krankyoptimist

My "New" 1987 Vogue lll

I have recently assumed responsibility and tender loving care for my Aunt and Uncle's 1987 Vogue lll 35'. She's in exciting shape for an old girl and has kept her figure quite nicely. 44k miles, 8.2L V8 turbocharged side radiated Detroit Diesel with an Allison 4 speed auto in a Crown Bus chassis with air ride and brakes. And a spotless (and why yes timeless) burgundy and mauve interior with corian, hardwood, and cherry cabinets. I have diaries/log books for every tank of gas, oil change, lubrication, repair, parts purchase, and trip she's ever seen. Hasn't seen much time out in the sun the last few years so I'm shaking out some cobwebs at the moment but nothing serious. My intent is to keep all 100% original. I'll be taking her back out in public soon to hit some festivals with my vintage motorcycles in tow.

I am not an experienced RV'r. Sure I've seen a couple of days in class A's in the past. But certainly not in any machine of this caliber. Never one as heavy duty and purpose built as this. It's a unique, and fascinating, learning curve.

Finally my question. What is the normal highway speed for some of your new modern class A machines of this same ilk? With tractor trailers roaring down the interstate doing 80mph am I a hinderance/danger at 60mph? She's capable of a 70mph with ease. But somehow running that rpm in 4th gear (3000) just seems like jumping on 80yr old Granny's back and spurring the old girl off at a full tilt.

Looking for perspective on that RPM and speeds. Thanks

kranky,

Welcome to the Forum. You have a nice looking unit.

A safe speed on the Hwy. is one that is comfortable for you, the old lady should be ok keeping up.

Give her some fresh blood, change the oil and all the filters. Lube all fittings until lots of grease comes out of each location, will make it like your changing the grease. Change all belts. Inspect the tires and check the age Check the age. If over 7 years be prepared to replace them. Have the coolant checked. Also it might be a good Idea to have the transmission serviced. At 29 years, she has still has a lot to give.

Be happy to show her off.

Herman

I know nothing about the 87 Vogue III Crown Bus, but i have operated Detroit engines for decades. The turbo 8,2 was Detroit's first attempt at a four cycle diesel engine. It was designed as a throw away engine and can not be rebuilt because of the block water jacket. As designed this engine puts out between 165HP to 200HP, @2800 RPM, torque from 350-430 foot pounds @ 1200 RPM. The HP and torque data may change slightly from one application to another. It can be overfueled to reach close to 400 Hp in marine applications. However is 3000 is above RED LINE & WOT in most applications. While you may reach that RPM periodically, sustained operation at that RPM will probably destroy the engine in quick order. The operating RPM for that engine is in the 1700 to 2500 range. It is usually governed to hit 2800 and that's it! Notice that maximum torque is attained at around 1200 RPM, so your performance and economy will deteriorate as the RPM increases. The 8.2 turbo in late 80's was a fair to good engine, the non-turbo was better. The 8.2 series tend to have head gasket problems when overheated due to small head bolts, this problem was reduced in the late versions of this engine.

IN SUMMARY, KEEP YOUR RPM IN THE OPERATING RANGE OF 1700-2500 RPM, HAVE YOUR HEAD GASKET TORQUE CHECKED!

RL,

Good information.

Will you be in Perry? Lots of us would like to meet and visit with you.

Carl, Brett, Jeff and my self are already here. Parked a lady the other day, she was taking the Driving Class, that recognized my name. She said they were hoping to come to the Meet and Great on Thursday.

Herman

3000 rpm is way too high, in 87 the highway maximum speed limit was 55 mph, so vehicles were built to get best fuel mileage at that speed. Beautiful coach, slow down and enjoy her.

Beautiful coach! :wub: Take care of that it will last you a lifetime. I would be honored to camp near you with such a fine example of RV history sitting next to me. WOW

kranky, some feedback for your question. I am a semi-retired professional truck driver of 42 years experience who has trucked around 48 states and parts of Canada. I run my class A down the Interstates at a sedate 60-62 mph and the two lanes at 55 mph, keeping to the right lane as much as possible. That is the same speed I run my Peterbilt when I am working. I think you will find the 80 mph commercial trucks are pretty much a thing of the past. They would be held up by all the trucks restricted to 62-65 mph. In the course of a days run at 62 mph, motorhome or Peterbilt, I usually pass as many as I am passed by.

I drive first for safety, then for fuel mileage (can be a significant difference between 60 and 65 mph), and seldom worry about other traffic as long as I am not in the left lane holding them up.

Take care of your ride, and remember, it's not the destination, it's the journey!

Al

Thought I'd add, that is a beautiful bus you have there! Take care of her.

krankyoptimist, one thing to remember, keep you eye on the oil level. Those old Detroit's are known to be leakers, you can try to fix, perhaps yours is not due to the low mileage but we mechanics always told the drivers "if its not leaking you need to add oil". I am not sure if technology has improved on seals and gaskets for those or not, not even sure If I would worry about it, or try to correct if it was leaking, unless its easy to get to. There is nothing like the sound they produce, between the sound and the looks you will turn heads with her!

I was watching a video the other night of a 12V71 in a Brockway running through the gears...I want one! Time to sell the Dune Buggy, lol

kranky,

Welcome to the Forum. You have a nice looking unit.

A safe speed on the Hwy. is one that is comfortable for you, the old lady should be ok keeping up.

Give her some fresh blood, change the oil and all the filters. Lube all fittings until lots of grease comes out of each location, will make it like your changing the grease. Change all belts. Inspect the tires and check the age Check the age. If over 7 years be prepared to replace them. Have the coolant checked. Also it might be a good Idea to have the transmission serviced. At 29 years, she has still has a lot to give.

