'll find the GVWR info on back wall in closet, driver side! Also, what rating tires are you running now?

Carl

... since they are both owned by Michelin...

Bill

Michelin owns BF Goodrich, but I don't think they own GY.

Thanks for the input guys. I checked in my coach and the tag said the tires should be G rated. Also I check with the service guy at the place that I take my coach for service and he said that as long as the tire was G rated he didn't feel that there was any reason to spend the extra money for Michelin instead of Goodrich. When I checked with the tire dealer he said that the Goodrich tire had been hard to get but that he would put in an order so unless the Goodrich tires are not available I'm going with them instead of the Michelin. Thanks for the input. Just wanted you to know what I found out.

Bill

Bill,

In reading your post you stated that the Michelins were 471 and the Goodrich were 384.

You also said you had a tag. What size tires do you have? I just bought Goodyear G670s 298/80R-22.5 and they were $735.00 ea. ??

Herman

Herman,

I got the initial price information from the FMCA Michelin Advantage page on the internet. It ended up that when I called FMCA to register for the deal the final price for the Goodrich tires were $375 each which included tax. I see that you just got Goodyear tires and when I looked them up they appeared to be as expensive as Michelins. I asked the guy that I take my coach to for service if buying the Michelins was worth the extra money since Michelin owns Goodrich. He said that if the tires are G rated then he didn't think that there was that much value for paying the higher price. If you were set on Goodyear the FMCA program doesn't handle them. Only Michelin and Goodrich.

Bill

Herman there's a big difference in price between the 275's and the 295's in fact the 295's are more money then the 315's, I don't think the 295's are as popular as the other sizes. I replaced my 295's 2yrs ago and it was a rude awakening. Just my two cents Smokeater75

Herman,

You had better put that rig in gear and get down the hiway so you can wear some of that rubber money out before it ages out. I just replaced the rubber on the Panther with another Goodyear but not the 760. It was 140 a tire more a tire for the 760s and I thought I could get buy covering the tires to slow the aging process. The young guy that put them on said better deal for the money and I went with it. Primary difference according to a guy I spoke with at Goodyear is that there are no UV protectants in what I bought. I suspect that too you may have a better rolling tire as well. 275 R70 22.5 little tires next to yours, Load rating was J , 18 ply coach originally had 16 ply and speed rating was J=75mph

Now can you tell me why so many have had it with Goodyear? I priced the Michelins and could not justify the difference.

Bill

I just put 6 Michelins on my 2005 Fleetwood. I have only put A couple hundred miles on them. My cousins own an independent trucking firm with a large number of tractors and trailers. He has had Goodyear but swears by Michelin. When a guys spends thousands of dollars a year on tires I listen. He touted ride, noise and durability of the Michelins. He did say that the Goodyear don't scuff as much but they don't ride or wear as well.

The Michelins weren't cheap. $750 each but I don't plan on buying again on this coach. I paid $550 each.