oneway

Need A New Roof & I'm Traveling

I have a 2001 Southwind 35R. My wife and I have looked at a number of coaches and we like the layout of this coach better than anything else we've seen. It has now about 65,000 miles on it....it will have 68,000 miles on it by the time we get back to CA in about 3 weeks.

It's such a PITA to shop for a motor home that fits. we will fix this one. I just need a shop I can trust.

Here's the latest:

Pete from Action RV can't quote the repair until he sees the unit. Fair enough, but I'm not taking the waterproof fix off the roof until I have decided on a shop.especially since I have 30 pictures with close ups of the damage. He would ball park me at $12,500-&15,500.

Dave from TCC gave me a quote around $10,000. I know the estimate can change when he sees the coach.

So we are in the $10K-15K area for the repair and it will go thru my insurance. I'm not trying to save a nickel here. I want a good shop who can appropriately repair my roof and keep me in my coach.

I should also mention the local Camping World wanted $129 to estimate the damage, and they would not honor the estimate at the other Camping Worlds across the nation.

They would also not guarantee the repair except at the Camping World where the work was done.

Rejecting Camping World as a candidate for the repair was an easy decision.

Are you headed to Texas yet? Every one I know who has had work done by TCC was happy with the cost and the quality of the wok done.

Bill

Looks like if you are still in the Roanoke area you have a pretty strait shot to Texas. 81 to 40 to 30. Do you want any suggestions on RV parks on the way?

Bill

Not sure what advice you have had up to now as I didn't read them all. To get to the point at hand I have just gone through the same scenario. I have a 2000 Fleetwood American tradition 40 ft. The roof was damaged from the fridge vent (approximate middle of the coach) to the rt rear corner.

As I am in Florida I had looked up on the internet for roof repair in the area. I took it to Leisure time RV in Winter Garden Fl where they removed all the attaching pieces from the foor did the repair to the structure replaced the sky light over the shower ( it had a small crack starting and was yellowing ) then sprayed 3 coats of spray material that is made by Rhino Lining similar to what they use in truck beds.

Put all the fixtures back on the roof and resealed them as well. The whole process carries a lifetime guarantee for any further damage for you or anyone you may sell it to in the future. The insurance covered the whole job. It seems the insurance Co's know little or nothing at all about the whole process. Lets look at it this way. If you were to go down the road for a year or so and catch another tree branch they would have to replace the whole rubber roof again to the tune of another $8000 or so where as this would be guaranteed and repaired for free.

Its called Rhino Linings Eco-coat. If you want it the phone # for the dealer is 407 905 5645. They are in Winter Garden Florida.

Hope this helps Vic Parsons

FMCA # F448210.

Just thought I would pass my experiance along. From reading further I believe his damage may be a little worse than mine but my total bill was only $5800 and I am completely satisfied. And happy to get rid of that rubber roof. Vic.

I' watched the video info online for Eco-coat. Looks interesting. I may make a few calls when I get back from the cruise. I am gone tomorrow thru 3/19. My main concern is the repair prior to the process, which the spray facility may not have experience with, or may not have appropriate experience.

The holes in the Luaun need to be appropriately patched before any process, either the spray or the TPO, is applied.

The RV is winterized and under cover while we cruise for now.

I will most likely leave VA on 3/21 and I need to be in CA 3/28 so logistics to drop off RV and then pick it back up will be in play at some point.

For a retired guy I sure seem to be out of time a lot.

The lauan plywood would be replaced in the damaged area before spraying. I talked to these guys at the FMCA rallies and they specialize in roofs. Don't get rv amor mixed up with rv flex armor as one is roll on that is done in your driveway. RV Flex-Armor is applied in a shop. I would have my roof done by them if I was keeping the coach.

Yes, I did see the RV Flex armor on the link posted in the 1st page of this thread. I put an inquiry in thru the link with the applicator listed in Mesa AZ. They did not return my inquiry and when I visited their web link(the AZ applicator)...well frankly I wasn't impressed.

If I was going to Florida again I would stop by the Green Cove Springs location and check them out.

I really wish I would be back in time to attend the rally in Perry Ga. I think there would be a vendor there with an acceptable solution or at least some guidance from members with a roof I could look at.

That would be a very good thing to do is to meet up with the flex armor booth. They may look at your coach right there.

Logistically it can't happen. I am in NYC and the coach is in VA. I won't be back in VA until 3/19, then I'll have to de winterize and get ready to roll before I can head out west.

