jeff753

Directions To The Perry Rally

As most know I-75 is shut down due to land slide near the KY/TN border. By time we leave March 14 for Perry, the detours will have been operational for two (2+) weeks. I expect State DOT to have logistical issues of the detours working smoothly. As we are traveling from Ohio for Perry, I am still traveling I-75 and following detour.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/landslide-closes-i75-south-of-tnky-border-for-weeks/38250110

CORRECTIONS ON MY POST BELOW:

With all of the Spring vacation travel down I-75, I really hesitate to get into the squeeze that the detour routes are going to present. Right now I am heading from Cincinnati to Louisville then south to Nashville and then back East on I-40 I-24 to catch I-75 again south of Knoxville at Chattanooga. That adds about 60 miles to the trip. Only other option I might consider is to take I-75 to Lexington, then get on US 27 South to catch I-40 to south of Knoxville. The hassle of driving the detour routes full of all that traffic will be worse than the delay itself. Then again, if the contractor can get the Southbound lanes open in time, we can forget the rockslide ever happened. Hoping for the last option.

Rumor has it the I75 detour is no place for a large vehicle. Narrow windy road partially washed out. If it were me I would drive the extra miles and enjoy the scenery.

Still another week to evaluate what DOT has in place for detour. My thought is if the detour is suitable for Class A and B commercial, then my lil motorcoach will be just fine.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in eight days, with travel stories I'm sure.

Glad that I don't have to make that decision! Only one I have is, do I want to go via Atlanta, AL. or Tallahassee, FL. Either one is about a 180 miles further than taking I-20 across to secondary roads for Perry.

Jury is still out.

Carl

Saw a report today stating that SB is planned to reopen on March 17, and NB hopefully a week later in time for Easter.

Good News... As reported last night on TDOT, "I-75 South Reopens to Traffic Following Rockslide in Campbell County" - See more at: http://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/38148#sthash.sP8af1ys.dpuf.

NB schedule still remains on or before March 24, but at least getting there doesn't entail a detour around the rock slide area anymore.

Edited by Mac8253