Today I did the monthly exercise of the generator. Instead of loading the generator with the microwave, heater and A/Cs I ran both heat pumps instead. They worked pretty good with the temperature outside of 45 F.

Now comes the question, how many here run their heat pump instead of the heater? I seem to me if you are not paying for the electric at the campground why not save on propane? Most campgrounds include the electric unless you are staying more than a week.

Ray,

THREE choices in our coach:

2 ceramic heaters (first choice when on CG power)

2 15k BTU heat pumps (second choice if temperature above 40 degrees F)

Propane furnace

Three choices here also. When I pull into a CG I turn on the Aqua Hot electric and diesel. Diesel will not come on for a while since the engine has everything all heated up and the electric will hold it unless it's below 50.

I will us the portable ceramics first, Aquahot stats get set so when the ceramics can't keep up the AH takes over. I never use the heat pumps, except for when I'm working inside the coach and its above 38, Unless I'm exercising the generator or AH.

Puff to answer your question, I only run the heat pumps if the CG has excessive outside noise to drown it out. We love the AH, it's very quiet and delivers moist heat.

How do the heat pumps produce heat, electric grid element or compressor/condenser heat? I have little to no experience with these.

Ray.

I run Heat Pump if above 40 degrees. Aqua Hot diesel below 40 and always for shower. AH Electric for dishes and cleaning! :)

A long time ago in the land of me, I loved to ski. That's when we had a built in Ceramic gas heater! The greatest thing I ever had in a coach....it would keep us in shorts no matter how cold it got outside ! :D

Carl

Three choices here also. When I pull into a CG I turn on the Aqua Hot electric and diesel. Diesel will not come on for a while since the engine has everything all heated up and the electric will hold it unless it's below 50.

I will us the portable ceramics first, Aquahot stats get set so when the ceramics can't keep up the AH takes over. I never use the heat pumps, except for when I'm working inside the coach and its above 38, Unless I'm exercising the generator or AH.

Puff to answer your question, I only run the heat pumps if the CG has excessive outside noise to drown it out. We love the AH, it's very quiet and delivers moist heat.

How do the heat pumps produce heat, electric grid element or compressor/condenser heat? I have little to no experience with these.

What's Aqua Hot? Anint got nouthing dat fancy in my old coach. :lol:

Heat pump are just air conditioners that run in reverse. You are cooling the out side while using the waste heat on the inside. That is why they only work down to about 45 degrees out side. At that temperature they just can't pull enough heat from the out side air to be useful. I have used mine but will tend to use the ceramic heaters because they are quieter and I was told to. :P

Bill

No Aqua Hot in my coach and the only ceramic we bring along is the built in one in the basement. The noise from the heat pump don't bother me but it does my wife. For that reason I'm not allow to run it and the same is true for the A/C unless it's a scorcher outside.

We prefer the heat provided by the propane furnace as opposed to the heat pumps. We sometimes use them when the temperatures are in the mid to upper 50's and up. When it gets really cold, nothing replaces the warm air of the furnace. We do occasionally use small electric heaters when we need a little heat in one room or another.

I see a lot are using electric so the question isn't it more expensive to use the electric heat as instead of propane or diesel. One example I can give is I found that since I had to pay for electric per month, it was cheaper to run the fridge on propane instead of electric. Cut my electric bill more than half doing that.

Bill, Ize got one of them fency ones wid the water hot units (aks Aqua Hot). :lol:

When in an RV Park we use the Aqua Hot on their Electric rather then burning our diesel.

Herman

I can see where your all controlled by the DW! :( You know, there is only one dessert that is harmful to your health? A wedding cake! :lol:

Carl

Herman, I'm also diabetic, so what's wrong with sugar free Blue Bell Ice cream? After 52 years with the DW, wouldn't trade her for the world Carl.

What's Aqua Hot? Anint got nouthing dat fancy in my old coach. :lol:

Heat pump are just air conditioners that run in reverse. You are cooling the out side while using the waste heat on the inside. That is why they only work down to about 45 degrees out side. At that temperature they just can't pull enough heat from the out side air to be useful. I have used mine but will tend to use the ceramic heaters because they are quieter and I was told to. :P

Bill

Old coach.....yours is 1 year newer than ours :P . My DW doesn't complain about the noise, unless she trying to sleep.

Bill thanks for the Heat pump explanation.

Puff, I have never stayed any place long enough to be charged for electric....if I was I would find a way to cut the costs also.

We use our heat pumps when camped at a park where we pay one fee by the day. Haven't done a long term yet and the only time I remember having to pay for electricity separately was at a campground near Tombstone AZ. That was interesting, we had to read our own meter and the upcharge was less than $2.00 a day. It was hotter than a East Texas summer day there and we ran the ACs day in and day out.

I'm not used to laughing so hard this early in the morning and some of this morning's posts have me LMAO. Maybe early Monday morning cheer because we ain't got to werk.

Blake

I can see where your all controlled by the DW! :( You know, there is only one dessert that is harmful to your health? A wedding cake! :lol:

Carl

I had some of that cake twice because I didn't learn the first time. But what would we do without DW?

You are correct and I am diabetic. Never saw a sugar free wedding cake, that would as sacrilegious as sugar free Blue Bell Ice Cream.

Herman

I'm a diabetic also and was using artificial sweetener. Now I find out that is bad for you and trying a more natural approach. Can't win for losing.

Puff. On a serious note, it was not a happy day when I buried her ! Life goes on and I totally agree with Kay. 52 years, congratulations ! That's longer than Joes been alive, :P !

Carl

Puff. On a serious note, it was not a happy day when I buried her ! Life goes on and I totally agree with Kay. 52 years, congratulations ! That's longer than Joes been alive, :P !

Carl

52 years is a great thing!

Carl, in one post you went from serious to a cheap shot, lol that was good I'm still laughing and my wife is looking at me like I'm nuts!

We use, two Lasko portable electric heaters and Aqua Hot on electric, then AH on diesel if really cold. Don't use the heat pump much...won't work below 40/45 degrees and is very noisy.

We spend our winters in Benson.  We tend to use the heat pumps during the day when the breeze and noise is less bothersome.  At night when we settle in to relax or when the temps drop below ~45, we switch over to the AQH unit on diesel.  Quieter and more comfortable heat.  We also have a small oil filled heater that we set up in the driver's area with that huge expanse of single plate glass;  that windshield, even with the night shade down, transmits a great amount of cold...the little oil filled radiator neutralizes the heat loss so that the AQH doesn't run as often and the temperature in that end of the coach doesn't fluctuate as much.