This is Jennifer Adair of RVRoof.com, Inc. Sorry you didn't hear back from our authorized applicator in Arizona. I contacted them to make sure everything is OK and they are not sure why your call wasn't returned.

They are a very experienced RV facility and do excellent work. If you want to call me at 904-814-2104 when you get back, I'll answer any questions you have and maybe we can get you an appointment at one of our locations if you decide to go with our roof system.

Ms. Adair. Welcome to the Forum!

Where is RVRoof located? Oneway is on the Anthem of the Seas and he may or may not be gone for the full 7 days!

Thanks.

Carl

Update:

We should be back in VA this afternoon where the RV is located. We plan to leave Monday am for the west coast.

I will have to weigh options along with the weather to come up with a departure plan and route along with seeing about the repair. And I will need to de-winterized the RV and assess the roof for travel. It has been tarped while we were gone. The initial route would seem to be I-40 or south. Any last minute advice is appreciated.

One way, check weather reports daily accross I 40. Some of those higher elevations can get scary weather and you do not want to get caught up in that with a motorhome, been there done that, I would wish that on anyone, well maybe one person.
Did you patch it with Eternabond tape or just tarped it off?

I'll usually check the weather a few times a day including the Doppler radar weather. I couldn't do eternabond so I tapped the areas individually with a plastic. I made a perimeter around each of the 6 areas. If an area is say 1/2 inch by 6 inches, it has about a 1 foot square of plastic protecting it, followed by a bit 18 in square second protection. I used plastic sheet and gorilla tape.

Welcome back and hope you and DW had a pleasant cruise on the Anthem!

You did use a good tape, I like Gorilla because it does not come off in rain or snow...to remove use Windex! While you was gone we had and still having a 100 year flood in LA, Miss, and Texas...if I-10 is open again at TX., LA. border, then it's limited, same with I-10 in the Henderson area. I-20 also flooded in LA. both East of Monroe and East of Shreveport.... some places got 18"-24" in 24 hours! I-40, I-30 and I-20/10 in Texas West bound is OK.

Have a great trip & get that roof taken care of ASAP!

Carl

Update:

We should be back in VA this afternoon where the RV is located. We plan to leave Monday am for the west coast.

I will have to weigh options along with the weather to come up with a departure plan and route along with seeing about the repair. And I will need to de-winterized the RV and assess the roof for travel. It has been tarped while we were gone. The initial route would seem to be I-40 or south. Any last minute advice is appreciated.

Do you have any places to stop picked out? I looked at my list of places I have stayed along I-40 and have several I have used.

On your end the first place may be to close as it is about 175 miles from Roanoke, but some times a short first day is a good thing.

Rocky Top Campground & RV Park, 496 Pearl Ln, Blountville, TN 37617

Next going South is Yogi Bear Jellystone Park Nashville, 2572 Music Valley Dr, Nashville, TN 37214, nashvillejellystone.com

(615) 889-4225. Great for exploring Nashville.

Next is Little Rock, Downtown Riverside RV Park, 250 S Locust St, North Little Rock, AR 72114, northlittlerock.org, (501) 340-5312.

This is my favorite place to stay coming and going on I-40. It is about the right distance from Fort Worth for that first day out and last day coming back. Nice park on the river.

What route are you going on from hearer?

Bill

Riverside may be crowded because of FMCA, Perry, GA. Rally....make reservation today if your going there....lovely place!

Carl

Bill and Carl,

Thanks for the recent info on conditions. Glad I missed the great flood for sure!
The guesstimate at this time is to leave here Monday headed to Gatlinburg area and join I-40 there. Then I'll play it by ear according to road conditions, weather, etc.

I have a friend back in CA who is partial to "sugarlands shine" and I'll need to pick up a few jars for him in the Knoxville area. I know the distillery is in Gatlinburg so I may just toad it in there for the mission.

I'm waiting for it to stop raining before I untarp and reload the RV, so departure is flexible.

Well, there is shine and then there is Shine! My friend in TX likes honey shine that I get in the Blue Ridge Mts. of Ashville every year!

When I was drinking, I preferred apple shine from the Pigeon Fork area....non of them have seen a fed. sticker.

Carl

Ha!!

Well my friend in CA is LE so it needs to be the sugarlands stuff for him.

However....ahem... I did find a large mason jar of what looks to be authentic peach moonshine from the hills of Franklin county Virginia that has turned up in the motor home. Guess I better just take it with me.?