manholt

Slideout Topper Awnings

Would some one please explain to me, why we have Slide topper awnings? Before I decided to keep the coach I have, I looked at all the high end coaches (one million or more). Liberty, Monarch and Newell, non of them have toppers! Almost every time I'm in a Park for a week or two, I have to take a broom and then spray under my topper to remove dirt, leaves and bugs.

Carl

Carl, cant answer to the higher end units. I installed one on a friends TT two years ago, it has helped them a bunch with keeping the top of their slide clean. I haven't yet had the problem you are referring to with either of mine. Is there sufficient overlap to protect the slide?

I can't respond to that on Forum! LOL :lol:<_< 3 weeks to Perry!

I see the pros and cons to the topper. One big con is that you forget to clean under it...out of sight, out of mind! :( Also in a storm situation it can tear just like any awning! It will keep a lot of debris out, but if it was not there, I would probably spray it more often and wax the slide top!

Carl

My toppers do a pretty good job of keeping the tops of my slides clean. I think the little extra shade does help when in the sun.

Carl you who'd have hated it this last May in Main the pine trees were dropping pollen like a snow storm and sap like rain. Had to wash the car every other day and washed the coach just before we pulled out.

Bill

I consider the toppers a plus. The do seem to keep the slide cooler. When the sun shines on the side of our coach with slides (we have only two on the drivers side), the coach is cooler. I seldom have to worry about debris under ours. I've replaced the canvas for both once and had the spring replaced in one several years ago. I have noticed that the high end coaches do eliminate almost all awnings, windows, slides, etc. The awnings do increase air resistance, noise and reduce fuel mileage. A coach without awnings has a much cleaner look than one with awnings. Still, I use my awnings constantly and consider them valuable for making the interior of the coach cooler. They help reduce the load on the air conditioners. If you park in the shade all the time, you wouldn't need awnings to help keep cool. I don't like to park under trees because of the mess and the possible interference with TV reception. Given a choice, I'll choose an open campsite as opposed to being under trees.

Tom,

High end coaches, still have the window awnings (built in, like the old Signature model), you only see them when they are out! Same with roof mount.

I will agree with coolness in sun. Another pro/con thing!

Carl

I had two of the toppers replaced at Coos Bay, OR last summer because they starting to rip. The other two was replaced when I brought the coach. ShadePro that did the work did a great job and have the new toppers nice and tight and tighten the other two. I also got a drop screen from them for the 17' awning at a great price.

They are at many of FMCA rally's and I recommend them as was the best money spent for professional work. Other companies seem to try to run away with your wallet.

Tom,

High end coaches, still have the window awnings (built in, like the old Signature model), you only see them when they are out! Same with roof mount.

I will agree with coolness in sun. Another pro/con thing!

Carl

There is a new type of slide that requires no topper and not only wipes clean but shuts flush without the tell tail flange on the edges. I saw one up close on a high end Newell coach and it looked great. This one also had electric front door with two heavy duty arms that moves the door to the back of the coach. I hate to think how much that coach cost.

All coaches have their problems and Newell is no exception. I see the owner on the roof one day and I question about is his satellite giving him problems. He said no. Well we have a good cable system in the resort. No again. So what was the problem. The Winegard digital HDTV motorized sensar antenna power up down sticks. Winegard told him they discontinue the model and no parts to consumers. Newell left him hanging also. Guess money can't buy everything.

Ray.

Did you lend him some WD-40? :) When you have too many electronics! <_< Money can't buy common sense! :P

Carl

Carl I told him and he supposedly did that.

Some of them have Airseals that inflate and seal out water....unlike wiper seals that can let water in easier...especially if they get tucked in.

Jeff

I believe your right and the slide has a lot to do with HWH.

We aren't $1,800,000 therefore we leak! :P We also, have common sense, we carry WD-40 and duck tape! :lol:

Carl

We aren't $1,800,000 therefore we leak! :P We also, have common sense, we carry WD-40 and duck tape! :lol:

Carl

Nice to have a good laugh before having to turn in for the night. :lol:

Carl, my conversion doesn't have slide toppers either, don't have to worry about debris accumulating on top of them. Of

course there are no slides, LOL.

I just ordered new pull straps for my slide toppers. We have had this coach for two years and I have never pulled the toppers down the sides to be used as window awnings. I called Carefree to determine which model we have and they are the original Omega. I ordered new pull straps (total of 6) for both slide toppers so I can use them as window awnings. I had to lube up the locks since it looks like the previous owner didn't use them either and all of the straps were deteriorated pretty bad.

Any pros/cons advice to using these as window awnings besides keeping the side wall cooler in summer?

On 2/29/2016 at 8:54 PM, Manholt said:

Carl

X2 on all the previous puns.

Also Carl, I live close by. Would you like to borrow my knife and get rid of the toppers?:rolleyes: