Sign in to follow this  
banditrider776@gmail.com

Day/Night shades

I saw Wayne77590's post about shades in another thread but can't remember where, but thought I might pass along what we did.

My wife thought the day/night shades just didn't do the job, so we went to Wal-Mart (no comments about Wal-Mart, please) and bought some very thick dark curtains and expandable rods. We cut the curtains in half lengthwise, top and bottom had the rod sleeve thingy. Then we put them up inside the valence at the top where it attaches to the wall. We have since had the new now bottom of the curtains sewn so it looks nice. The bedroom is now dark on the brightest days. : )

Mike

x];-}

I’ve never liked day/night shades for a variety of reasons and the hassle factor of fixing them if they break or get unstrung. My wife sews so it was fairly easy to replace our day night shades with Roman curtains. Those are the ones that fold into pleats as they are raised.

We also added sunscreen fabric with the same roman current design between the curtains and the windows. That provides the same day/night features of the original equipment. For the larger picture windows, we split the curtains into two halves so that we can raise or lower each as we wish.

The added bonus is that the curtains match the interior much better and gone are the days when we had to be careful when raising or lowering the day/nights to insure they were on track.

Guest 2driftrs

It took Jan and I about a year to toss the day night shades. We just got tired of constantly fixing the drawstrings, etc. Because the rig had decent window trim curtains, we replaced the day night shades with the cheap vinyl roll-up window shades. They are now 9 years old and still work fine!

When ours do break and I'm sure they will eventually with grandkids.............we'll replace with a roman type shade I believe. Easy to handle and easy to replace. Blinds are good also, we just are not into the plastic blinds anymore. I think we both grew up with them and swore we'd never have them in a house :rolleyes: