JWilliams

Hello

Hi,

I was watching extreme rvs and they were showing this small houses usually sleeping 1 or 2 on a trailer frame, What is the difference between these and just buying a regular RV?
From what I can gather these tiny houses are pretty expensive, are they any better than a traditional tow behind RV?

Welcome to the forum. Those tiny houses are great if you want to pay a premium price to live in a broom closet. Just me but I can't get excited about them.

Bill

I'd be surprised if they travel as well as trailers designed for being on the road all the time. They may be designed to be moved infrequently with long stays on site in each location. It might work for work campers. It might also be a good choice for people who are currently living out of their cars! We've parked at Walmart's that have people who are sleeping in their cars, washing up in the restrooms and getting food at the fast food restaurant on site. It is a sad sight to see.

Seriously, we have many people who are living in marginal conditions that could possibly have a mini home. It would be better than sleeping on a park bench or sleeping in your car. I have no idea how expensive they are. I'm sure that fancy designers are willing to provide all kinds of interesting design features for $$ but a simple one could be constructed for little money I would think.

Jwilliams,

I believe what you saw was a unit called a "Park Model". They are designed for extended stay or as cabins in RV Parks. I believe the bath fixtures are standard house hold fixtures with no holding tanks. I may be in error.

Herman

I looked at that episode again and did some research. They are small and heavy as they are made like a stick house. All 2X4 and 2X6 framing and 1in sheeting. This might not be bad if you stay in one place. Just a fancy park model and they don't look to be well insulated. Did I mention small. :P

Hear is a 170sq foot Mica 20' for sale discounted to $60,000.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/tumbleweed-mica-20-clear-for-sale

Now for comparison look at this trailer it is a 2015 but looks new. T185 - 35' 2015 Outback Super Lite w/3 Slides for $31,000.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/travelt/2015-Outback-Super-Lite-31843.htm

Now remember PPL is a consignment lot and you can negotiate a lower price.

Just so you know hear is a nice diesel pusher for a cheaper price than that 20' 170sq foot tow behind.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/2003-Dutchstar-By-Newmar-31406.htm

Now to answer your question "Are they any better than a traditional tow behind RV?" NO but that is my opinion.

Bill

Tiny houses, are what the name implies. Think of it as a very small and short Mobile home! They really have nothing in common with a trailer, other than an axle or two!

Ditto for me Bill.

Carl