tmoning

Pet Health Insurance

I'm posting the following questions at the request of Charlie Schrenkel, FMCA national president:

• Do you currently carry pet health insurance?
  • Would you be interested in purchasing insurance for your pet(s) through an FMCA group discounted rate?

I'm posting the following questions at the request of Charlie Schrenkel, FMCA national president:

• Do you currently carry pet health insurance?
  • Would you be interested in purchasing insurance for your pet(s) through an FMCA group discounted rate?

I think it is an excellent idea to investigate the possibility of group pet health insurance. There are thousands of FMCA members that travel with pets and find the cost of individual pet health insurance prohibitive. I believe it would be a great member benefit.

Paul DuBois

We have carried pet health insurance in the past, and although we lost two dogs to forms of cancer in the last three years, we don't believe it to be cost effective. In only one instance did it assist in paying for a non-cancer surgery in one of our dogs about six to seven years ago.

Studies that we have read indicate that it is wonderful for the insurance carriers, not so for the policy holders. The only way we might be interested in buying it in the future is if it is truly at significant discount for "group" rates, and has coverage that is comprehensive. Unless that comes about, we'll continue putting aside a few dollars a month for the routine exams and more serious instances.

Doc Mike

Guest Wayne77590

I agree with Doc Mike. I have had veterinarians talk against it as the exclusions are too great. It would be something to study, and if the rates were low enough it may be worth it. However, insurance companies only offer insurance to make a profit.

We do carry pet insurance on both of our dogs. We use Petplan USA. We researched a lot of different compaines and they are the only one we found that covers cancer, skin allergies and other breed specific problems. They do not cover your yearly exam, routine shots and spaying/nutering; but they do pay for alot of other things like finding your pet if it gets lost. Petplan has three different levels of coverage; bronze, silver and gold. Three different coinsurance amounts; 50%, 20% and 0% and deductibles ranging from $0 to $250. As long as you pay your yearly premium, your policy will never be cancelled.

Our little Rocky, a maltese mix, has had 5 knee surgeries for subluxated patellas. Petplan has paid every claim within 30 days. You choose your own vet, pay the bill and then mail the claim to petplan. Even with all of our claims, his premium had never been raised. I would recommend Petplan to everyone.

We have pet insurance on both our dogs. it runs us $2.000 a year. If we could get a policy that covers pre existing would be great. and include knee surgeries and allergies . if the premiums are lower than we are paying now and cover what we need would be great. Good idea Kathleen Manoff

We use Banfield as our vet, because their computerized record system means that we can go to any Banfield office in the country (in PetSmart stores). We've saved over $3K already just on dental cleanings on our two cats, with their Preventative Health plans.

It's not catastrophic event-type coverage, but it does provide a significant discount on other services when/if we have such an event.

We do not currently have any pets; however, I would be interested in a "group" plan offered by FMCA. As some of the other posters conveyed, it would definitely have to be cost effective. My wife and I are considering another dog(s) and would welcome a plan that would not be premium prohibitive and with many exclusions.