Does a tow dolly require a plate do go on the road in the USA? Some say no because the car on it is plated and that the dolly is in lieu of the front wheels of the towed vehicle.

Any opinion or experience on that matter?

I think some states may require a plate. Az does not. What if you pull it without the car, such as to go pick up another car you will need a plate.

Does a tow dolly require a plate do go on the road in the USA? Some say no because the car on it is plated and that the dolly is in lieu of the front wheels of the towed vehicle.

Any opinion or experience on that matter?

Let me give you a better answer. Look at the regulations in the state you live/are licensed in. other states have reciprocal agreements.

If you had filled out your profile and had your info in your signature I could give you a better answer.

Bill

What does the state of your licensing say about this matter? The question needs that information in order to give an accurate answer. I believe that reciprocity does apply in this case.

Bill, I was typing and got a phone call while you were adding your comment.

In Texas, if it has a wheel or more, it's considered a trailer and have to have a plate that's up to date. Also lights. The only exception to that is if it or what's on it will be used in a parade or 100% of the time on private property you don't need plates, just light....if a county maintained road runs thru the property, then you need plates, lights and brakes if over 2,500 pounds.

Hope that makes sense! It never has to me...

Carl

Dang....saw the title of the post (Dolly) and thought this was a discussion about the famous singer. :P That's why I clicked on it. Anyway....our tow dolly has plates that we keep current.

Blake

In Texas, if it has a wheel or more, it's considered a trailer and have to have a plate that's up to date. Also lights. The only exception to that is if it or what's on it will be used in a parade or 100% of the time on private property you don't need plates, just light....if a county maintained road runs thru the property, then you need plates, lights and brakes if over 2,500 pounds.

Carl

Carl, when I had my tow dolly there was no requirement for plates. Just lights and brakes.

"Register towing devices used to transport secondary vehicles behind motor homes, etc., as

semitrailers at the owner's discretion. Registration of this type is not required in Texas."

This is from the motor vehicle registration manual.

Bill

PA, it's considered a trailer which requires a license plate. If it's over 3000lbs GVWR it must have brakes, if it has brakes it is required to pass annual state inspection.

When we had one it had a GVWR of 2999 no brakes no inspection, still had a "trailer tag" it only cost $5.00 per year to register.

Ohio requires plates.

As many above have said, a check of your states motor vehicle regulations would be well served.

If you have a friend in law enforcement a "friendly" chat with them may serve you well.

Carl

Carl, I believe your information is incorrect. Before I bought our dolly I was told by a DPS office no plates were required on a tow dolly in Texas. I have towed it around 19 states in the past 6 years with no issues.

Don

Dang....saw the title of the post (Dolly) and thought this was a discussion about the famous singer. :P That's why I clicked on it. Anyway....our tow dolly has plates that we keep current.

Blake

Blake, I was hoping for the same, lol :blink:

Joe. I agree, surprised me too!

Bill/Don. It's kind of like this: When I went to the DMV in Galveston and asked for the book so I could upgrade my license for a 26,001 + MH. They told me I did not need an A or B, so did a State Trooper that was there! So, if I was stopped by a cop...would I just tell him to ask Galveston? Per the cops in Gladewater, TX. I need a plate on my trailers...per the Sheriff Dept. in Edwards County, TX. I need plates on my trailers, even on my property, because it has a road that cuts thru 75 ac. of a 2 section Ranch property. I don't argue with them...

Carl

Bill/Don. It's kind of like this: When I went to the DMV in Galveston and asked for the book so I could upgrade my license for a 26,001 + MH. They told me I did not need an A or B, so did a State Trooper that was there! So, if I was stopped by a cop...would I just tell him to ask Galveston? Per the cops in Gladewater, TX. I need a plate on my trailers...per the Sheriff Dept. in Edwards County, TX. I need plates on my trailers, even on my property, because it has a road that cuts thru 75 ac. of a 2 section Ranch property. I don't argue with them...

Carl

Carl, I checked with our county treasurer today about license fees and registrations and she said none were required for car tow dolly's. I guess some are doing it different than others.

Don

Don.

Trailers also? I guess I need to register my "stuff" in an other Co. Don't have a "Dolly"! Do have a one wheel trailer for a MC. Several one and two axel trailers, a Stacker and 2, 30' low boys. If the road between Mt. Pleasant and Gladewater is open today, we have a 36' Flatbed coming. My partner has 3 sections in Ellis County and that is where we get the plates...lot cheaper!

For anyone that may not know: Section = 640 acres.

Carl

Kind of familiar with Ellis County. I have been to Corsicana TX a few times with my old job (truck body co there and armored vehicle plant) that was neat time.

Carl

Carl, not arguing about what the local cops told you. What I quoted is from the Texas Motor Vehicle Registration Manual

The part on "tow dolly's" is under semitrailers.

Fun fact, tow dolly's for use behind a motorhome are not registered or controlled but the dolly behind the main wheels on a ready mix truck to spread the weight are licensed.

Bill

Carl

Carl, I agree with the confusion from one DMV office to another. I looked at the Texas DMV and trailer requirements and could not find "tow dolly" either being required to have a license or being exempt from a license. What document did you use in order to get your license for your dolly? I do not have a VIN for my dolly and I believe all I got from the place I bought it from was a receipt, not a bill of sale. What do they use to "register" a dolly?

Not arguing, just trying to find out a source in the law. Not successful so far.

Don

Carl, not arguing about what the local cops told you. What I quoted is from the Texas Motor Vehicle Registration Manual

The part on "tow dolly's" is under semitrailers.

Fun fact, tow dolly's for use behind a motorhome are not registered or controlled but the dolly behind the main wheels on a ready mix truck to spread the weight are licensed.

Bill

Bill, I read the section on semi-trailers in the Manual you mentioned but I found no reference to tow dolly. I know this is a pdf document, but can you point it out?

Don

Carl/Bill,

I found the reference to Tow Dolly in the Texas Motor Vehicle Registration Manual. It is under Towing Devices in the Table of Contents and is on Page 2-20. It says that Tow Dollys do not need to be registered. I suppose this means they don't need to have license plates but it does not specifically say that.

Don

Don. If it or anything else for that matter is not registered....how would they know you had one? No reg.=no tag!

Carl

I do have a question, that I have been meaning to check on in other counties of Texas.

My coach is registered in Galveston County and last year I paid $882 in tag fee, this year it was $762 (might have been a type-o). Is it the same in the other Co? State is by weight, but I don't know how much that is....anybody?

Carl

I have been told for years that Alabama laws exempts boat trailers, and tow dolly's from registration, registration is the issuance of a tag, and paperwork that accompanies that action.

After looking up the law here in Alabama, it appears that boat trailers are exempt from registration, but tow dolly's are not exempt since 2009, before that they were.

Now I will have to make trip to the courthouse Monday, by the way, a title is not required here for utility trailers, homemade trailers, or tow dolly's, but tags are required.

Thanks to the OP for keeping me out of trouble.

Kay