painterbob62

Removing Ceramic Tile From RV

Blood sweat and tears.

I use a small pry bar.

I suspect you have OSB as a subfloor base- you will make a mess out of that, but there are ways to fix it.

I wish that our Phaeton was all ceramic tile instead of the kitchen and bath area. What am I missing here?

ObedB,

Our coach has tile in the kitchen and bathroom areas. Four of those tiles are cracked. So, rather than just replace the broken tiles, Ernie is going to replace all the carpeting and tiles with beautiful wood flooring. We love the warm feel of wood and won't have to worry about cracked tiles anymore.

Plus....he does the entryway and step cover too.

Can't wait for our appointment time.

Blake

A coach with all tile (mine are heated) is still cold on old bare feet! When I bought my last house in 07', it had 2336 sq. feet of tile! I replaced it with Bamboo in kitchen and bathrooms, the rest is wood. I still have rug in bedrooms!

Since I have decided to keep this coach, instead of getting a new one in Perry. It will be all wood as I slowly re model it. Yes, I will get back with Erniee! I don't know what the weight of tile is, other than a bunch!

Carl

tile weighs- depending on the grade around 5 pounds per square foot. couple that with the thinset and grout and you maybe pushing your CCC limits.

Engineered wood weighs a lot less.

I really like ceramic tile, but I won't have time to even consider it this season. I have a honey do list for around here plus things to hopefully accomplish on the Phaeton. Our goal is heading west to Glacier on or very close to July 1. Gonna see the NE corner of Yellowstone on the return trip and probably spend some time in Colorado. Once we are loaded up I will once again weigh the coach at a nearby building products yard to determine how much weight I can add. We have lived with 3/4 inch oak dark stained and polyurethane finished flooring in our house for 40 years this fall. She who must be obeyed wanted it that way. I have kinda OD on wood. By the time we get home, winter will be near. Maybe next spring. The 5 lbs. a square foot is good to know. Thanks!

Oh! Carl I was born in Alabama during WWII, but I am not a hill billy. Always wear slippers?

I really like ceramic tile, but I won't have time to even consider it this season. I have a honey do list for around here plus things to hopefully accomplish on the Phaeton. Our goal is heading west to Glacier on or very close to July 1. Gonna see the NE corner of Yellowstone on the return trip and probably spend some time in Colorado. Once we are loaded up I will once again weigh the coach at a nearby building products yard to determine how much weight I can add. We have lived with 3/4 inch oak dark stained and polyurethane finished flooring in our house for 40 years this fall. She who must be obeyed wanted it that way. I have kinda OD on wood. By the time we get home, winter will be near. Maybe next spring. The 5 lbs. a square foot is good to know. Thanks!

Oh! Carl I was born in Alabama during WWII, but I am not a hill billy. Always wear slippers

Just so you know if you have any interest in having your floors re done by Ernie (the best ) He has a fairly long waiting list. It might be good to get on it now. :)

Bill

ObedB.

I was born in Norway during WWll and you don't know the meaning of COLD tile bathrooms! :o:( For 10 years I froze 8 months a year... :P

Bill.

I know, he's booked about 8 to 10 months out.. :(

Carl

If I was in need for RV flooring Ernie would be my only phone call.

I sanded, stained and polyurethaned the floors in the house, in fact I have to do the upstairs hall way and one bedroom in June. I've go that down to a science, RV, I'm not touching, I have seen Ernies work (posted photos) very nice!

ObedB my wife wanted the wall to wall carpet, I won with hardwoods and area rugs. It's not often I can say that......lol

You know, you met her, it's ok she doesn't read this...lol

Weatherford Texas is a long way. Spent more than one weekend at the Petro waiting for a load. Our DP is just not that nice although we love it. I may just decide on new carpet, but I do like tile. Tired of wood and younger I am not getting.

Thanks to all for your input on this. We just bought a 2000 Safari Serengeti 4006se. The tile is pretty ugly so it will be taken out. We may go with engineered wood as it is warmer on the feet and easier to install ( I have a fair amount of experience with wood products ) our friend tells us that as far as resale goes, tile is a better choice.

Bob

As I posted above, I'm not interested in what others want. Just in what makes me comfortable. There comes a time when all coaches, no matter what you installed over the years...re-sale value is zip! Even if you get a brand new coach at 30-40% off MSRP, your still going to drop another 30+% as soon as you roll off the lot. If you look under our signature at bottom of page, you will note that most of our coaches are not anywhere close to new. We buy used or drive it into the ground !

Carl

Well  being new to this forum, All i can say is the blood sweat and tears id correct,  Just finished removing tile from my alfa.  I read on here " propane" is the way to go, and i will say that is true.  Heated the tile till it "pops"  the an electric hammer drill with a 2 in wide chisel .  Walla . The to the mastic ,  flap disc on angle grinder.  Dirty and dusty but it worked with alot less effort.

This post is 4 years old since I replied last.  Had you started a New Post, more folks will see it.

Now, interesting thing about putting your coach info under your signature, if you get another coach and list it, it will show up on all posts you answered, all the way back to when you joined!  At the time of this post, I had a 2010 American Tradition 45Y!