mthurma

Low Water Pressure

It seems there is plenty of pressure at the outside faucet and I am using a regulator, but I have almost no pressure inside the motorhome. I have recently changed the filter but if anything I have less pressure now. What can I check?

Here's where I would start:

First, get an accurate reading of supplied pressure. You'll need to get a gauge for that. Install it on the supply side.

If fine (~35-50 psi), take the regulator off and attach your supply hose directly to the supply faucet. See if that helps. If so, your regulator may be bad.

If not, keep working downstream to find the restriction. for example, take the filter out of the canister and reattach the housing. Test inside pressure again.

Blake

Many times RV'ers purchase the in-line water regulator. in reality it is a water reducer and not very well calibrated. I got rid of the one I had and purchased a Watts Water Regulator (Google is your friend) which is adjustable. Mine is set for 50 psi. Also in the shower we have the Oxygenics RV shower head and it is considerably different in water pressure output via its technology. Most RV stores sell the Oxygenics, and some the Watts Water Regulator.

If you determine that there is good pressure at the faucet output, check the pressure after your regulator. If it is 40 psi or less then that may be the problem.

The PEX lines are rated for around 125 psi, but the compression fittings are to be consider as they may be less.

Wayne, which model are you using LFN45B-EZ?

We find either too much pressure or not enough, more often its not enough but I fear removing the inline reducer. Mine has the gauge on it so when a CG has it too low I fill the tank on the coach and run off of my pump.

The Generator, Aqua Hot, Atwood and every thing else in a coach needs to be exercised and that goes for water pump also. I too will run my tank, even if on park water and in some low water pressure parks I'll run the pump, it does increase the flow!

Carl

Wilson,

Remove the old filter and take it to Lowe's they will match it. Buy one for the number and then go to discountfilters.com and get replacements for a much lower price.

Good luck and clean water.

Herman

My 2016 bounder water flow seems to be getting slower.I have a inline regulator but am wondering about the filter it is a flow-pro but I don't know what filter cartridge to buy. any reccomendations?

thanks

I would think you could take the filter out and see if it had a number on it or take it with you to the store.

Bill

I think you will still have a flow problem and your culprit is the in line regulator. Your RV is a 2016 and to soon to have a filter problem. Disconnect one at a time and see where the flow problem is...I would use a outdoor faucet at house and attach an adjustable flow meter that you can set at 50 psi. attach water hose directly to faucet and check flow inside coach. I get a water psi reading inside as I do outside...+/- 5 pounds, you got good flow. Now, your whole coach filter will naturally restrict flow, 5 to 10 pounds, depending upon what kind off filter.

On older coaches, replace the screen filter in each of the inside faucets, shower and water hose inlet to coach or at least inspect all of them every other year (don't forget to do that inside house also)!

Carl

Wayne, which model are you using LFN45B-EZ?

We find either too much pressure or not enough, more often its not enough but I fear removing the inline reducer. Mine has the gauge on it so when a CG has it too low I fill the tank on the coach and run off of my pump.

Joe, so sorry I missed replying to this post. I don't have my MH handy to check but it was a Watts regulator. The first one I went to Lowes and purchased the parts separately and put it together. I used it up until just a few months ago. It is big and bulky. I found one that is all contained in one including the gauge for around $80, about the same as the one I put together and the new one is a much smaller foot print. I have it set to 50 psi and so far do good. The new one's Manufacturer's Number is: A01-1116VP A01-1117VP or one that looks very similar to that . (Google is your friend)

mwilson, it may be that the filter is good but the in line regulator is set wrong or bad. If by in-line regulator you mean the little 4" like this one "regulator". To me that is just a "water restriction" device and is supposedly set for 40 psi. The accuracy of that type "regulator" has been questioned by many as to whether it is 40, 30, 25 or 50 psi.

When winterizing our coach I remove the little aerator screens that screw into the end of the faucets. Come spring I de-winterize the coach before putting the screens back in.

