JWilliams

Camping Cookware Suggestions?

SO Last summer, I bought a cheapy cookware set, simply because I was in a rush and on a very small budget...well I totaled that set.

I'm looking online now at different sets and am looking for some guidance. I'm looking at a Stainless steel, enamel, and anodized. All three of these sets cost the same, there are plates and such in the enamel, but I have a set of dishes, so that's REALLY not a deciding factor.

I have done a bit of research and the only place that is shedding some light is an article on best cookware for induction cooktop. Which way would you go?

Induction cookware will cook on all surfaces. Where all other non magnetic will not. That being said a year before the DW and I married she purchased a set of stainless cookware. 52 years later we are still using it. Good stuff last.

Herman

I prefer the stainless steel cookware that is designed for induction cooking. If you do not have an induction cooktop, these work well on gas or electric.

The stainless steel version for induction have a layer of cast iron clad between the outer layers of stainless, making for more even heat throughout the cooking

surface.

If your looking at room / storage consider Magma nesting set, I bought one extra handle.

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Cookware/cookware.html

My favorite, longest lasting hands down easy to maintain Lodge cast iron.

https://www.lodgemfg.com/

Both sets work great on my induction top unit. GL on your selection process

I love cast iron and have a bunch at house, unfortunately it weights a ton, so only have one pot with lid in coach. I also use Mc Ware from Houma, LA. and Kitchen Aid frying pans...for out doors I use a Weber 200 grill and a Cajun Cooker.

Carl

Lol, I guess I pack too heavy. Outdoor we use a tough tripod, over the fire and I have 2 Lodge cast iron kettles to hang from it or the grille it came with. I also carry a Weber CharQ, and a Weber Smokey Joe. I also have a Weber 200 propane baby Q at home, which I am going to use to get rid of my propane under the coach this year (different story from another post) so the CharQ will go in the garage for now.

I use the Smokey Joe specifically for my low and slow Chipotle wings. I also have a Coleman propane slow cooker multi use gadget I use if we are boon-docking.

Forgot, I also have an electric griddle I use for outside breakfast. I keeps the bacon splatter outside, lol

I love cooking over the fire, this year Easter dinner will be a Smithfield hickory spiral smoked ham over the fire wrapped in foil all day.

Joe.

Smithfield Ham is now a China Company and they promised to use the USDA approved methods of butchering and hygiene... Yea, right ! :P Suppose that means no dogs or cats! :o Bet it cuts down on the feral anything population.. :lol::D

Carl

Joe.

Easter Sunday is the 27th this year! I'm having a 1 1/2" thick, prime beef, rib eye and a whole NE Lobster! Beef medium rare, lobster just beyond medium. My last whole meal for about 3 weeks, and last steak for 5 months! All my teeth will come out and oral surgery will be done, Implants and temporary teeth installed, during a 6 hour period of time the morning of the 29th! Nothing but mush for 10 days, then what I call "Old English boarding house", over cooked food, for a month with all the fish I wish to eat, (unfortunately most of that month, will be on a Trans Atlantic Cruise. RS would be jealous!). I'll send out some PM's, on " how many ways can you do FISH.! "

Carl

I smoked Salmon once in my smoker, it turned out good, very soft, which I didn't like but it had good flavor. I like Lobster, my DW doesn't, she is from Maryland so her life revolves around Blue Crab, which I like. She wont eat steak, but will eat a burger or Brisket :blink: . 21 years together I still haven't figured it out. Gave up a few years ago, I just roll with it.

Joe, get a 3/4 inch thick ribeye, sear both sides at 400 on the induction ct, then finish it off on the traeger at 350 for 18 minutes, cut it into a round configuration while the meat is resting, then serve it on a 5 inch sesame seed bun, with lettuce and tomato, tell the DW that it is a new style burger.

Kay, thank you for the suggestion. I have rib eye's in the coach freezer now, next trip where I am cooking I will run with that idea! Good thing its warm up here, when I reside in the coach the following week I will be comfortable :lol:.

Headed out this weekend up state to a place with the largest cheese burgers, they had a 15lb burger challenge, not for me but going to check it out and explore the area.

Herman, we do watch that show! We are headed up for a 5lb burger and split 4 ways and just to explore the area for shopping etc. I tried to talk some friends into it and we all meet up with our RV's, no buy in! :(