oneway

Need A New Roof & I'm Traveling

I took a tree branch to the roof (TPO) a few days ago in Savannah GA. I duct tapped up the holes (6 of them!)
and we drove up to Roanoke VA where I can store the unit until we get back from a side trip for a few weeks.

After that I head back to CA.

Any suggestion where to get the roof replaced? I'm on 1 side of the country and I live on the other side so chances are I will pass by any recommended places.

Thanks

Duct tape may allow water into the opening especially after a week or two. If your roof is fiberglass as most class A 's are I would suggest stopping a a auto parts store and buy a fiberglass repair kit and mat. You can do it yourself and you will have a durable and waterproof repair until you get home. If your not the DIY type, most any body shop could do it for you on the cheap as not extensive prep is required.

Okay,

I should have explained in more detail so let me try. I wish I could post pictures here:

I have a TPO rubber roof (not EPDM).

The branch was huge. It fell so hard that it knocked the bulbs and covers off the interior light fixtures as well as cups,etc off the counter.

It not only penetrated the rubber roof membrane but it buckled the plywood base and exposed the styrofoam insulation. In more than 1 place. The gouges are so deep (easily 2" in places) that I wadded up some tin foil and shoved it inside the gash to provide "tenting" so water wouldn't pool there.

I then duct taped over each area. After I duct taped each of the areas (6), I then put sheet plastic over each area and duct taped again to maintain some water tight integrity.

I live in a small town and travel a bunch. There is no place near that can handle this job. Short of traveling to the Fleetwood factory there has to be someplace that has handled this type of repair on my way home. I was hoping someone here had an extensive roof repair done and could suggest a place.

I sent pictures to the customer service rep at the Fleetwood factory and she sent them to the service department which quoted me $38,000 to replace the whole roof and interior ceiling. There was no interior penetration so I don't get that part, but the labor alone was $30,000 at the factory.

I have contacted my insurance already. They will total my coach at that price and we just put a full new interior an new front tires on it.

So I believe that stripping the roof, new plywood and TPO membrane will fix it. Insurance estimates that can be done &10,000-$12,000 and I have never been down this road before.

Oh, and this was my 1st FMCA post. Long time Rv'er and just joined after Quartzsite in January.

On your first post Didn't realise the damage was that bad.

I would contact Texas Custom Coach, 10498 TX-16, Pipe Creek, TX 78063, texascustomcoach.com

(830) 510-4224

There are members on hear who have used them and were extremely happy with the work and the price.

I would call and talk to them and send them some pictures and see what they say.

Bill

Bill if you looks at their before and after pictures you will see they fixed structure and rot damage. They specialized in roofs and are a FMCA commercial member. Yes they have a thick spray on coating that makes the roof very impact resistance. Won't hurt to call them.

Oneway, I remember your first post. Sorry that your having this problem! :(

I would call both places. I only have experience with Texas Custom Coach, last month, my post is on this Forum...very happy with work and price! They can fix anything or build you a brand new coach! They do gas/DP's/5th or custom horse trailers ($250K+) make you wish you had a horse... :lol::P

$38K is pathetic! :wacko:<_<

Carl

Oneway, our first coach needed a new roof, when we looked at it at the dealer it was parked inside a storage warehouse it was so bad. I do not know what it was originally but I can tell you it was replaced with TPO. (same color on both the top side and bottom side)

That coach was a 1998 Coachmen Santara 311SB 31' Class C. The unit was on consignment and I bought it for a cheap price (no inside or wood damage) the dealer charged me $2600.00 to remove everything on the roof and replace the TPO, reinstall all vents, A/C etc. It was a small local dealer in the Pocono's nice people family owned RV dealership. I don't know if the price was discounted in anyway but none the less that is what I paid for the roof.

I've been busy last few days. Thanks for all the input and keep any ideas coming.i have called Action RV in Conroe and Pete described the roof construction process to me and what would have to be done.

I have also left a message at the rubber roof coating place to talk with them.

I have contacted the Fleetwood factory as well in this repair search.

I thought Texas Custom coach would laugh at me with a 15 year old Southwind to fix, but I'll call them as well today.

Here is a fun fact about my lucky streak:

I was the only one in the campground who had any kind of damage, just 2 weeks after new tires, and a few months after a new full interior.....and.......drumroll.........

My wife and I are going on a cruise Monday on the Royal Carribean Anthem of the Seas. (The same ship that sailed thru a storm and just got turned around for another storm and the the Norovirus).

I've been busy last few days. Thanks for all the input and keep any ideas coming.i have called Action RV in Conroe and Pete described the roof construction process to me and what would have to be done.

I thought Texas Custom coach would laugh at me with a 15 year old Southwind to fix, but I'll call them as well today.

I was the only one in the campground who had any kind of damage, just 2 weeks after new tires, and a few months after a new full interior.....and.......drumroll.........

My wife and I are going on a cruise Monday on the Royal Carribean Anthem of the Seas. (The same ship that sailed thru a storm and just got turned around for another storm and the the Norovirus).

I sure hope you bought the cruise insurance!

Let us know what Texas Custom Coach has to say. Last time I was there they had an older (I don't remember the year) coach in doing some up grades.

Bill

Oneway.

I cruise on RCI an average of 12 weeks a year and rule no.1 is do not leave out of NJ in winter! Way too many Northeasters! My next cruise is a 16 day Trans Atlantic from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Denmark.

You'll have better luck getting someone at TCC after 9:30am...ask for Ray!

Carl

Patch with Eternabond tape then drive home thru the coach's OEM facility and have them repair... the original creator of the coach will address any and all structural issues... also a "Factory Repair" will help to retain as much resale value as possible.

patch with eternabond tape then drive home thru the coach's OEM facility and have them repair... the original creator of the coach will address any and all structural issues... also a "Factory Repair" will help to retain as much resale value as possible.

While I would love to do just that here are the facts:

I have been in contact with the factory and they have pictures of the damage. The factory quoted me $38,000 for a replacement vacuum bonded roof structure installed. The coach is worth less than that. The insurance would total the coach and write me a check.

I don't want to do that. I'm no engineer but I have done enough research to believe that the roof can be appropriately repaired. I can only show pictures to any candidate for the repair for now but the structural support members are intact and the punctures are thru the Luaun and not the ceiling.

The repairs described to me would be to patch the fractures and plug the existing void in insulation, then sheet over the full roof with new plywood/Luaun followed by a new rubber TPO/PVC membrane and all new gaskets etc.

That seems like a reasonable approach and one that my insurance company would back.

Estimates for that are ranging from 10-15 K.

I have been in contact with Pete in Conroe, TX as well as Dave from TCC thanks to everyone's suggestions. I am awaiting calls back now from those 2, and the rubber coating guy that was suggested has not returned my call yet.

We just put a full new interior in the coach 6 months ago, and I have put gear vendors, banks system, chassis handling, solar, inverter, etc along the way. New front tires in Houston 30 days ago. The insurance would take none of this into account and we love our rig.

It almost seems that the OEM does not want to support their product ~ yes these things can usually be fixed as good as or better than new.... I also completely understand having an emotional investment in the coach... hope you begin a relationship with a shop that you can trust.... Good luck sir.