RonaldNC

Rhino Flex Swivel Coupler Leaking

I've had some occasions where I needed a longer flex hose then the standard 15 foot on my Rhino Flex hose. I bought their swivel coupler and an additional 15 foot hose. It seemed to work the first couple of times, but now it leaks on both sides of the coupler. All of the connections seem tight and I'm using all Rhino components.

Has anyone else experience this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron

Never thought about it. Now that they come pre done, all I know is I got 4, 10' lengths and a L connector for park hole with a donut. I get a new set about every 5 years!, if one is better than another? Don't know, Wall Mart.

Ron,

Have you checked each end for the "O" rings. They may have picked up some debris. If they look OK try pulling each and turning it over and reinstall it.

Herman

Herman,

I didn't see any o-rings in the coupler. They attach by screwing the hose into the coupler and then tightening a locking ring. However, I will look again tomorrow.

Ron

Don't know why anyone needs a swivel coupler, just more for something to go wrong with. I use a couple of the 15 footers when necessary, but just plain twist together, never have a problem.

Don't know why anyone needs a swivel coupler, just more for something to go wrong with. I use a couple of the 15 footers when necessary, but just plain twist together, never have a problem.

How do you "twist together"?

Ron

Ron,

Sorry if I misunderstood your post. I have Rhino hoses with two extensions. The first extension had the twist or screw on connecting sleeve that two ends screw together. The other has both male and female connectors which have "O"rings and just 1/4 turn to connect. That was what I thought you have.

If what you have is the sleeve where each end screws in the sleeve then you may not be securing [screwing] them together enough.

If the leaking continues might I suggest Depends. :P

Herman

Be sure to fully "extend" the hose, at the connector end.

"Trim" back extra plastic hose material, to the spring steel support. At the "higbee" cut line. Then bend the spring steel in about 1/16"

Screw the hose into the coupling till snug, take care to not over tighten, then tighten the lock collar in the coupling.

I use Rhino hose, as well a few of my friends. The main reason for leaks appears to be when we don't fully extend the hose prior to "seating" the coupling and then locking the collar.

Later today I will be working on a couple of Rhino hoses, check out my photo gallery for pictures that should show you better what I am attempting to explain.

Ron,

Sorry if I misunderstood your post. I have Rhino hoses with two extensions. The first extension had the twist or screw on connecting sleeve that two ends screw together. The other has both male and female connectors which have "O"rings and just 1/4 turn to connect. That was what I thought you have.

If what you have is the sleeve where each end screws in the sleeve then you may not be securing [screwing] them together enough.

If the leaking continues might I suggest Depends. :P

Herman

LOL! Thanks Herman. Yeah, I don't have any problems with the quarter turn connections... they work well.

Ron

Be sure to fully "extend" the hose, at the connector end.

"Trim" back extra plastic hose material, to the spring steel support. At the "higbee" cut line. Then bend the spring steel in about 1/16"

Screw the hose into the coupling till snug, take care to not over tighten, then tighten the lock collar in the coupling.

I use Rhino hose, as well a few of my friends. The main reason for leaks appears to be when we don't fully extend the hose prior to "seating" the coupling and then locking the collar.

Later today I will be working on a couple of Rhino hoses, check out my photo gallery for pictures that should show you better what I am attempting to explain.

Thanks. I'll give it another try later today. It's "moving day", so I'll have an opportunity to reset everything.

Ron

I also use Rhino, but I only buy the ready made ones that have the male and female ends on them just like the valtera type coupling, ie. four pins on the male end, then the female has the locking tabs that you push together

then twist the locking tabs onto the pins, have the same setup on the elbow that goes into the sewer at the campground. And as Herman said, there is an o-ring that stays in place on the female coupling. I always get another

laugh when watching the movie RV when the helpful neighbors extend the hoses with a Y coupling with no stopper on the third opening.

Kay, lol. I was thinking the same scene in my mind when I started to read this. I also use the Rhino hose, I have a new Valtera (red one) and I hate it, used it once carry it just in case I have a really long reach and need to double up. Anyway....mine would leak where the hose meets the end couplers.

They come with a grease type of lubricant, looks like Vaseline and the hose must be screwed as far into the couplers as possible, then the lock nut must be snug to seat the hose tight in the coupler. If it's leaking in that spot, take it apart, clean both ends, lube it up and thread it back together, sung the lock collar.

