Sign in to follow this  
greenbarn1

Door Harness

2004 American Tradition: the wiring harness that runs from door thru door jamb has broken almost all the way thru. Harness has about 12 - 20 gauge wires in it. Has anybody experienced this and how difficult was the repair. I have looked at a lot of Traditions and Eagles and they show signs of starting to break also. Maybe the fact that my coach has 105,000 miles on it has a lot to do with it. That's a lot of door opening and closing.

As they say "that depends" are you capable of doing the work or are you looking for a new harness? I don't see why it can't be repaired, all you need is access. When you go back together I would make shure all the sharp edges are covered with grommet and some plastic conduit around the wires to protect them.

Bill

Green,

Are you speaking about the outer sheath covering the wires that is cracking? If so you can replace it with heat srinkable tubing. You should be able to do the work yourself if you have both mechanical and electrical knowledge.

Herman

Herman, protective insulation and almost all wires are chopped clean. I didn't notice it until after I bought motorhome. Not the end of the world but power door locks, illuminated door handle, and who knows what don't work. It's really a cable carrying a lot of very small gauge wires.

I would replace all the wires and make sure to use fine stranded wire which will is much more flexible and resist breaking. Cover the harness with "snake skin".

First, I would call American Coach Tech Department with your Vin# and Fin#. They may have a more durable harness available. If not, then get a new one off the one you have. Good for another 105K and 12 years!

Carl