MLnDavo

Wintering Out West...Say Cody,WY...Or Gardiner, MT?

Go on the Weather Channel and look at their average snow fall and temperature. Then do the same for Phenoix and the Texas Valley.

My thinking, winter in the valley and summer in Cody.

Herman

Dave,

You must be tougher than I am! We do our winters in a warmer climate - Arizona last year, Florida now and Texas in the future years.

Check these sites for average temps in Cody and Gardiner.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/cody/wyoming/united-states/uswy0035

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/gardiner/montana/united-states/usmt0131

Davo,

In colder climates most campgrounds shut down their water systems for the winter. This is to prevent damage to the campground's system. Usually also means the facilities such as shower and laundry are also shuttered.

The KOA in Cody shuts down completely for the winter. I believe early October if memory serves me.

Depending on what coach you select, you could probably handle it for a period of time. But, I think it would be a major hassle to drain and rollup your water and sewer hoses after using them. Then your basement heat needs to work flawlessly. Otherwise you'll be toast with frozen grey, black and freshwater tanks.

Blake

Artic Cat comes to mind! :wacko::o Or if you want try a $750K Earth Roamer! Not even sure if that would do it...I have seen them in Colorado, Europe and S. America, in summer! :D

Carl

KOA in Montrose open year round. Nice park. Good cable if you don't have satellite. Water on all year. Lots of nearby scenery, eateries, and shopping.

Central Florida to Cody, Wyoming or Gardiner, Montana? Culture shock and weather shock all in one package! Let us know what your plans are after you try that!!!

You could probably rent the home of someone who is spending the winter in central Florida! :D

I grew up in the snow belt on Lake Erie. I don't do that any more. If you can find a place to camp that is open, most shut down after Labor day, hear is a link with some good ideas. or not so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5RGlcLSrM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynwHHSsdkpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg7jIr2kNx4

Bill

Go on the Weather Channel and look at their average snow fall and temperature. Then do the same for Phenoix and the Texas Valley.

My thinking, winter in the valley and summer in Cody.

Herman

My thinking too.

I can tell you that we were in Emigrant MT (15 miles N of Gardner) the 1st of June and there was still snow on the mountains and in the shade. The Yellowstone river was roaring with winter melt off. Translation, it gets **** cold, very high winds and the folks with the campground close and go to Lake Havasu AZ.  We also passed through Cody 3 weeks ago as we travel to Arizona for the winter and had snow flurries for a couple of days. I spoke with residents in both locations and the answers I received can be summed up as, fall comes quickly and is short, winter is very cold and you better like snow. spring is a blessing and summer we work hard to be prepared for winter. Having said that we love Montana and Wyoming, just not in the winter. 

Bears fatten up, go in cave or any other warm house in winter and sleep!  They seem to be smarter than some humans...:P As most have said, try it, then tell us if you can, what you will do next! :wacko::lol:

I don't mind running my Aqua Hot Furnace for 2 or 3 days, but when it stretches into weeks I'll run out of fuel.  DP's don't run well at -20 & gale force winds, propane don't do well at those kind of temps. :blink:

Carl 

Well the OP hasn't been back since the end of last February. Last coment, if you want to freez your but off fly up to that area and go play in the snow then go back where you can go outside without risking frostbite or hypothermia. I lived and worked outside all winter in that kind of weather. You don't see me there now.:P 

Bill 

Yes I am. :):):) Born and Raised in TEXAS. 

That being said while in the service I had the pleasure of spending several winters in Newfoundland. We had to spent 9 days in the Hanger because The snow was close to four feet deep and we couldn't get back to the barracks. (Talk about needing a shower.) 

So if I had a choose to spend the Summer and Winter someplace it would be, Summer in Ruidoso, New Mexico and Winter right here at home in Whitewright Texas. Both wonderful places. Of course Rockport, Texas would not be to bad either for the winter.

Herman

Fully agree with Ruidoso and Rockport...don't think I want to go north to Sherman area!  That can get cold and nasty with a NW wind.