Make sure the hose part is not frayed or folded over inside the coupler and partially closing the hole in the hose. I also use clear 45 degree swivel adapter right at the coach connection, only because the hole in the bottom of my compartment doesn't line up with the discharge tube on the coach and it is close to the floor, so close the Rhino hose will not bend to align.

HA! Wrong, Joe just likes to watch the flow of brown! :P:lol:

Why not carry the new interlock hoses? What your describing is the same that we had in the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90'....we had to use worm gears....Arrrg! :angry::wacko:

Carl

Carl, no it was a daily gray tank empty, I saw soap bubbles and soapy water and I though "boy I'm glad I pulled that lever" lol

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-RhinoFLEX-15-ft-Sewer-Hose-Kit-with-Swivel-Fittings-39761/205518946?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA%7C&gclid=CKGCotLdvssCFUg8gQodq4oK7w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have this one, and it's older version without the swivel ends where you have to partially unscrew the ends to align it up.

HA! Wrong, Joe just likes to watch the flow of brown! :P:lol:

Why not carry the new interlock hoses? What your describing is the same that we had in the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90'....we had to use worm gears....Arrrg! :angry::wacko:

Carl

I am using the new interlock hoses... they connect with the new Swivel Connector. I think I'm going back to the old school connectors.

Ron

Ron.

It's whatever your used to! Hard to re-invent the mouse trap! My coach came with the built in macerator, pump and 1 1/2" hose, I used it once...it's slow and can't keep it clean! Great for "show" or if the park dump is 2' above the coach level, how often is that?

Only one I know of is Crown Club at Lazydays in Tampa, FL.

Rocket Science, this is NOT !

Carl

I wish I had kept count last summer, it seemed like every campground we visited had an elevated sewer connection. I'm creative about elevating my hose but when you have to raise the coach, it is just plain stupid. I think many of those are built with trailers in mind. Their outlet is frequently several feet off the ground. I prefer to dump with the 3" hose but I've got a self-installed macerator and love it when needed.

Ron, that's what I would do in this situation. I might consider calling them to see if they will send you a replacement fitting. When any of my hoses leak I get frustrated, I do not like spilling anything on to the ground, to me its just not good etiquette. I cant stand when I see fresh water spraying around a connection or a sewer hose leaking. I certainly wouldn't want to be the next guy to pull into a site where the previous persons hose leaked onto the ground. :o

I saw a guy in a Newell with the entry level brown Camco hose with duct tape wrapped all over it leaking at a dump station one time. That memory still baffles me. :huh:

Ron.

It's whatever your used to! Hard to re-invent the mouse trap! My coach came with the built in macerator, pump and 1 1/2" hose, I used it once...it's slow and can't keep it clean! Great for "show" or if the park dump is 2' above the coach level, how often is that?

Only one I know of is Crown Club at Lazydays in Tampa, FL.

Rocket Science, this is NOT !

Carl

Yeah, I have a macerator too. In the beginning, I used it a lot... but then suffered from the "black cone of death" due to the slow evacuation of matter out of the black tank... plus the blades disintegrated and I had to rebuild the unit (yuck!). After the rebuild, I only use it when the dump is above the coach. I've never had any problems with the old fashion slinky hoses... until I bought this new swivel connector!

I guess it's "back to basics" for me!

Ron

Ron, that's what I would do in this situation. I might consider calling them to see if they will send you a replacement fitting. When any of my hoses leak I get frustrated, I do not like spilling anything on to the ground, to me its just not good etiquette. I cant stand when I see fresh water spraying around a connection or a sewer hose leaking. I certainly wouldn't want to be the next guy to pull into a site where the previous persons hose leaked onto the ground. :o

I saw a guy in a Newell with the entry level brown Camco hose with duct tape wrapped all over it leaking at a dump station one time. That memory still baffles me. :huh:

Yep. I HATE any leakage! That's why I try to use the best system... which I thought this swivel connector represented. Not all that's new is good!

Thanks,

Ron

Vaseline is your friend. Lather the hose end that is going to be screwed on and inside the fitting with Vaseline. You will get more turns for a tighter connection.

As for the pyramid, every other dump or so when I'm dumping and the back flush has been going I ask DW to fill the bowl inside twice, sometimes 3 times, and flush. The power flush sends a cascade of water down the tube and takes care of the pyramid. If you have a clear extension at the dump valve you will notice a difference. One other thing I use is Calgon Water Softener. After every dump I put one tab of the disinfectant in the tank and two cap-fulls of Calgon Water Softener. Hey, it works for me.

Try the Vaseline when screwing the hose on.