jcbett

Electric Valve On Propane Tank Wired Where?

I am still learning this coach. While in the barn over about two weeks, the brand new chassis batteries went dead. Got out the external battery charger, had to take out batteries and recharge each one. Went to put them back in and when I touched the positive I heard a solenoid click. I did this several times and confirmed the solenoid was left on.

A lot of other things were going on, blown fuse on the chassis charger that did not charge while plugged in, solar charger wires off, I did not known the propane switch was on, only indicator light is on the switch under the coach.

My question is where should this switch be set up (chassis or house). I have searched through both house and chassis schematics and neither show the switch or valve. I think the house so that if I turned off the 12v system the valve would close. Heater goes off because the thermostat is 12v, I would not want stove on, would have to relight hot water heater. But would not be running down my starting battery.

Will need to get under there and trace the wires from the relay.

Jim,

You should be able to get information from Monaco.

But, because the absorption refrigerator also runs on propane, it is fairly common for the propane solenoid to be wired directly from the house battery (through appropriate fuse and switch). I would start by looking for an on/off switch in the galley area or on your "control panel".

The switch is under the coach right at the tank valve, there is a light but you have to open the fill hatch to see it. I wish there was a switch inside.

I did not think about the refrigerator. But should it be running on the chassis battery or the house?

Jim,

Your Norcold or Dometic refrigerator will run off the inverter. However the Ice maker, if you have one, runs off the shore power. This prevents the unit from filling with water as you drive and splashing out from movement and freezing into one big clump.

And we all know how hard those clumps are to fit into a Bloody Mary. :o

Herman

Some clarification: An absorption refrigerator can run off either heat source: propane or 120 VAC.

But, if not plugged in (i.e. when the batteries are not being charged) it should be running on propane. That uses SUBSTANTIALLY less battery power.

I have a 2006 Monaco Cayman with a couple of ongoing problems.  

1.  My valve at the propane tank is not letting gas flow.  I can hear the solenoid but don't know if the valve is opening.  Does the valve open by pulling the plunger out or by pushing in?  I found a replacement valve but how can I drain 3/4 tank of gas safely?  Contacted several local Propane dealers the dealer I bought the coach from.  They don't have a solution other than drain through relief valve at fill sight.

2,  I had a battery ground to chassis and now have an ERROR 1 notice on my mileage indicator.  I have found on other forums solution to hold reset button(s) and cycle key 7 times. I only have one button.  Is there a reset on the back if I remove instrument cluster?   Got any other solution?

Worob40, Welcome to the forum !

#1 Propane issue. If the solenoid is bad. There is a manual shutoff valve between the solenoid and the tank output. It can be a little hard to see. This valve is installed so the tank doesn't need to be emptied to service the plumbing between the tank the the supply plumbing for the LP system. Replacing the level sensor is a totally different story.

The valve motion is a pull to open. This is standard so if no power is supplied to the system, the valve always closes for safety reasons. 

Servicing LP system should be done by a qualified service tech.  

#2 is your Instrument Cluster made by ACTIA. An error 1 code often indicates a logic failure. You need to have it tested at a shop that services the Chassis your coach is built on because the cluster is shipped with the chassis.

Rich.