RodgerS

Gasser Game Changer For Me!

Based on an article in Motorhome Magazine online, 2/26/16, it seems a reasonable solution to the ride ability problems of the gassers is at hand.

It is not important to turn a gasser into a dp, nor provide "all" the benefits of a dp, but having a reasonably decent solution to the ride ability issue opens up the doors to those, like me, who would like to buy a new short gasser from Newmar or Tiffin and travel around the country with it.

Not an option for all, but another alternative to consider, which for me is right on the money. I'm not planning on full timing and really don't want a 35+ length dp, new or used, nor all the "benefits" of a dp.

Do a MM website search for SumoSprings to read the article.

The statement "Gasser Game Changer For Me!" suggests that this single device will move a chassis from "not acceptable to on-my-short list". Much as I would like to agree, there is NO SILVER BULLET that fixes all suspension issues.

If in Perry, come to the Suspension Seminar tomorrow-- a discussion of suspension basics and then over a hundred years of hands on RV suspension experience on the panel for the Q&A:

Suspensions – Saturday, March 19 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., Seminar 5

"fixes all suspension issues." The article doesn't represent it fixes all the issues. It makes a substantial contribution to ride ability.

"over a hundred years of hands on RV suspension experience on the panel for the Q&A:" .

Worthless, IMO, in the face of new technology.

That is what new technology does, it leaves history and old knowledge and experience in the dust.

When the game changes, if you are not on top of your game, you have been left behind.

To be sarcastic or to belittle people of knowledge, that do not a 100% agree with your point of view, seems to be a trait with your! If you do not value the opinion and knowledge of others, then why bother to be on this or any other Forum?

If " over a hundred years of hands on RV suspension experience," is worthless, IMO, Then every class, that you have ever attended, to be an Inspector. makes your information and knowledge, also "worthless"!

Opinions are like noses, every has or has had one. As being an engineer for the past 32 years, I take every opportunity to find the history of a product and use it in order to decide whether or not to make any changes.

Lack of knowledge on any subject only leads to sometimes costly mistakes. So, if you like a gasser, and want to add Sumo Springs, and hope that it is not snake oil by a lot of hype from advertisement then go that route.

If you have already have taken the plunge and want to express an honest opinion on the subject, then tell others that is what you are using, and are well pleased with the results. You might even want to become the over 101 years of hands on instructors.

Most everyone on this forum have owned gasser motorhomes in the past and wrestled with trying to make them climb a hill better, or make the ride smoother, make it easier to handle.

So please leave opinions, but not criticism of those who are working hard to help others. In the course of my career, I have evaluated many new items and find that 75% are useless, or not as good as what is already working.

Many happy trails, Kay

You know/ I have always liked the smell of a diesel exhaust. One of my failings.

I have the current issue of Motorhome magazine here. The Sumo Springs are advertised in color. They have the same cheap looking construction of a different set that I tried on our Georgie Boy II 34 Gasser probably around 1990. Kinda flimsy looking to me IMHO.

No, I don't value these off-handed opinions.

None of the posters have actually demonstrated any experience with this "fix," nor any relevant or current technical knowledge related to it.

It definitely would be nice, to hear that you bought something ! Alas...I don't believe that you ever will. Sarcasm is your forte, It must be tough on your ego to be a little fish, in a big pool !

Never mind, I will not answer any more!

Carl

No, I don't value these off-handed opinions.

None of the posters have actually demonstrated any experience with this "fix," nor any relevant or current technical knowledge related to it.

We have a nice very user friendly group here...unlike some forums. If you don't value or like somebody else's opinion...that's fine and your prerogative. But kindly refrain from making inane comments of no value.

Sumo suspension has been around for awhile, Tiffin does offer it as an option on their gassers. From what I have read on the Tiffin Forum, those that have had them installed are happy with the results but it is certainly not a cure all for the ride of a truck chassis with leaf springs. And yes, I have owned both a gasser and a DP.

