Fijidad

Automatic Tire Inflator

And how much does it cost?

Carl

That's always a good question. I've read a number of articles on the new steerable tag axles...but never a price. Guess they don't want to be responsible for us having a heart attack while reading a forum. :(

Mexico has a requirement that over the road buses have a auto inflation device on the wheels. The name is Geoset pronounced geo sea.I haven't been able to find any info on it but a few years ago, a guy was selling the system at the Indio western area rally

Joe.

I just looked it up. Your right $299, no front as yet....don't understand that part, unless it has to do with back/fort action or camber/alignment. Do 18 wheelers have independent front axel? Totally worth the $$$ on rest of coach ! Also, 500,000 miles and 10 year range, but only one year warranty! Will check more.

Carl

With the quality TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor Systems) available today, IMO the need for these is much less.

They have been used for years on buses around the world-- easy to adjust PSI for empty vs fully loaded. Our weights (except for that REALLY big Walmart run) are pretty constant.

If I was full timing, I might be tempted to take the approx. 2 grand for my coach plunge. Yours would be about 800 less. So, then there is the all important peace of mind for 10 years. Automatic air fill or loss....one thing less to remember to do!

Interesting thought Brett. 72 miles to Perry.

Carl

My concern; if this is installed without getting creative you will loose the TPMS system unless your sensors are part of the valve stem rather than a screw on cap type. So if you have a leak you most likely not notice it until you stop or the tire comes apart if this cant keep up. You will have to do your due diligence and manually check your tires hooked up to this before you start off again. As often as I add air (which isn't often) no need in my application, but a neat concept none the less.

Also Brett brought up a good point, we set our pressures based off of weight at each wheel end. I am not sure if this is that adjustable to maintain those specific pressures or do they make them that produce specific pressure and only that pressure? My guess on the steer axle is the mounting and the balance, the drive axle has two hoses so it would balance out, the steer axle only has one, so it would need to be counter balanced or it could cause a vibration in your steering wheel.

I have never seen a road tractor with an independent steer axle, nor air bags on the steer axle either, although it is an option for air ride on the front (never saw one).

Dons.

In Spanish or English "GEO Set, or GEOSET, Or geoset = Engineering and Science School.

Sorry.

Carl

Really have to wonder what the real advantage to such a system would be. Given that tires only lose 1% to 3% pressure per month unless there is a puncture or a component failure such as valve leak. This system is pretty expensive substitution for getting air at a truck stop two to four times a year.

Adding hoses and connections would certainly result in some folks experiencing air leaks and potentially even a tire failure if they were not running TPMS and doing timely inspection and maintenance of their tires.

IMO this is a solution looking for a problem. IMO tire inflators are only of possible value for applications that have numerous tire leaks due to severe usage such as trash hauling or rough off-road service.