Sign in to follow this  
gv11cc

Best Road Atlas

We want to pick up a good road atlas, but also want one that's the most up-to-date and useful. The FMCA store road Atlas & Travel Guide looks great, but indicates its 2008? Also, is the 2009 RVer's Friend worth purchasing? Thanks.

Greg and Diana, On our 1st real adventure

We want to pick up a good road atlas, but also want one that's the most up-to-date and useful. The FMCA store road Atlas & Travel Guide looks great, but indicates its 2008? Also, is the 2009 RVer's Friend worth purchasing? Thanks.

Greg and Diana, On our 1st real adventure

I'd recommend one of these.

http://store.randmcnally.com/category/road...s%27+atlases.do

In this one you will get bridge clearances, restricted routes (propane), and much more. It's worth the money, I have one and use it extensively.

Green Beaver is on target! We have used the RM Motor Carrier's Atlases for years. The detail is great and the large-scale version is perfect for those of us who find tiny type difficult to read while bumping down the road. They are laminated and will last longer than you want to keep them. We still go back to the large scale version that is several years old for detail we can't get in the regular version.

This all being said, today I put the computer with MS Streets and Trips in front of my technophobe wife and I think she will likely not use the maps again. She said something to me yesterday about not having the detailed view of some small town in western Nevada and I thought, "I'll bet the GPS maps would answer that question." So I set everything up for her today. We were in new country, on a route we'd never taken before. She was into the maps on the computer in no time. I could tell she was enjoying the whole "new" process when she started offering me several different routes to save time/distance. She noted all the small side roads that were showing up on the computer. At one point she started reading off all the information on the screen to me and I knew my life would never be the same! Now we have two GPS units, his and hers. It is still good to grab the map for an overview sometimes but nothing beats the detail you can get from GPS maps. Only time will tell if we ever rely on the paper maps like we have in the past!

Now, this is the FMCA web site, so I must confess that this summer while traveling with Pipewrenchgrip and Laura they were able to locate Wal-Marts better than our GPS using the FMCA Atlas.

We use the Walmart Rand McNally Atlas. It is cheap and includes all the Walmart locations and whether they have fuel and/or diesel fuel. We buy diesel at Murphy (Walmart) when we can because it's cheaper and we get 3 cents off per gallon if we use a Walmart gift card or Walmart credit card. Wish it also included Flying J locations. Use a GPS in the toad only.

The sixth edition of the Family Motor Coach Association North American Road Atlas & Travel Guide should be available in December 2009.

The FMCA road atlas, like others of its kind, covers covers all U.S. states, Canada and Mexico. It contains state locator maps and convenient page tabs that guide readers to the page displaying a neighboring state.

But FMCA's 11x15, full-color atlas also offers many features that appeal to motorhome travelers, in particular:

Plastic spiral binding, for durability and ease of use

Campgrounds:

• Thousands of listings with phone numbers
  • Highlights big-rig-friendly locations
  • Identifies FMCA commercial member campgrounds and other discount campgrounds
  • Use in conjunction with your campground directory for driving directions, amenities, etc.

Flying J Travel Plaza locations

Wal-Mart and Sam's Club locations

• Distinctive symbols identify Wal-Mart stores, Wal-Mart Supercenters and Sam’s Clubs
  • Handy chart lists stores that are located adjacent to interstate highway exits

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store locations

Tourism contact information for all 50 U.S. states, U.S. territories, Mexico and the Canadian provinces

The FMCA atlas costs $15.95 plus shipping. Order it online through FMCAStore.com or call FMCA at (800) 543-3622. If you order online at FMCAStore.com, take a look at the Atlas/Map Book Organizer item as well.

there are a variety of atlas tools for the rver

1. RVers Friend although not an atlas-is one tool we have lived with since its first edtion-generally available at Flying J- always get it from the publisher. We find it particularly helpful because-unlike "Next Exit" it has back road info, fuel stops, mechancial services with phone numbers, etc--also lists dump stations and propane availability. Has a whole section on state and federal campgrounds, telephone numbers etc---and also a list of dump stations arond the country...

2 We use the Wal-mart Rand McNally simply because ti lists all ofthe Wal-mart and Sam's clubs around the country..

3 for 'heavy duty' atlas there is a truck drivers atlas- available at most fuel stops -lists backroadwith low bridgews etc----although thee is great deal ofinfo not relevant to RVing--might be of some help to some---we used it some in the first few years full timing-as we explored very back ways and by-ways

4 in this age of computers and gps and talking phones etc--thee are probably many many ways to map a trip---but we still live in the paper age with wal-mart rand mcnally and RVers Friend

norman and josette crook

I just bought the 2010 Rand Mcnally Deluxe Motor Carriers Road Atlas at a Love Travel stop in Lake Havasu City, AZ for $29.99. We used the phone numbers listed for the state hiway information a couple of times. We wanted to take a couple of hwys but found out we were to long with our tow. It saved us a few headaches. We did however take 89A to Sedona and later found out we were to long to travel that hwy. Woops! my husband did a great job driving us down that road!!! Good luck in your travels. :rolleyes:

I would like to see one that shows restricted roads. For example, the New Jersey parkways along the Hudson River allow only cars. No RV's. Our gps program made specifically for RV use routed us onto these roads. We were too busy to check the FMCA road map so I don't know how it handles this problem. Certainly the Trailer Life software should be better.

I have started using the Delorme Street Atlas USA 2010 and Trailer Life Directory, and I will never go back to a paper map again.

The Delorme package comes with a bluetooth GPS which can be place on the dash near the wind-shield so it can receive the satellite signal.

It will also work with Trailer Life software, although it will only work with one at a time.

Does anyone have the FMCA Road Atlas? If you do, does it have the complete mileage chart?

Yes, the mileage chart is on page 152 of the current (5th Editon) FMCA road atlas, with the Distance and Driving Time Map on the adjacent page. Order it online through FMCAStore.com or call FMCA at (800) 543-3622.

The sixth edition of the Family Motor Coach Association North American Road Atlas & Travel Guide should be available in December 2009.

Today, we bought the 2015 (8th edition) of the FMCA road atlas and it appears to be worth the money. Still priced at $16.00 (purchased at the FMCA headquarters in Cincinnati, Ohio). Only thing missing is a Low-Clearance Chart.

I prefer the Motor Carrier Road Atlas as has been previously mentioned. I have used it for years (retired otr trucker). It is available at any truck stop.

It sort of depends on how big your coach is. For large vehicles I would recommend the motor carriers atlas. You usually are safe in following any route marked as a truck route with any size coach. With a smaller coach and a sense of adventure other atlases might be OK. We have used the motor carriers atlas for years.