NORLEDJ2

Oxygen Support

Would like anyone's comments concerning continued RVing while needing oxygen support. I know that adequate power will be a major concern to keep the equipment running but are there other things I should be concerned with?

Are you using a concentrator, or bottled, or both? If using a concentrator primarily, I would suggest that you have a good reliable UPS unit at least 1300 va that you should keep the concentrator plugged into at all times, this is true even at home.

If bottled, the availability of your rx could be a concern, making sure that it is available wherever you are going, most major cities, this probably will not be a problem, but some of the smaller ones, I can fore see a slight problem. Other than those I don't believe there will be any major concerns.

And, welcome to the forum.

Kay

Have a friend in Galveston that uses a bottle. Last year he and his DW drove their car all the way to Alaska and back. This year they are doing all Canada. 2 years ago, they flew to London, England, rented a car and did all of Europe and then took the Orient Express RR from Budapest to Amsterdam....they love the mobility!

Carl

By your posting of "adequate power" I gather your using a concentration unit.

Some use cartage filters, some use sand filters. Be sure to carry enough basic maintenance supplies with you.

Suggest you obtain your medical providers contact information, so "filling" of compressed cylinders can be done quickly and efficiently.

Each states board of medicine and board of pharmacy will regulate dispensing of regulated medical supplies, in Ohio this includes medical grade oxygen (O2)

Best wishes on your safe and enjoyable travels.

Norledj2

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a welding supply company, AIRGAS. They have stores all over the US. The last number I knew was over 4,500. Take a prescription to them and ask if they can put you prescription on their national computer. So you can exchange your "E" cylinder at any of their locations. Also keep a copy of prescription with you at all times.

Good Luck,

Herman

Obtaining the gas / filled cylinders is the easiest part. If that is all you want create a Airgas account and be prepared to present your Rx (prespriction) for Medical Grade O2. Be sure your private tanks are with in hydro service date, or they will not fill them.

https://www.airgas.com/product/Gases/Medical-Gases/Oxygen---Medical/p/OX%20USPE

It's the disposable and reusable supplies that Airgas doesn't supply as theY aren't licensed as "end user distributor" of regulated supplies "on or by the order of licensed physician" that could be a concern, you will have to evaluate your needs.

If you desire access to filling of your O2 cylinders, medical supplies and maintenance supplies a medical supply company might better serve your requirements.

A couple of the major companies in US for respiratory supplies and breathing support are:

https://www.lincare.com/

https://www.apria.com/

Glad I saw this subject. We are talking the mother in law to Florida next month, she uses oxygen at night with her Cpap. Is there a bottle large enough to last her for a week? Would be nice not to have to take her concentrator. 

Roadking,

You can get Oxygen Cylinders that carry up to 300 cubic feet and are more than enough for the trip, however they are very heavy and require adequate security and take up lots of space. Taking her Concentrator would be a much better option. As suggested take additional needed supplies.

Kudos for taking your mother-in-law with you. 

Herman 

There are also miniature concentrators available, they can be rented for short periods. Some are small enough they can be carried on the belt, or in a small ladies purse.