rubysdad

Ride Stabilization

I recently purchased my first Class A motorhome. My wife is sensitive to cross winds and movement within the coach. The most recent Motorhome magazine has an article about Maxim SumoSprings. This claims to help out with sway issues. Has anyone purchased this product and does it help?

rubysdad,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please tell us what chassis and coach you have.

How many miles on it?

Answers directed to a 2015 Ford chassis would be irrelevant if you have a DP or Workhorse P chassis.

We had a 35' WB Vista on the F53 chassis, while the ride and power were OK , I found the chassis lacking in stability in winds, passing trucks etc. what we ended up doing was invest in a rear trac bar and a tru control steering stabilizer by Blue Ox. I also did what some call the cheap handling fix which is the moving of mounting bolts on the sway bars. You might find this in this forum under chassis but if you venture over to Irv2 ford chassis section there is a pretty good discussion on this.

After doing these upgrades, our Vista handled as well as a MH in that class and weight could.

Many that invested in the Sumo system are happy with it.

Here is a link to an article that is still very relevant.

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2004/11/improving-motorhome-ride-steering-and.html

I think there are three issues: safety, stability, and ride ability. Whenever you make a change it affects other issues.

Taking your MH to a recognized suspension shop is probably a good idea to help sort this out.

The Sumo, Firestone airbags, and Kelderman's softer spring+air bag for the front should all be considered in addition to:

weight distribution, tire inflation, testing the shock springs, replacing the shocks with Bilsteins or Konis, the cheap handling fix, sway bars, checking the alignment, a true track bar, a steering dampner, rear air bags, and rear stabilizer bar.

However, I don't think you will find it easy to sort it all out in any forum unless you are lucky and just happen to hit the right combo of things that achieve your goal if you are doing this on your own.This is such a gray and moving target that it is hard to put a finger on how to achieve the best end results are and just how good the end results are. Sort of a function of how you use your unit, what unit you have (as mentioned) and your own personal expectations and needs.

Hopefully this discussion won't receive diesel unit input because it won't be relevant to assisting you with the solutions you are looking for.

My wife gets car sick and that is never eliminated from our trips.

It appears to me that the Class A gas industry leaves it up to the consumer, for the most part, to sort it out for themselves.

rubysdad. Welcome to the Forum.

Most owners of DP's that have been around a while, started with gas units and we still remember them! Having said that, I agree with campcop and also recommend that you check with your dealer, manufacturer and chassis builder.

Safe-T-Steer has been around since the late 70's that I know about, and I have used them on gas coaches from 24 to 32 foot, also on a 40' DP!

Carl

With the late model Ford F53 chassis, IN ORDER-- go until you are happy:

Correct tire pressure based on actual weight plus 5PSI or so safety reserve. Over or under inflation can result in squirrely handling.

Cheap handling fix of moving sway bar end link attachment points.

Rear track bar: allows for full vertical motion of coach vs axle, but limits side to side movement.

Better shocks.

Verify front end caster is near max spec for better tracking.

With the late model Ford F53 chassis, IN ORDER-- go until you are happy:

Correct tire pressure based on actual weight plus 5PSI or so safety reserve. Over or under inflation can result in squirrely handling.

Cheap handling fix of moving sway bar end link attachment points.

Rear track bar: allows for full vertical motion of coach vs axle, but limits side to side movement.

Better shocks.

Verify front end caster is near max spec for better tracking.

If all the above fail, get a DP with a tag...guaranteed to fix everything. :D

FIVE, Totally agree....but we all got to start somewhere and a lot off folks are afraid of the larger DP coach!

Carl

"A lot of folks are afraid of the larger DP coach!"

Fear is probably the strongest emotional driver and it will often lead you to making poorer decisions.

My wife will be spending 3 hours in Kentucky at the RVSEF conference in May learning how to drive a Class A safely.

I tell the D/W, who has yet to drive, to watch the toad in the rear camera, that's the best indicator of whether or not you are in the center of the road.

We put Koni shocks, front and rear track bars,

And a Blue Ox True Center on our F53 chassis.

It straightened right out.

Nice upgrades! The F53 is a good RV chassis.

FIVE. Watching toad is good...no fun, when you don't see it! Even less when it's passing you... :o:lol:

Carl

I did the CHF and rear track bar and still had problems, so I did all the homework on the SUMO's and decided to install the maxims front and rear not only did it straighten out the wind problem the ride is now amazingly much better. I wish I had installed these first.

When we had the F53 chassis MH, I called Ford once about the suspension and handling....was told Ford builds a truck chassis and they cant help it if someone builds a house on it.... :(

I have a 2003 Southwind 36 on a Workhorse chassis. I am trying to decide on Sumo Springs or rear track bar. I already have a steering stabilizer (the one with the centering springs) I bought and had installed at Perry GA a few years ago. I have Bilstein shocks around.

I want a stable ride in wind and truck traffic as well as the smoothest ride I can get. I am tired of driving up I71 and feeling like I am leaving RV pieces on the road from all of the bumps.

bruceschindler,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Both can be worthwhile additions to your chassis, but for you issues, I would start with a rear track bar.

If you will be in Perry next week for the FMCA Convention, come to the Suspension Seminar:

Saturday, March 19 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., Seminar 5

bruceschindler.

Your going to feel the bumps on I-71 no matter what you got. There are stretches of Interstate's that I hate! I know that I left parts of my coach coming off of Henderson, LA. on I-10 West bound or I-5 in CA. it is what it is! Even in my 45'. <_<

Since we don't have RV Hovercraft or magnetic highways, we live with it as best we can! So, as Brett said, we can improve the ride, don't expect a miracle ! :P

Carl

FIVE.

The one they used for the 2010 Catalog, 45Y. Chassis December 09', built January 10' !

Carl

Thanks...nice set up.