Sign in to follow this  
Barnero

Controlled Substance Refills

With all the regs (federal and state), how does one get their controlled substance refills when on the road away from home?

There are both federal and state regulations regarding the filling and refilling of controlled substances. There are also 5 levels of controlled substances, with designations based more on political decisions than medical values. Class 3 includes combination drugs such as Norco, Vicodin, some diet medication and some testosterone type medications. Class 2 tend to be single medications like morphine, Demerol, other narcotics, and many amphetamine type drugs. The various controlling agencies place a great deal of liability of the pharmacist. Even if you present a valid prescription, if the prescription is later found to be excessive or questionable the dispensing pharmacist will spend considerable time and money defending him/her self. Think Ana Nicol Smith and Micheal Jackson.

So what to do if on the road? If you are refilling a Class 3 prescription, I would suggest that you give the pharmacy at least a full day to contact the previous pharmacy and be assured the prescription is legitimate. They may also wish to very directly with the physician. A chain may be able to directly transfer from one computer to another, but still give them a full business day. Class 3 prescriptions may only be transferred once.

If it is Class 2 expect a little more inspection. The written prescription must be less than 6 months old and have a "to be filled before date" noted by the physician. It would help if a diagnosis is noted on the prescription, or a separate letter from the physician stating the diagnosis and stating that you are currently under the physician's care would be most helpful. This will be copied by the pharmacist for his protection. Again, allow a full business day, permitting the pharmacist to verify this information with a phone call, and permitting the pharmacist to order the drug. Many pharmacies don't carry a large inventory of controlled drugs because "bad guys" come in and steal things.

If you are traveling for 6 months, then get 6 different written prescriptions each dated for the anticipated month and use a new prescription for each fill.

Hope this helps. Just be patient, the pharmacist truly is putting his future and his family at risk with every controlled substance prescription he/she fill.

Gary Kalyn (RPh, semi retired)

Guest Wayne77590

When I travel I contact my two different pharmacies and ask for a "maintenance" refil. They will give up to 6 months at a time. I have to appear in person to get the prescription. This is so they can check you out and see if they can discover if you are abusing the system or not. You may also want to check with your doctor. He may be able to prescribe a "maintenance" supply.