Sign in to follow this  
judatt

Now Flat Towing 2014 Honda CRV

Greetings, everyone. Just got our coach back after having all the work done to flat tow our 2014 Honda CRV.

They put the base plate on the car and the tow bar - we went with Blue Ox equipment. They put a charge line in to keep everything charged while we are driving. We chose the IRV supplemental brake. I took lots of pictures as we connected everything at the shop. Now we'll do it again Wednesday morning when we pull out headed south to the Passport America rally in Tallahassee, FL.

By the way, the total bill was about $3,800 which I thought was ok. I had been quoted $4,500 for our 2014 Buick Enclave which we decided not to tow. David

Sounds like you are ready to go. Hear is a little tip on disconnecting. When you are ready to disconnect the tow bar, start the car and put it in drive (with your foot on the break) let it roll forward just enough to take the slack out of the tow bar and put it in park. ALWAS put it in park or set the parking break before un hooking. By putting the slight pressure on the tow bar when you hit the levers on the arms to unlock them it will release any preload on the pins and they will come right out.

The charge line was a good idea.

Now you are ready to enjoy the convince of having a car handy when ever you want to go some where.

Bill

I know you have read this in your owners manual. It is important to always go into neutral from drive and not reverse when setting up the car to tow. When you have the car hooked up always go down to drive then back to neutral (with the engine running). I think it has to do with setting up the internal valves in the right mode.

Bill

Thanks Bill. The manual says run it through the gears and go to neutral from drive. I have been going from park to reverse to neutral to low to second to drive. Then you leave it in drive for 5 seconds and then put it in neutral and let it run for 3 minutes.

Sounds like I could leave a few of those steps out and just go to drive, wait 5 seconds then go to neutral and let it run for 3 minutes.

Headed out tomorrow for about 2 months. David

OK just wanted to be sure on this as it would be easy to just go from park to reverse to neutral. Have a great time on your trip and keep us posted.

Bill

Well, today was our official departure date headed to Florida towing our CRV. We wanted to make sure we allowed time for issues to come up and potential problems to get sorted out. We only planned to drive less than 200 miles today. We got up early and had the toad ready to go in under 10 minutes. We thought it might be 10 or so before we got on the road but we were gone by 715. Had no problems or issues and pulled into our RV park at 11 am. Drove 61 mph the entire way.

They graciously allowed us to park and set up and we had a free afternoon. Unfortunately we were less than 5 miles from an outlet mall so spent a couple hours there By the way it took me less than 10 minutes to disconnect the toad.

I did think about the fact we didn't take a toad on our first trip to Texas. However, I don't have any regrets. That 4,500 miles without a toad gave us a lot of confidence in driving and we did have a rental car in Texas to get around in so it worked out. But I am glad to have our Honda and gaining confidence in hooking it up and driving with it.

If we had one issue today it was related to a hubcap. On the drive from Lafayette LA to Victoria TX back in December we lost a hubcap. I think it was on a very rough I 45 through Houston. We didn't think much about it but when we had it in for service and to get everything set up to tow the RV repair place put on a new hubcap at a cost of $185. I'm driving down the road this morning on a very smooth interstate when a van pulls up along side me and motions me to pull over. I did and he said a mile or two back a hubcap came off and rolled out into a bunch of trees. I knew there was no way I could find it so I just looked and yes it was the same one.

Always something but we are loving it. Look forward to meeting some of you in Perry.