Sign in to follow this  
wildebill308

Cummins V8 ISV5.0 In A Motorhome.

I did come across this as the first use of the new Cummins V8 ISV5.0 in a motorhome.

Tiffin is using it in the Allegro Breeze 32BR actually 33.6’. The specs look like this:

PowerGlide® Rear Engine Diesel Chassis with Cummins ISV5.0 275 Engine, Peak HP: 275 HP @ 3,200 RPM, Peak Torque (lb – Ft. Max Net): 560 @ 1,600 RPM.

I am interested in hearing how this platform performs. The fun part is when the Cummins factory people were showing this off at Perry GA. Last time the stated goal was to be a competitor for the Ford V10.

When I asked about the future plans to perhaps scale it up some there was some winking and they said not at this time but it might happen later.

Bill

Wonder why it's so small...smaller than the Cummins in a Ram P/U which uses the 6.7L that's in some smaller MHs. I had an '07 Duramax 6.6L V8 in a Chevy, it had 360 HP and 650 ft/lbs of torque.

At the Cummins Come-Home rally in Columbus last fall, we took a tour through the new assembly line for the new small V8. We were told at that time that the engine would be exclusive to the Nissan Titan. Maybe that has changed.

Diesel engines are the most trouble free when built as an inline six cylinder design with the resulting 7 main bearings. Cummins, Cat, Detroit and Mack tried V configurations. They are all gone.

The Duramax is General Motors attempt at resurrecting that technology. I read that their time between overhauls is to expected more frequent than the others. The rest gave up. The legendary Cummins pick up truck engine, an inline 6 cylinder, is a winner. They have been known to run hundreds of thousands of miles. Every major component on the truck being rebuilt or replaced while the engine keeps going. I would pass on their newest V8 IMHO. The Detroit inline 6 cylinder 671 engine is still being used around the world. You especially see them In marine applications and I guess they don't build them anymore (don't know for sure) but parts are available.

Five.

I still have a 07' Chevy 2500 with the Duramax and Allison....117,356 miles and no problem. Mine is 4x4 and I have pulled low boy trailers with Cat track dozers and track hoes, horse trailers and pulled stumps with it...best truck/engine combo!

Have not made a comparison, but the 33' Palazzo has a 300 Cummins and 600 pounds of T. I would not buy a Breeze or Palazzo, just saying!

Carl

Five.

I still have a 07' Chevy 2500 with the Duramax and Allison....117,356 miles and no problem. Mine is 4x4 and I have pulled low boy trailers with Cat track dozers and track hoes, horse trailers and pulled stumps with it...best truck/engine combo!

Have not made a comparison, but the 33' Palazzo has a 300 Cummins and 600 pounds of T. I would not buy a Breeze or Palazzo, just saying!

Carl

My '07 Chevy was a dually crew cab with the D/A...pulled a big 5th wheel. Agree that some of the smaller MHs don't have enough engine when using the small Cummins.