rpbuttery

GFCI Outlet Buzzing Noise

The GFCI outlet in my bathroom (2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road RED)--the only GFCI outlet in the coach--has developed a buzzing noise, but only when on the coach batteries. That is, when on shoreline power, there is no buzzing. It hasn't tripped, and resetting it has not stopped the buzz. Any thoughts?

Is it when on the inverter? Its possible there is something wrong with the inverter.

Test voltage of outlet on inverter power and then on shoreline lower.

GFIC - Outlets can fail over time, you could have a "bad" unit although purchasing a new outlet to test that theory can get very expensive.

Last thought; obtain make and model of outlet and preform internet search for documented recall from UL, FTC, NFPA-70 or the manufacturer.

Best of luck on this, I rather have a failed part then trouble shooting 25 possible causes.

Do you have a pure sine converter or modified sine

A lot of things do not like the modified sine

Also, yes, when the inverter is on.

Test and reset has worked fine several times, but doesn't stop buzzing. Buzzes only on inverter/coach batteries, not shore power.

Thanks.

$7.00 to $14.00 for a new outlet, if you can't afford one, pm me your shipping info and I will send you a new one. But as DD said, could be inverter issues.

Good luck.

Carl, last time I tried to ship you something, came back to "RETURN TO SENDER, ADDRESS UNKNOWN", LOL.

Also, don't why the emotions are grayed out on my posts, guess I need to PM Todd.

Carl, last time I tried to ship you something, came back to "RETURN TO SENDER, ADDRESS UNKNOWN", LOL.

Also, don't why the emotions are grayed out on my posts, guess I need to PM Todd.

Grayed out because he uses them too often, lol

And the beat goes on...

Related to my original March 14 posting above regarding the buzzing GFCI outlet--but buzzing only on inverter:

RV repair techs swapped out the GFCI.  Still buzzed. 

They then replaced the modified sine wave Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter, which did test as marginal.  Still buzzed.

After consulting with Xantrex, the techs swapped the GFCI outlet for a different brand GFCI suggested by Xantrex.  Still buzzes.

Supposedly, the new inverter and new GFCI tests as ok.

Any further thoughts?

9 hours ago, rpbuttery said:

And the beat goes on...

Related to my original March 14 posting above regarding the buzzing GFCI outlet--but buzzing only on inverter:

RV repair techs swapped out the GFCI.  Still buzzed. 

They then replaced the modified sine wave Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter, which did test as marginal.  Still buzzed.

After consulting with Xantrex, the techs swapped the GFCI outlet for a different brand GFCI suggested by Xantrex.  Still buzzes.

Supposedly, the new inverter and new GFCI tests as ok.

Any further thoughts?

rpbuttery, Have the techs checked the wiring of the inverter input power and the inverter power output Ground circuits and the Neutral Circuits have a good connection and and wired to the proper terminals.

The 458 unit did test marginal and xantrex sine wave inverters need to be wired correctly. Thinking a slight potential difference between the 2 points or wiring issue could be the culprit. !

Rich.

GFI units sense the slightest difference ! and you have already installed different units.  

And on, and on, and ....

No solution yet.  All diagnostics and test results are negative.

Last straw being clutched--changing inverter to a pure sine inverter from modified sine, and Magnum from Xantrex.

Hope!

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:37 PM, rpbuttery said:

And on, and on, and ....

No solution yet.  All diagnostics and test results are negative.

Last straw being clutched--changing inverter to a pure sine inverter from modified sine, and Magnum from Xantrex.

Hope!

In an earlier post you said it was the only GF in the coach. Have you looked in the wet bay for one? 

Bill

NK.  Welcome to the Forum!

Have you checked wiring to CB?  If any are touching each other when pushed into wall...you get bleed over.  Have you pushed the re set button?  Make sure each wire is in the correct hole and the bare wire(ground) is good and tight.