astmi

Blueox Tow Bar

Recently a friend of mine experienced what could have been a tragedy with his tow bar. While entering a Flying J service station to refuel, he heard a BANG and saw his towed vehicle backing up slowly. The tow bar was broken apart just at the attachment to the MH.

This an all aluminum tow bar tested to 7 500lbs. I called Blueox and the said that these tow bar were eliminated in 2009.

Are these tow bars dangerous. Anyone experienced something with them?

A friend of mine had the same thing happen a couple of months ago. His Subaru took off across a field. I don't know about Blueox.

I'm curious why its still on their website and why/how at least 8 different vendors are offering it for sale today. If Blue Ox stopped manufacturing/selling it 6 or 7 years ago they must have had one heck of an inventory for them to be so readily available.

Amazon has 17 in stock with more on the way as of two minutes ago.

I read similiar problems somewhere else. I have a friend that had to have his rebuilt after 20,000 miles, I thought that was odd. They are certainly a reputable company, maybe they started to source parts from "the lowest bidder". Seems to be common these days. Or just lack of maintenance

All tow bars will wear out. You do have to do the required maintaince on them. I bought my tow bar used(Blue Ox) and had them do the maintaince it at a rally for $20.00. The teck said I had over 85% of the service life left.

From the Ops description the friend most likely drug/hit the tow bar going in to the station there would be little stress at low speeds to cause it to break otherwise. "He heard a BANG" would be consistent with dragging the hitch.

I bent up a drop down trailer hitch when towing a dolly. Similar deal trying to get in a driveway from a high crown road. Bent that hitch up like a fishhook, left a grove in the road that is probably still there.

Bill

I read similiar problems somewhere else. I have a friend that had to have his rebuilt after 20,000 miles, I thought that was odd. They are certainly a reputable company, maybe they started to source parts from "the lowest bidder". Seems to be common these days.

When Blue Ox "rebuilt" my tow bar they changed all the Teflon washers at all the pivot points and replaced the pins that go in to the baseplate when hooking up along with new rubber boots and cleaned and lubed it.

Bill

I shouldn't be surprised at anything but I'm still amazed the lack of understanding some rv owners use. I noticed on both the issues of tow bar problems that the toad was slowly backing away or it took off across a field. Hmmm...no break away system makes me wonder if they even have brakes on their toad. Yes, all pieces of mechanical equipment need maintenance. If he went 20,000 miles I consider that abusing the equipment. At minimum I clean and lubricate and re-torque the bolts on my towbar every year. Of course I saw a Southwind gasser towing a CRV yesterday without a drop hitch. The base plate on the toad must have been at least 18" below the receiver hitch on the motorhome. The towbar was at a 45 degree angle. That towbar may fail and it will be the manufacturers fault I'm sure..in the mind of the owner.

I shouldn't be surprised at anything but I'm still amazed the lack of understanding some rv owners use. I noticed on both the issues of tow bar problems that the toad was slowly backing away or it took off across a field. Hmmm...no break away system makes me wonder if they even have brakes on their toad. Yes, all pieces of mechanical equipment need maintenance. If he went 20,000 miles I consider that abusing the equipment. At minimum I clean and lubricate and re-torque the bolts on my towbar every year. Of course I saw a Southwind gasser towing a CRV yesterday without a drop hitch. The base plate on the toad must have been at least 18" below the receiver hitch on the motorhome. The towbar was at a 45 degree angle. That towbar may fail and it will be the manufacturers fault I'm sure..in the mind of the owner.

Jim, I was trying to figure out where were the safety chains were in those cases? My bar has two cables that parallel both tubes on my tow bar and connect the to the jeep frame and the coach hitch.

Joe, you beat me to my question! The other one I have, has anyone, including OP called and ask, Blue Ox why they stopped making the 7500? If it is as popular as I'm reading, there must have been a compelling reason! Yet, not compelling enough to stop shipping left over stock!

Strange!!!

Carl

I was thinking the same thing about the OP's friend not having safety cables or a breakaway switch to his auxiliary brake. I was reading this "he heard a BANG and saw his towed vehicle backing up slowly" and trying to understand how/why the tow bar broke. I was thinking about it later but didn't get back to add to my comment.

