charliea51

What To Do

Winnebago 2016 Sunstar HE What to do? I bought a new Itasca in 2005 I special ordered it, Me and the wife put over 80,000 miles on it. Well we decided we are really motorhomers and decided to up grade. Having looked at all the different coaches out there over the last 3 years we fell in love with the Sunstar 26 HE. This was for size not cost. Well I did my homework ( i thought ) I read the specs on the 2015 Sunstar and the 2016 Sunstar. I chose the 2016 model over a 2015 model because the 2016 comes with a six speed transmission, and the 2015 has a five speed, same as the 2005 I had sold. While I was researching the final drive ratio with a Ford dealer they informed me I had a 5 speed in my 2016 coach. When I spoke with Winnebago it was a joke. I was told that it is industry policy to allow chassis that were purchased up two years ago to be sold as new chassis for the same year of the coach, it is installed on. That I have no problem with, I have a problem buying a 2016 coach that was presented on print and electronic brochures as a six speed with no disclaimer to verify what you are buying. I was asked by Winnebago customer support, why didn't you ask, I replied why would I? Your brochure says it is. Well Winnebago left me out to dry, on what I call bait and switch advertising. La Mesa RV will out of their generosity will allow me a trade in value of $9000.00 less than I paid, pretty good deal seeing I only drove it home . So rather than give $9000 up due to false advertising, I will give it up to a Lawyer. I have been bringing it in to a Ford dealer complaining it won’t shift into sixth gear as the brochure states. It must be a LEMON and FL has a Lemon law. I like Itasca and will get another one, but I want what is as advertised, not their obsolete over stock. What really gets me is their customer service person said yep they should put a disclaimer in as I have heard this many times. They know BUYER BEWARE. I am disabled, retired, and on a disability pension. This is the next most expensive purchase I have made other than a house. It is a shame there is no stand up for your mistakes in this sale

Two separate issues: The actual mechanical difference. The representation/ mis-representation (a pretty gray area, as it IS common in the industry to build "this year's model coach" on a chassis manufactured last year).

Personally I would address the mechanical difference issue FIRST.

Look at gear ratios/final drive ratios for the two models.

The V10 is a high-RPM engine, VERY different from a diesel with limited RPM range. Said another way, you do not NEED as many gears for an engine with a wider RPM range.

So, verify that there is an EFFECTIVE difference to you before investing the "emotional effort" to pursue options.

Winnebagos continuing program of product improvement makes specifications, equipment, model availability, and prices subject to change without notice. Published content reflects the most current product information at time of printing. Please consult your dealer for individual vehicle features and specifications.

You might have a tough time with your case because Winnegao has this disclaimer in all their brochures. This one is from the 2016 Sunstar brochure . The last line is going to be the hardest to get by.

I am sorry for your troubles as these purchases, once made, are not financially easy to reverse or resolved when we find we've been decieved.

I appreciate the sharing of information like this as it helps us as consumers to be aware of false or tricky advertising by otherwise trusted manufacturers. This makes me take notice of Winnebago products including their subsidiaries which recently includes the acquisition of Country Coach. Too bad, I would consider buying a Country Coach but this blog informs me that I will need to reconsider a future purchase where Winnebago is involved.

Frustrating, But, I would stay out of court. Even should you win, which I doubt, you will loss in time, aggravation and $$$$ for atty fees! In the future read all disclaimers and now, enjoy what you bought!

Carl

I think Brett has the right idea.....no sense in spending a lot of money (which you will) to attempt to get something that is not really an improvement. I realize this is a "principal of the thing" issue, but it may not be worth the cost. However, I would continue to give WB the bad publicity they deserve by posting your problem on various forums.

I have read that the 6 speed trans means the v-10 is only going to be putting out 320 hp. I guess overall performance would be what I would be interested in and of course getting what I paid for wouldn't hurt. My wife and I are in our search mode for our first and hopefully only RV for our golden years. My brain is almost on overload but I manage, I think. As I read more post and replies like these I am leaning towards a late model DP. I have 40 years of OTR driving in excess of 4 million miles. Blending my experience with the knowledge on FMCA is proving to be interesting.