Had similar problem with no pressure. Finally tracked it down to limed-up screens. Crud that came thru the lines after sitting dry all winter restricted water flow.

Wayne, thanks for the part numbers, I have seen those before and wondered if they are worth it. I watched the video on the CW website, nice product.

I have the Lead Free one with the gauge now, I often find the water pressures are too low headed into the RV but I have had places where the pressure fluctuates and I do not want to run without one so we just tolerate it. I will pick one of these up soon.

Joe

You are welcome. I don't mess with mine, just set it to 50 and leave it there. If the pressure at the faucet is low then fooling with the setting is not going to help. However, to much pressure and it will do the job of keeping it at 50 psi. PEX is rated at 80 psi @ 200F, 100 PSI @ 160 and 160 PSI at 73F. It is not so much the PEX I worry about bursting but the compression fittings and how the old world craftsman put them on.

I don't have a lot of room to mount mine in the bay and sometimes the PVC Piping that the CG's use out of the ground are flimsy at best. I stopped putting it directly to the faucet and instead use a 3 foot water hose from the faucet and just lay it on the ground. I'm going to clean out the compartment and look for a better place to hang it.

I also went to Lowes and picked up a gauge and 3/4 inch fitting. I cam hook this up to the faucet and get a reading for comparison. Small footprint.

I wonder sometimes about the longevity of the PEX. Here at the S&B I had a riser to the toilet just split. Had a mess of water on the floor. My golfing plumber buddy of the day said that those should be replaced about every 5 years and to use the reinforced ones. On the days I'm real paranoid in the MH I'll turn the water off at the spigot when we go anywhere. Only done it a few times - darn.

Due to lows water pressure in son many places, I am considering adding or modifying my present pump to be used to increase the incoming water pressure. Haven't quite designed it yet but will post the results when I do.

Lots of times I will fill my tank and just use the pump since it is much better pressure. But that is a pain so I will go with my additional pump idea.

Herman

Our wet bay is also a design mess with regards to the layout, no room for much of anything. I wanted to put my filter on the wall inside but it just will not fit, and the decorative panel is much to flimsy to hang it. I even have a storage hole in the wall for the sewer hose, but haven't found a hose yet that will fit in the hole with the couplers on it. It just reiterates, the people that design these have never used one.

Due to lows water pressure in son many places, I am considering adding or modifying my present pump to be used to increase the incoming water pressure. Haven't quite designed it yet but will post the results when I do.

Lots of times I will fill my tank and just use the pump since it is much better pressure. But that is a pain so I will go with my additional pump idea.

Herman

Herman, my brother lives in a S&B that has very low pressure. He has a pump for the house that when they are going to take a shower he just turns it on and it increases the pressure. Kind of cumbersome but it is very old technology. I'll bet they have the same thing in miniature form now.

Our wet bay is also a design mess with regards to the layout, no room for much of anything. I wanted to put my filter on the wall inside but it just will not fit, and the decorative panel is much to flimsy to hang it. I even have a storage hole in the wall for the sewer hose, but haven't found a hose yet that will fit in the hole with the couplers on it. It just reiterates, the people that design these have never used one.

Flimsy panel no problem. 1/2 or bigger angle iron, one with the holes in it bent at top and bottom to anchor to floor of bay and overhead of bay. Another, if space is there, would be a 2 x 4 (or 1 x 4) with the same type of hurricane clips used in houses to anchor it top and bottom. Just thinking out loud.

I went through the same thing. What I finally determined was that at least 75% of the pressure problem comes from crappy factory installed faucets.

The 2 primary culprits were the shower and kitchen sink faucet.

I replaced the shower head with the Ecocamel product. I have found it better than the Qxygenics and works great.

http://www.ecocamel-showerheads.com/rv-motorhome

I'm still have to replace the kitchen faucet and will do that soon. Need to do more research for a good one though since Ecocamel doesn't make one.