MLnDavo

Mountains With A Georgetown XL/ Ford V10

Sounds like there will be no way to decide without some seat time unless you simply want to easily cover your bet and go with the dp and can afford the extra costs and potential down-time.

Unfortunately, unless you are a full-timer and want the longer models, it seems to me that MOST choices in used dp are 40 and greater in length. Tiffin Breeze, Newmar Ventana, Country Coach, and Tiffin Red have some shorter models out there, but be prepared to pay a premium for well-kept models (with provable documentation) with key options like Aqua-Hot and Comfort Drive, even as much as $30,000 over high NADA...based on my research these last couple of years.

My recommendation would probably not be welcomed by some or even many, but buy based on technology, and if used be sure to check out the chassis/engine, weight capacity vs actual weights, electrical system documentation, and water leakage issues.

Best of luck. I'm torn between two classes that are both equally desirable to me.

I had a V-10 and crossed the country several times with it. Never had any issues with mountains or hills. I think when most people talk about them not having power they are thinking about chassis built 10 years ago. The new V-10 's don't really need 5 star tuning or Banks to do a good job and unless you are 27 years old, you probably won't wear one out in your life time.

Had a Triton V10. No complaints. Yes, it made some noise and turned high RPMs, but I have no complaints about it. We ran all over the west with it, mountains and all, usually pulling a 1500 HD Silverado 4x4, and it done the job. You're going to have to spend a lot of money to beat it.

Al

I have a 2016 V-10 5 speed. I have added a 5 star tune ($400) and a Banks ram air intake ($400) and insulated my dog house with Dyna Mat extreme mat ($80) Yes my engine has hit 5000 RPM when pulling a hill and yes before the above mentioned upgrades it was loud. It was also due to the Ford transmission set up and my inexperience at the coach and driving it.

I rarely every go over 4200 RPM even in cruise and most of the time it is at 2200 RPM @ 65 MPH and very quiet and easy conversation in the front end. I am not a full timer and will probably average 10,000 miles a year on my coach for the next 3-4 years. I am very happy with my coach and have no worries about pulling hills with my tow vehicle (2013 Hyundai Elantra). The tow/haul engine breaking does a very good job of downhill grade speed control as well, no its not a jake brake but it does well for a coach in this class weight range.

Just for reference the newer 2016 F-53 are coming with the new v-10 6 speed (The 6.8L 3-valve V10 with 6-speed TorqShift® automatic is standard on the F-53 Motorhome Stripped Chassis and F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis. The dependable 6.8L features a free-breathing 3-valve-per-cylinder induction system and generates an impressive 320 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft. of torque.) ​ I believe the torque range for that 460 lb-ft is at 4350 RPM now if I remember my number right. The new 6 speed is a good improvement in both noise, power band @ RPM, and overall performance of the V-10.

Unless you need an over 40 foot coach and tons of tow weight or tons of storage weight and full time, the new gas V-10 is a very good and economic option. The Newmar and the Allegro also offer a 24k and 26k chassis. Mine is 22K and I can pretty much take everything for a month extended trip plus pull up to 4K tow weight just fine.