Sign in to follow this  
kmsheets

Scare Lights Not Working on Alfa Se Ya

We have a 2005 Alfa See Ya motorome. We love it. We cannot get the scare lights to work? Anyone know anything about them?

Also, we have the "pitting" in the fiberglass; it is really bad -- every section has some. I contacted the manufacturer of the siding, and they told me we were not the original owner so no warranty and that the motorhome was out of warranty. What have you done to fix this problem?

I am new on here, so if there is something already on here I should read. please let me know. Thank You.

kmsheets. Welcome to the Forum!

"scare" lights? What's that?

In regards to siding it would help to know what part of the country your at.

Carl

kmsheets,

Also Welcome.

I also, "Scare Lights?". :huh:

There isn't much that cam be done about the pitting on an Alfa. They had problems with the skin on all their units, That may be one of the reasons they are no longer in business.

Sorry, :(

Herman

The fiberglass can be reskinned if you want to spend the money, or you might want to look at filling the pits, then use vinyl wrap over it.

As for scare lights, just avoid Halloween. "LOL"

If you are referring to a spotlight on the roof, look on the dash for a switch that has 4 arrows, left, right, up, down, the off/on is usually right beside it.

Welcome to the forum.

Kay

Scare lights? I think he is referring to what I was told were docking lights.

First check that each light is good--use a 12V battery charger if no other tester is available. Second, check if you have power to each light. Third, find the switches that control the lights. (not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea)

kmsheets,

Welcome to the forum. Answers to most Alfa questions can be found on these forums:

ALFA SEE YA MOTORHOME - Yahoo Groups

Alfa See Ya! Diesel Pusher Owners Group - Yahoo Groups

For your problem with the Scare lights, check the #4 fuse in the fuse block located in the cabinet above the drivers seat. If the fuse is ok, check your bulbs. If they are ok, you may have a bad ground.

Other coaches had problems with the pitting or "osmotic blisters" but not to the extent of Alfa. The problem occurs because moisture gets in behind the siding because of poor caulking of seams and soaks the lauan back on the siding. Various methods of repair has been tried. We had blisters on one storage compartment door. After the backing had a chance to dry, I sealed all seams well, used my Dremel to clean up the blisters, filled them with Marine Tex, sanded it down then finished with polar white spray paint from and auto store. Not really practical for large surfaces. The only way to handle large areas is to reside or as Kay said repair the pits and do a vinyl wrap. But before doing that, you would really need to be sure ALL seams are properly caulked. You might go on the Alfa forums and search for residing to see the discussions there. You might want to talk to McMiller Customs in Wakarusa, Indiana. PJ and Megan (the owners) have an Alfa and have resided and painted many Alfas. You can checkout their website here:

http://www.mcmillercustoms.com/

Carl & Herman - Scare lights are large floodlights on the sides of an Alfa (and I am sure some other coaches) which will light up the area. May be what some people call docking lights? Google "Scare Lights" and you will see pictures of them even at Camping World. When I first heard the term, I had no idea what people were talking about - I was told they call them that because turning on the lights would scare away prowlers?

Wish I had a picture of the "pitting" in the fiberglass. Is it just a thin or failing gelcoat?

Bill

Bill,

Wish I had a picture I could send to you. The pitting starts out as raised circular area less than 1/4" across. Most of the area will be detached from the surrounding fiberglass. If you don't bother them, they will eventually break loose and fall off. This leaves the Lauan plywood backing exposed underneath which is usually wet or at least damp and will drain a brown liquid until it is dry. It seems to really appear in colder climates. We have been in freezing weather and did not develop the problem but I keep all my seams well caulked so water will not penetrate to the plywood backing. We had the problem on a storage bay door but that occurred shortly after purchase and before I sealed that door. No more problems after I let the plywood dry out, repaired the blisters with Marine Tex and sealed the door.

When we got our Eagle, I had to call Amer Coach to ask what two switches were on the panel over the door. I was informed they are "scare lights'' two large lights, one on each side, mounted high, mid coach, with a switch for each. The docking lights have not changed, two each side, one near the front and one near the back. To date we have not used either of the lights noted.

I have a vision of turning on the outside lights, when pulling in to a campground site at dark 30 ! Think the neighbors be a mite upset? I like Kay's thought...LMAO.

Carl

Bill,

Wish I had a picture I could send to you. The pitting starts out as raised circular area less than 1/4" across. Most of the area will be detached from the surrounding fiberglass. If you don't bother them, they will eventually break loose and fall off. This leaves the Lauan plywood backing exposed underneath which is usually wet or at least damp and will drain a brown liquid until it is dry. It seems to really appear in colder climates. We have been in freezing weather and did not develop the problem but I keep all my seams well caulked so water will not penetrate to the plywood backing. We had the problem on a storage bay door but that occurred shortly after purchase and before I sealed that door. No more problems after I let the plywood dry out, repaired the blisters with Marine Tex and sealed the door.

Yes it sounds like you have water getting in some where. The best way to dry the sub structure before patching will take some work but should produce a good result.

When you have water behind/in the lauan you need to dry it out. Best way I have found is to use vacuum and heat. You will need a vacuum pump I had one that was an old refrigerator compressor. some plastic sheeting and some thing to seal the plastic down. I have used the 1/4 round caulk that they sell to seal around window instillations. I think double back tape might work to. You will need some felt or open cell hard foam to keep the plastic from sealing over the holes in the fiberglass. I have seen a couple layers of paper towel work. You will need a couple of heat lamps to heat the area. What you are going to do is make a one sided vacuum bag.

After you get it dried out you can repair the holes and you are good to go.

Bill