Let me see, this individual was towing with out a auxiliary brake or at least with out a break away switch, no safety cables he bottoms out the hitch and breaks it and blames the manufacture.

The other fun part are how many are jumping on Blue Ox about having a bad product with out any facts.

One other possibility is he broke the receiver hitch off in front of where the tow bar stops. This would account for the car separating if he had the safety cables attached. But with out any evidence we can badmouth Blue Ox.

Bill

After reading the instructions on Blue Ox website, the bar is supposed to under go an inspection/PM at 10,000 miles, I know my friends had not, his didn't fail it just got sloppy. I will say it is looked at often to see if something looks out of place, thus the reason for sending it back for an overhaul before it failed.

Doug, if you are reading this what was done? I remember it was really cost effective to have it overhauled by Blue OX.

Here's another thought, these are designed to pull, not push from what I have read. Without toad brakes you are asking a lot of any tow bar.

Jim, I was trying to figure out where were the safety chains were in those cases? My bar has two cables that parallel both tubes on my tow bar and connect the to the jeep frame and the coach hitch.

There were no safety cables in use.

I just spoke to Linda in customer service with Blue Ox. The Aladdin BX 4325 is still being made. The OP is partially correct however, they stopped making the BX4325 out of aluminum in September 2009. It was rated at 5000 pounds. Since September 2009, the only part of the BX4325 made from aluminum is the outer shell where the release handles are located. The inside shaft is steel. The BX4325 is now rated at 7500 pounds. Prior to September 2009, the BX4325 was all aluminum.

I told Linda she may get other calls and she said she would be happy to answer any questions regarding Blue Ox towbars. She can be reached at 402-385-3051. If you call and ask do you make a tow bar that is ALL aluminum the answer will be not since September, 2009.

Jim, nice leg work!

No safety chains/cables is crazy, that's one way to ruin your day and someone else's life. :o

Jim, nice leg work!

No safety chains/cables is crazy, that's one way to ruin your day and someone else's life. :o

Being a Blue Ox equipment owner, I don't like to read about uninformed users bad mouthing a manufacturer. Usually the story includes "I have a friend", "a friend told me", "I read on the internet" or some statement like this.

I would like to know and Blue Ox would like to know who astmi spoke with at Blue Ox that gave out the information that the Aladdin BX 4325 was no longer being made.

Jim.

Want to place a bet? He did not call?! <_< I agree with any post that is: "Someone told me" or a " person told me" is suspect. :unsure: I can't say that I have seen anyone tow without cables....long time ago, without chains? Yes. :wacko::blink:

No known cure for Stupid. :angry:

Carl

My Blue Ox manual says annual maint should be cutting the strap ties at each end of the rubber covers, lubing the bar and resecuring the covers with new strap ties.

Jim.

Want to place a bet? He did not call?! <_< I agree with any post that is: "Someone told me" or a " person told me" is suspect. :unsure: I can't say that I have seen anyone tow without cables....long time ago, without chains? Yes. :wacko::blink:

No known cure for Stupid. :angry:

Carl

I will not take that bet! "No known cure for stupid" also goes for taking bad bets.

My Blue Ox manual says annual maint should be cutting the strap ties at each end of the rubber covers, lubing the bar and resecuring the covers with new strap ties.

Yep! Simple process.

Here is an older video that still applies.

Did I forget anything?

It is my understanding the parts are made off shore, shipped in bulk and then assembled in this country. When I talked to them thats what I was told. Anybody can call them to verify the information. With Roadmaster everything is machined in house. I had a very comprehensive tour of the factory and saw for myself.

I do not have a BlueOx bar, but that is almost the same procedure I follow. I also lube the pivot points at the main and where it slides into the coach to prevent rust build up in the coach hitch.

I found a great dry film lube at my John Deere shop. It is a good spray for use on the pins and places you don't want to attract dirt. It stays on better and is heavier duty than others I have tried.

Bill

I do not lube coach hitch or secondary hitch for receiver (4" higher), I spray in WD-40 ! Remember, it was invented to keep the exterior of a Light House Tower Dry & Prevent Rust. Took 40 tries to get mixture correct and the rest is history! Also use it for step ! :wub:

Before any ??? comments, yes, for Industrial use, you can buy it in bulk ! Otherwise it would take a lot of cans to do a light house... :lol:

Carl