manholt

Black Tank Sensor Problem

I think I have something in black tank that is covering my sensor for levels, currently I'm at half full but my macerator toilet is showing full and will not flush!

If I dump now and back flush, it will work again for a quarter, half, or full....any thoughts on solution other than dropping tank?

Carl

Joe.

Yes, that is what I refer to in "back Flush". It cures the problem temporarily. The toilet is electric flush and will not allow you to flush when it senses that tank is full. It's only half full and I have had this problem for 2 1/2 years now!

Don't ever get a Dometic 8700.

I have no experience with a Macerator toilet. Our electric flush is mounted directly over the black tank and its the only hole in the floor.

Kay. I used that system ail the time, before I had this current set up, I don't have access to tank via toilet anymore! Only via the bay flush system!

When I have the time, this toilet w I'll be replaced by a regular foot valve dump, so I can go back to ice cubebs and GEO! I. Started user guide ice back in the early 70's and it works!

Carl

Good link Kay, very useful! I installed the Horst Miracle probes on our old coach (link on your attachment) they worked fantastic!

Tradition, by American Coach.

I flushed system after dumping and red light is gone, it now flushes! In the morning I will put Dawn and Borax in bowl and flush with about 10 gal of water, then go outside and back flush for 10 minutes and let it sit for an hour before dumping. May work.

I'll be back in Gladewater next Wed. for 4 days....I will have a squeaky clean black water tank when I leave for Galveston next Sat. The ranch workers have pulled black tanks a lot, James has 3 custom trailers for full living and 2 horses in each!

Carl

Why not put the additives in there, fill maybe half or so, run it all day, and dump when you get where you are going, or run the mix another day, and then dump? Just a thought.

I use the additive after every fourth dump, about a gallon of my premade solution, and I never empty before about 3/4 full on a regular basis.

ObedB, Kay. I intend to do so, when I leave Perry on Monday, or I might leave on Sunday to get a head start on the insanity (there is at least 2000 coaches here)! Yes, I normally dump at 3/4 full and would love to do so again!!! That's why I think that a manual toilet is the best answer for an RV. You can add a bag of ice cubs, soap and water and let the ride take care of cleaning the tank....I used to do that about every 2 weeks and in 45 years, I had no black tank problems ! The current system has been nothing but problems in the last 3 years!

I have always had a great appreciation for KISS.

Carl

ObedB, Kay. I intend to do so, when I leave Perry on Monday, or I might leave on Sunday to get a head start on the insanity (there is at least 700+ coaches here)! Yes, I normally dump at 3/4 full and would love to do so again!!! That's why I think that a manual toilet is the best answer for an RV. You can add a bag of ice cubs, soap and water and let the ride take care of cleaning the tank....I used to do that about every 2 weeks and in 45 years, I had no black tank problems ! The current system has been nothing but problems in the last 3 years!

I have always had a great appreciation for KISS.

Carl

Agreed! Call me crazy, but before we bought this coach, I was crawling all over it to see if utilities that I had problems with in the old coach were easily accessible in this one. If it had anything crazy I was going to walk away. I almost walked because of the Aqua Hot, I knew nothing about them, I figured two furnaces and a Hot water heater seemed simple. It took me two days of AH research before I said OK, and I was still nervous. It got really bad when I drove it home from the dealer and diesel fuel was pouring out of the AH :blink:

Kay,

Thank you for the link. I'll try that for the black tank and grey tanks on next trip out. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to get Calgon and Dawn in our propane and freshwater tanks! Just kidding of course but our propane and fresh water sensors don't work correctly either. Perhaps I will switchover to guided wave radar or capacitance probes one day.

It's been years since any of our sensors have worked. Like the article, we have just lived with it. I did pull the sensors in the grey and black tanks when they first failed after about a year after we bought the coach. That was a PITA because of all the junk I had to remove just to get to the sensors. Oddly enough, we never had any problems with our pull behind trailers at all.

Blake

...It's been years since any of our sensors have worked. Like the article, we have just lived with it. ...

Blake

RV sensors are famous for not working...we all get used to it and ignore them. Our last two coaches have had " SensaTank Level Monitoring Systems." They have worked perfectly in both coaches. There are three or four readings, Fresh Water, Black, Grey and Propane if you have it. Our rigs have had monitors outside with the water system and inside on the master electric panel over the passenger's seat.

We never boondock, unless over night at a rest stop, truck stop or Wal Mart. I rarely check them on this coach since we have a water use pattern we seem to follow. I know I can go a day without empting the Gray tank. So far the sensors seem to work properly. I had to replace the sensors in our old coach, the tanks were small so I had to be certain they were not full, those had to work. I installed the probes from Horst in the Black and Gray tanks, never had a problem after that. not sure of the system in this coach but they are on the outside of the tank behind what appears to be a shiny silver tape covering them.

Blake, that would be a funny sight sitting around the campground. Drink a little water and blow bubbles.

I do believe in the Calgon in the black tank. Been doing that for 8+ years and I don't have a problem with sensors. Dumping is a s..m..o..o..t.h. operation.

LOLOL.

Well, I now have Palmolive(better for hands, don't you know) in tank and fixing to go get Calgon, just as soon as the Fire Dept, ambulance and cops leave...RV fire, not to ground, no one hurt! Perry responds time was quick !

Carl

Up date. Got a cup of Calgone in B Tank. I'll let it R&R tomorrow!

Coach Fire: Smoke damage in bedroom and rear bathroom...they got the coach at RV World of GA., who is here at Rally, their picking up coach today and Tiffin is delivering a new 40' Phaeton to owners house. They live 15 miles from dealership! That's the kind of service everyone needs to give!!!

Carl

Owners said they had the front AC unit blow up? yesterday....Tech figures it fried some wires to rear of coach and shorted out today! Nobody will really know until they take the coach apart.

Flat bed tow truck showed up about 2:30pm and got the 40' DP ! Parked across road from me. It had less than 1000 miles on it and their best friends are parked next to me, they also have less than a 1000 miles on their Allegro "Open Road" gas!

Both couples got new 2016's a week prior to Perry ! Between them, it's their 18th Tiffin MH, in 27 years ! The 34' gasser has no problems....yet !

Carl

Wayne,

How often do you add the dish soap and softener to the black tank? I have become accustomed to the sensors not working, but will try the remedy. My toilet is directly over the black tank and there is a certain sound that happens when you know that it really is time. Odor has never been a problem however.

I got both in there now and will drive with it tomorrow in 1/2 tank full, then dump. When I get back to TX. I'll see how it goes!

Normally, in the past, I would do it once a month when traveling and every other week while driving I would add about five pounds of ice cubes.

Carl