dmastroluca

Converting Fluorescent Ceiling Fixture to LED for $11 each.

I made a guide to show you how to convert a Thin-Lite Model 746 from fluorescent lamps to LED lights for about

$11 per fixture.

I used a roll of waterproof LED lights that can be cut to size. I installed 4 – 12” strips of white LEDS in each fixture, and two strips of blue LEDS.

I replaced the 2 position switch to a 3 position on-off-on switch to control what color lights you want on. The two blue lights are used for accent lighting, and are great to use as a nightlight. You can purchase any color accent lights. Versus the fluorescent lamps, power consumption went from 30 watts to less than two. Light output with the 4 - LED strips on was brighter than the fluorescent

lamps.

You can add more LED strips or longer strips if desired.

Here is a link to the pdf. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6av8pb6pmp721c5/Fluorescent%20Light%20Fixture%20Conversion%20to%20LED.pdf?dl=0

It is 25MB in size, so if you have a slow internet connection, it might take e few minutes to download.

post-46524-0-24715900-1456946144_thumb.j

Tried to open and got an OPS! Then tried download, gave up when it said 4 minutes! That's more file than I need!

Carl

Oh wow...nice conversion! And much less expensive than the plug and play tubes we just went with.

Thank you for sharing.

Blake

I've been thinking of doing this, great idea and great instructions. Now I've got my project for the summer! Thanks for posting.

I bought the precut strips with the adhesive backing from Cabin Bright http://www.cabinbright.com/x-factor-fluorescent-tube-replacements/ and replaced all of our interior lighting from wall sconces, 18" ceiling lights, 12" ceiling lights, and the dimmable pods (24 through out) and the vanity mirror lights with LED from Cabin Bright.

Cost more but made in the USA with a nice warranty, plus you can get different brightness and colors (bright white or more of a yellow like the outside sun). I was uncomfortable with some of the other products found on the web and if you are doing an entire coach upgrade the discounts were very steep. The owner of the company is an RV guy just like us, I met him and his wife at the Hershey show in 2014 at his booth.

I looked at the LED tubes and they were very expensive and my goal was to get rid of the ballast in the fluorescent lights, since I had a few that were bad and several bulbs with black ends. I removed two tubes and replaced them with one center strip of LED, still much brighter than before.

Kudos for the thought of the LED's you can cut to fit, that was creative.

Joe.

In my garage at the house, I replaced 12, double tube. 8' fluorescents, with the 1 center LEDs....more light and less amps=$$$$. They have come a long way with LEDs in the past 10 years and I suspect it will continue to evolve. The only downside so far is that you need a cover or go blind when you accidentally look at them!

Carl

I added photos of the conversion I completed in the "Gallery" section if anyone is interested in the other options out there.

Joe.

Nice job ! Why the picture of the throne? :blink: Never could figure out the sink in bedroom thing. :rolleyes:

Carl

Carl, the topic of electric toilets has come up in the past. So I figured I would photo it.
Yea, the first thing my wife told me when I brought it home was "please remove the sink in the bedroom soon" we only had it one day and we were on our way out with it. That weekend the kids used that sink to get ready while I was cooking and the DW was using the other. Now she likes it. I'm just a walking ATM what do I know?