Be happy to show her off.

Herman

Thanks Herman. I'm in process with most all you mention. Hurts my feelings draining oil with 800 miles on it. But it was from 2007! Ha The belts were replaced at that oil change in 07 as well and look fantastic. Pulling them and keeping as spares. The 4 rear tires were '07 as well but they're outta here. I don't want to be the one who blows a fender well out of this beauty, or worse. Transmission is doing great and has an external filter which is so convenient. Slowly working the "been sitting" gremlins out of the coach. Refrigerator, separate ice maker, shower washers, updating the TVs to digital, etc etc but that stuff's all kind of fun. My main concern is keeping her mobile so keeping the chassis and drivetrain up is my main source of fret. Aside from maybe the windshield. Ha Good Lord where would I get a windshield for this thing? Ha!

Thanks for the input and kind words!

krankyoptimist, one thing to remember, keep you eye on the oil level. Those old Detroit's are known to be leakers, you can try to fix, perhaps yours is not due to the low mileage but we mechanics always told the drivers "if its not leaking you need to add oil". I am not sure if technology has improved on seals and gaskets for those or not, not even sure If I would worry about it, or try to correct if it was leaking, unless its easy to get to. There is nothing like the sound they produce, between the sound and the looks you will turn heads with her!

I was watching a video the other night of a 12V71 in a Brockway running through the gears...I want one! Time to sell the Dune Buggy, lol

Thanks Jleamont will do!

Joe. I have seen that video. 13speed tranny I think. Back in the day they were used to power turnpike doubles. Drivers had a special license I heard those guys refer to them as "trains" and the engine had an exciting sound even when idling.

I know nothing about the 87 Vogue III Crown Bus, but i have operated Detroit engines for decades. The turbo 8,2 was Detroit's first attempt at a four cycle diesel engine. It was designed as a throw away engine and can not be rebuilt because of the block water jacket. As designed this engine puts out between 165HP to 200HP, @2800 RPM, torque from 350-430 foot pounds @ 1200 RPM. The HP and torque data may change slightly from one application to another. It can be overfueled to reach close to 400 Hp in marine applications. However is 3000 is above RED LINE & WOT in most applications. While you may reach that RPM periodically, sustained operation at that RPM will probably destroy the engine in quick order. The operating RPM for that engine is in the 1700 to 2500 range. It is usually governed to hit 2800 and that's it! Notice that maximum torque is attained at around 1200 RPM, so your performance and economy will deteriorate as the RPM increases. The 8.2 turbo in late 80's was a fair to good engine, the non-turbo was better. The 8.2 series tend to have head gasket problems when overheated due to small head bolts, this problem was reduced in the late versions of this engine.

IN SUMMARY, KEEP YOUR RPM IN THE OPERATING RANGE OF 1700-2500 RPM, HAVE YOUR HEAD GASKET TORQUE CHECKED!

Thanks for the advice. Yes I have read quite a bit about this power plant and it certainly concurs with your experience. The only thing that doesn't jibe with what I've read is that this manual claims 240hp. And I believe this engine is governed as you say. Seems to go completely flat at about 3100. Wont see that from me again anytime soon given your feedback. Uncle has a low mileage spare engine and tranny but I have no intention of using it. Thanks again.

kranky, some feedback for your question. I am a semi-retired professional truck driver of 42 years experience who has trucked around 48 states and parts of Canada. I run my class A down the Interstates at a sedate 60-62 mph and the two lanes at 55 mph, keeping to the right lane as much as possible. That is the same speed I run my Peterbilt when I am working. I think you will find the 80 mph commercial trucks are pretty much a thing of the past. They would be held up by all the trucks restricted to 62-65 mph. In the course of a days run at 62 mph, motorhome or Peterbilt, I usually pass as many as I am passed by.

I drive first for safety, then for fuel mileage (can be a significant difference between 60 and 65 mph), and seldom worry about other traffic as long as I am not in the left lane holding them up.

Take care of your ride, and remember, it's not the destination, it's the journey!

Al

Thought I'd add, that is a beautiful bus you have there! Take care of her.

Thanks. I hope too!

3000 rpm is way too high, in 87 the highway maximum speed limit was 55 mph, so vehicles were built to get best fuel mileage at that speed. Beautiful coach, slow down and enjoy her.

Thanks. Will do!

Perhaps some confusion here.

The Detroit diesel 8.2 liter is a FOUR STROKE engine, NOT one of the famous TWO STROKE DD's.

Totally unrelated animals.

Perhaps some confusion here.

The Detroit diesel 8.2 liter is a FOUR STROKE engine, NOT one of the famous TWO STROKE DD's.

Totally unrelated animals.

HA, I missed that, I thought I read it was an 8V71, missed the 8.2L.

Have seen several of them in my travels over the years, but never the inside. When I read Vogue I knew what I would be looking at. An absolute classic. When you pull into RV parks cameras might come out.

Have seen several of them in my travels over the years, but never the inside. When I read Vogue I knew what I would be looking at. An absolute classic. When you pull into RV parks cameras might come out.

Well then when I get some good pics of the inside I'll have to post them to the album!

kranky.

The last time I saw your coach up close and personal, was in 1987. I don't remember the owners name, but like me, they where members of the FMCA Texas Outlaws and Cruising Cajuns. When he drove it in to the RV Park in Eunice, LA the first time, it drew the attention of the whole park ! I suspect it would do the same today!

Check under Chapters, there used to be and might still be a Vogue Club! I love seeing the "Old" classics on the road ! In the 1980's the Industry was still young ! Come to think of it, everyone on this post was young. Not Joe, he was barely legal !

Please post some pic. of interior! I roll at 63-65 on Interstate and 58-60 on Secondary roads!

Carl