Before I get the attorney involved I would check out the engine specs to see if the HP was lowered and what would be overall performance specs. Good luck and sorry to drift away from subject a little.

I would think it might be easier to get someone to swap the tranny for the new model--seems to me the '15 5 speed only driven home is practically a new trans. I'd ask what kind of deal could be made for the swap. Wholesale cost to wholesale can't be too much and maybe in house labor fees?

I have the 5 speed but my coach has the complete Banks power system--can't imagine what it would be like for me with going to the Teton's each summer season without the Banks. That baby kicks in on the mountain climbs and I have no problem keeping it above 50.

Date of coach is also important for tires. My 2012 is on a 2011 chassis and the tires are APR 2011, so I am ordering new tires to replace now. I am the 2nd owner and I know it was well taken care of, but I am going on the better safe than sorry. New tires are much less costly that what a blowout could do.

I don't think a change in the transmission would work, the engine with the new transmission had been detuned..a change in the computer would also be required......if that would work...

We had a 2012 F53 with the 5 speed and put in a 5 star tune, worked well

Does anyone know if Ford actually uses all 6 speeds, on the 5 speed they did not use all speeds.

Looks like a 6 speed listed with an F53 is an error in the Winnebago literature. The six speed is only available with the Fseries truck with the 6.7l power stroke diesel.

Here are the 2016 specs for an F53

Choice of wheelbases from 158 inches to 252 inches

Instrument cluster with added information

High-capacity 175-amp alternator

80-gallon fuel tank

Suspension designed to optimize ride and enhance weight distribution characteristics

Front and rear four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes

Integrated rear suspension system for excellent ride and handling

22,000-, 24,000- and 26,000-lb. GVWR chassis equipped with polished aluminum wheels

TorqShift® five-speed automatic overdrive transmission

Available with CNG/LPG Gaseous Engine Prep Packages

- See more at: http://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/motorhome/#sthash.3jSLcErp.dpuf

Charlie, Brett is steering you in the right direction... your most valuable commodity is your time... be positive the coach is inadequate for your needs before you advance this situation.... you could end up wasting loads of money and time.... these things are supposed to empower us to enjoy our life more... don't let the dipsticks at Winnebago have enough power to stop the really important things in your life.

Looks like a 6 speed listed with an F53 is an error in the Winnebago literature. The six speed is only available with the Fseries truck with the 6.7l power stroke diesel.

Here are the 2016 specs for an F53

Choice of wheelbases from 158 inches to 252 inches

Instrument cluster with added information

High-capacity 175-amp alternator

80-gallon fuel tank

Suspension designed to optimize ride and enhance weight distribution characteristics

Front and rear four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes

Integrated rear suspension system for excellent ride and handling

22,000-, 24,000- and 26,000-lb. GVWR chassis equipped with polished aluminum wheels

TorqShift® five-speed automatic overdrive transmission

Available with CNG/LPG Gaseous Engine Prep Packages

- See more at: http://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/motorhome/#sthash.3jSLcErp.dpuf

Tiffin has been selling 2016 MHs with the Ford chassis and 6 speed for some time..

Tiffin has been selling 2016 MHs with the Ford chassis and 6 speed for some time..

Campcop, you are correct. Fords publications on their website have not been updated since 2014 :blink: . Funny, I logged on and cruised through their shop manuals and according to their "Parts and Service Division" a 5 speed was never an option, lol. It goes from a 4 speed to a 6 speed, no mention of a 5 speed ever existing. I did locate a 2016 F53 brochure and it does list the "Torqshift6" as standard, no manual for a 2015 and the 2014 is a 5speed despite what their shop manuals state.

here's the link 2014, although it doesn't say its not current or a 2014

http://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/motorhome/

2016 link

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/strippedchassis/trim/f53classamotorhome/

Not one to bet but my guess is his chassis is a 2015 on a 2016 coach, very common...if not the "Norm". And the 6 speed you will most likely not see until next years body build.

So, if the OP want's to spend a LOT of money, to pursue his legal option, he would have to go after Ford, not the coach manufacturer! Even though I'm sure the manufacturer knows all about this, but that you can't prove!

Carl