bikeryder

Black Particles in Ice Cubes ~ 2003 Monaco Cayman 36PBD

Hello,

I am sort of still a newbie. I purchased my 2003 Monaco Cayman in March of 2015, so just under a year at the time of this post. I have already replaced my rear trailing arms with those from Source Engineering, so no worries there. My Monaco may be 12 years old but I really enjoy it, and the fact that it only has 17,000 miles, makes it feel as though it were but a few years from new.

Here is my problem. I am extremely frustrated due to black particles found within the ice cubes made from my ice maker, Norcold refrigerator/freezer model N843IM. It appears that the black particles could be charcoal breaking away from an old aging charcoal filter on the water inlet line. My frustration is locating this filter so it can be swapped out for a new one. The only water filter I have been able to locate is the one found under the kitchen sink. But as far as I can tell, this filter only serves the drinking water faucet located on the kitchen sink. I do not see any branches downstream of this filter that could run under the floor and over behind my Norcold refrigerator.

Would Monaco have installed a charcoal type filter behind the refrigerator unit itself?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Eddie

post-45081-0-92142900-1455898579_thumb.j

I would go look and see if there is a filter behind the refrigerator. My water supply line splits off after the filter under the sink. Have you changed the filter under the sink? Use a mirror and flashlight to look up under the back of the sink it might split further up.

Bill

The filter under the sink should be replaced every year with that said I'm going to tell you what happen to my coach. I was dealing with low water pressure at a campground and removed the pressure regulator. I used a charcoal filter on the incoming line to the coach at the campground water hookup. Unknown to me the campground fixed the water pressure problem. I began seeing black dust when I flushed the toilet. Then the dust got bigger into chunks to the point it ruin the toilet flush valve. The moral of this story is always use the pressure regulator at a campground hookup.

New charcoal filters needs to be flushed before hooked to the coach.

It will most likely be the filter under the kitchen sink. If you have already replaced the filter, you will need to purge the water line to

the ice maker. To do so you will need to remove the small line that is attached to the ice maker with water off. Then use a clear glass jar

or drinking glass to let water run into after turning the water back on. Let the glass fill and check for those impurities and discard, do this

several times until the water is clear. If the black specs still remain in the ice, dump the ice a couple more times and recheck.

It will most likely be the filter under the kitchen sink. If you have already replaced the filter, you will need to purge the water line to

the ice maker. To do so you will need to remove the small line that is attached to the ice maker with water off. Then use a clear glass jar

or drinking glass to let water run into after turning the water back on. Let the glass fill and check for those impurities and discard, do this

several times until the water is clear. If the black specs still remain in the ice, dump the ice a couple more times and recheck.

My thoughts exactly. My filter under the sink routes back over to the refrigerator for the ice maker on my HR/Monaco. It seems odd to me especially since my kitchen is on the slide but non the less that is how it is plumbed.

Very likely the Teflon coating on your ice molds is flaking off.

If that is the case, the only "cure" is to replace it. Many RV refrigerators use exactly the same ice maker parts as domestic refrigerators, so many are inexpensively available.

My thoughts exactly. My filter under the sink routes back over to the refrigerator for the ice maker on my HR/Monaco. It seems odd to me especially since my kitchen is on the slide but non the less that is how it is plumbed.

I too am somewhat puzzled as my kitchen sink, like yours, is located in the slide also. If in the end it turns out that the water line feeding my Norcold ice maker is coming from the charcoal filter located under my kitchen sink, I will be a bit concerned about the water line one day becoming pinched or worse.

Very likely the Teflon coating on your ice molds is flaking off.

If that is the case, the only "cure" is to replace it. Many RV refrigerators use exactly the same ice maker parts as domestic refrigerators, so many are inexpensively available.

Thank you Brett, I would have never considered my ice maker itself actually decaying right before my eyes. First I'll check to locate and replace my charcoal filter, removing the water line from the rear of my Norcold refrigerator and flush the line a few times as suggested by kaypsmith. If that doesn't solve this irritating problem, then its onto replacing the ice maker itself.

Thanks to all who have responded, I truly appreciate all of your feedback. :)

I also had this problem after purchasing our Eagle.

It had sat for years and I am sure the previous owner neglected to properly care for the ice maker. If in fact you do end up finding the ice maker is the culprit be sure to remove all the left over water when not in use.the ice tray had some disgusting looking flaky crusty stuff inside the tray.

Good luck on your find.

My ice maker is also supplied by the filter under the sink. There is a shut off valve under the sink for turning off the ice maker water. The sink is also located in a slide. Just hope none of the lines ever develop a problem!

Lenp

Eddie,

I have had the exact same problem. As Brett said it is the ice makers teflon coating flaking off. I removed mine took it to our local appliance repair/parts store and they gave me the exact match.

If I remember correctly there are only 2 screws maybe 3 holding the unit in. Turn off the water. Remove the screws pull the unit out and disconnect the elecrtical plug. then just reverse the process installing the new ice maker. There is no water conncetion to disconnect.

Good Luck,

Herman

I too am somewhat puzzled as my kitchen sink, like yours, is located in the slide also. If in the end it turns out that the water line feeding my Norcold ice maker is coming from the charcoal filter located under my kitchen sink, I will be a bit concerned about the water line one day becoming pinched or worse.

I figured it out when we switched the refrigerator from No Cold to Residential. The new unit does not have an ice maker, so I had to locate where the tube originated and cap it. My DW prefers ice cube trays with bottled water. I was suprised it came from the opposite side of the coach and was ran under the floor. I felt much better disconnecting that.

My filter under the sink feeds the sink, insta hot faucet and the ice maker. Ice maker disconnected now.

Does anyone have experience with portable ice makers ? We have never hooked up our fridge ice makers at home because we have well water (no chlorine) and use very little ice. Would be suspicious of the ice because of that. DW drinks wine (as needed) from a box in the fridge (we will drink no wine before it's time) and I am the beer guy. Our Dometic ice maker is unusable because I did not properly winterize it. The freezer is vertical and ice trays are just not available because of the dimensions. The d___ box of wine doesn't fit either? She likes her wine cold. My bad!!

I used to carry an Emerson brand from a target store, used bottled water in it. The unit is still working after 7 years and still works well.

Obedb, we have one that I dropped something on the lid and cracked it,send me a pm if you want it, you can stop by and pick it up, or stop buy when we are camping next month in Gettysburg, I will bring it with me. I am sure you can buy parts to fix it, I think it's a magic chef but I will have to check it out if you are interested. We just use trays now in the freezer.

Correct size ice trays are available at Camping World - or buy a small bag of ice at a grocery store and break it up and keep it in the freezer - how much ice does one need ??

zorro, if you have a DW ask her that question! Also, this has to do with an ice maker! I'll let you go find an ice bag when your 100 miles from nowhere in 110 degrees!

Manholt - I do have a DW and we get by fine with making small quantities of ice in small trays as I mentioned above. We also avoid areas where the temp is above 100 degrees ---

zorro, you got a good DW! When mine was alive, she could do 10 pounds in one Happy Hour, then throw 4 or 5 other "friends".... :o:rolleyes: Back then, I drank Scotch and water, no ice! :lol: Now I have wine or beer.

Carl