HenderNels

Northern Route - Upper Peninsula To The Dakotas

Question

We are beginning to plan a trip for late summer/early fall that would take us from western NY to the Upper Peninsula to visit Pictured Rocks NP and then westward to Duluth, Fargo, Medora (for the Teddy Roosevelt NP) and then to the Badlands/Mt Rushmore areas. Are there places you would recommend staying or stopping along the way?

Recommendations for campgrounds and places to visit would be much appreciated.

10 answers to this question

I received two replies when I mentioned a trip to Montana. Look down the list a little. Tom Butler knows a lot about US2.

Where in western NY do you live? A long time ago I lived near Westfield. I was up that way in July.

So what route are you planning on? I would expect I-90 to Toledo then maybe 23 to Flint and pick up I-75.

Just before Sault Ste. Marie go west on 28. You will have to decide where you want to turn to get too the part of the park you want to visit.

When you leave go west on 28 till you get to Wakefield where you can pick up rout 2 west to Teddy Roosevelt NP. From there you can go a couple of ways to Mt Rushmore.

How long do you have time wise? If you are this close I would go west to Billings and back to the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Or you can go south on 85.

You know you are not far from Yellowstone National Park.

Bill

Hi,

Sorry to reply so late.In North Dakota consider international peace garden by Bottineau,Paul Broste rock museum in Parshall,Garrison dam and Fish hatchery are a few that come to mind.

Take your time and enjoy sounds like a great trip. Dave

Where in western NY do you live? A long time ago I lived near Westfield. I was up that way in July.

So what route are you planning on? I would expect I-90 to Toledo then maybe 23 to Flint and pick up I-75.

Just before Sault Ste. Marie go west on 28. You will have to decide where you want to turn to get too the part of the park you want to visit.

When you leave go west on 28 till you get to Wakefield where you can pick up rout 2 west to Teddy Roosevelt NP. From there you can go a couple of ways to Mt Rushmore.

How long do you have time wise? If you are this close I would go west to Billings and back to the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Or you can go south on 85.

You know you are not far from Yellowstone National Park.

Bill

We have been thinking about the northern route to go out and I-90 coming home. We have about a month or so -- the schedule is flexible at this point. I'm trying to figure out where we might need to make reservations ahead of time. Thanks so much for the info. Much appreciated

Hi,

Sorry to reply so late.In North Dakota consider international peace garden by Bottineau,Paul Broste rock museum in Parshall,Garrison dam and Fish hatchery are a few that come to mind.

Take your time and enjoy sounds like a great trip. Dave

Thanks for ideas.

We drove the reverse of you last spring.

I90 was a breeze, stayed in Mitchell, SD

We camped at Custer State Park-Game Lodge and used this as a base from Badlands to all the Caves, and monuments.

We drove out to Devils Tower NP and Deadwood from there. We were there a week, and were busy everyday. I made the reservations a good bit ahead, it wasn't when we were there, but I understand it can be crowded and forget about it during Sturgis, they're sold out then. (try to do the wildlife loop and the park rangers were excellent there).

From Custer SD, 84n to I94 (tough crosswind) to Medora. (TRNP)

Red Tail Campground (tight)

I94 to Fargo (wallys).

I94 to Chippawa Falls Wi (Leinenkrugel Brewery-free samples!). Very nice Wallys there.

The interstates ended there for us and we started cross country. None of the roads were difficult

Take the sunset boat tour at Picture Rocks, but ALWAYS dress warm. We went out July 2. Went prepared for the night cool, but was still cold.

The Soo was a good stop.

If you're going through Duluth, I hope you stop at the Apostle Islands. We were disappointed we couldn't make it there.

We used US-2 most of the way and found it very beautiful. And since that trip we use the US highway system as often as doable. Take it slow and enjoy this beautiful country...

We too are planning a similar trip... We live in WNY, but will be spending a few days at Nordhouse Dunes (Lake Michigan @ Manistee Cmpgd) to pick up our grandkids the first week in August... then heading up to Pictured Rocks (staying at Bay Furnace Cmpgd) for a couple of days then west to Mt. Rushmore (Rafter J Bar Ranch Cmpgd) and the Badlands (Sleepy Hollow Cmpgd)... have reservations for that part of the trip then on to Estes Park to drop off the kids so they can fly home for school and we are heading up to Glacier and Yellowstone...

The only reservations we have for that part of the trip are 3 nights in Yellowstone Labor Day Weekend... very curious to hear what you have decided on...

Also looking for advice about Glacier & Yellowstone.

Hope to fit in Teddy Roosevelt NP and International Peace Garden, too.

We drove the reverse of you last spring.

I90 was a breeze, stayed in Mitchell, SD

We camped at Custer State Park-Game Lodge and used this as a base from Badlands to all the Caves, and monuments.

We drove out to Devils Tower NP and Deadwood from there. We were there a week, and were busy everyday. I made the reservations a good bit ahead, it wasn't when we were there, but I understand it can be crowded and forget about it during Sturgis, they're sold out then. (try to do the wildlife loop and the park rangers were excellent there).

From Custer SD, 84n to I94 (tough crosswind) to Medora. (TRNP)

Red Tail Campground (tight)

I94 to Fargo (wallys).

I94 to Chippawa Falls Wi (Leinenkrugel Brewery-free samples!). Very nice Wallys there.

The interstates ended there for us and we started cross country. None of the roads were difficult

Take the sunset boat tour at Picture Rocks, but ALWAYS dress warm. We went out July 2. Went prepared for the night cool, but was still cold.

The Soo was a good stop.

If you're going through Duluth, I hope you stop at the Apostle Islands. We were disappointed we couldn't make it there.

Thanks very much for the ideas. These are great.

We too are planning a similar trip... We live in WNY, but will be spending a few days at Nordhouse Dunes (Lake Michigan @ Manistee Cmpgd) to pick up our grandkids the first week in August... then heading up to Pictured Rocks (staying at Bay Furnace Cmpgd) for a couple of days then west to Mt. Rushmore (Rafter J Bar Ranch Cmpgd) and the Badlands (Sleepy Hollow Cmpgd)... have reservations for that part of the trip then on to Estes Park to drop off the kids so they can fly home for school and we are heading up to Glacier and Yellowstone...

The only reservations we have for that part of the trip are 3 nights in Yellowstone Labor Day Weekend... very curious to hear what you have decided on...

Also looking for advice about Glacier & Yellowstone.

Hope to fit in Teddy Roosevelt NP and International Peace Garden, too.

Sounds pretty great. I will check out the Bay Furnace CG and Sleepy Hollow. The only reservations so far are for the Labor Day weekend. Thought we should be sure about those days. Thanks for the help!