One of my biggest fears about sending in my money and joining FMCA was that as a lowly gas motorhome owner the high class DP owners would look down on me and treat me like a second class citizen because I decided to go the gasser route.

I am very happy to say that those fears were unfounded and I have been treated the same as the person with the million dollar plus bus. I knew very well going in that my gasser was not going to ride like a DP with air ride. I am OK with that decision and still have lots of my dollars in the bank.

May try the Sumos but so far am happy with the ride of my stock Georgetown XL.

There are a lot of really nice DP's out there for significantly less money than a new gas powered coach. Might have to spend a few thousand upgrading them, but I would not do it any other way. We owned a gas powered 34 footer for many years, and never felt like low rent. Park next to us now and you are a fellow traveler.

George. Happy Easter!

I had a gasser for 20+ years (most DP's where bus conversions), then I had a MCI by Barth (they went out of business in 1987). Back to gassers for 15 years, and now that every manufacturer out there have a diesel, I have owned them for the last 10 years!

My "Truth be told", I don't have a DP because of fuel economy, cheap maintenance, cheap annual service, you can climb a hill as fast or faster than I can! I got a DP mainly due to the ride! The ride is not all because of air bags and shocks, but also weight, size of tires and tag axel....6 tire DP is night and day over gasser and no air bags, but 8 tires is "the cats meow"!

Georgetown, has had enough years now on the market and thru trial and error, they have become a good coach ! So, don't forget, FMCA, it don't matter what you drive, just that you can get from cab to living quarters without going outside, have a self contained bathroom and kitchen! That makes you a Motor Coach owner, and welcomed any where, anytime!

Carl

Hey all....Good Friday and Happy Easter!

Like many on this Forum we have been camping and RV'ing for many years. Me, I started out as a scout sleeping on the ground in a tent, then a nicer tent, then a bigger tent, then a tent trailer, then a pull behind, then a better bigger pull behind (had to upgrade pickup for the bigger trailer), to the current coach we have now.

It took us nearly two full years of research and talking to others before we bought our coach. This included driving about everything that any dealer had within 300 miles of our home. Probably drove the sales folks crazy but glad we did. I'm not sure if we will upgrade our coach because we love everything about it. The only regret that I have is that it does not have a tag axle. Crossing the deserts in West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California can be a real bear for us when those crosswinds get to howling. So now when they do.....we just slow down a might. One year we were camping out in Red Rock Canyon California with my uncle who has a 34 HR Endeaver gasser (the topic message is here). Winds above Tehachapi got so bad we had to pull over......his coach was listing to starboard severely (he thought his coach was gonna tip over). I pulled up next to him to shield him from the wind. Continued on once the winds died down.

So George, I would never say a disparaging word to any RV'er because of what they were camping with. Because I've been the one with a "hunting" trailer in a destination campground parked next to a Prevost and was treated with dignity and respect. I too feel as though all on this Forum treat me as an equal and truly want to help when I have questions. I also try to contribute but I haven't near the experience as some of the experts here.....and I really value their opinions!

Blake

Thanks guys, that is what I was getting at. Everyone on here seems to treat everyone with respect. Like most of you I have been camping for over 50 years. Wife and I started out in a 15 foot Little Hobo travel trailer then went through every kind of camper except a pop up. We even went back to tents for a while. We just traded our 43 foot Cardinal 5th wheel and Ford F-350 King Ranch Dually for our current Gas Coach. This is our third gas coach, had two Winnebagos before. If we traveled more I would have gone DP this time but we spend 6 months out of the year parked at a Corps of Engineers site as host. In reality I probably should have keep the 5th wheel but we really love our Georgetown. Happy Easter to all.

Years ago, when camping at a local campground in our small TT, I was sitting outside enjoying the warm sun when a large Precost pulled in next to us. When the op began setting up, I walked over and said to him, " you know, you are blocking my sun with that MH ", he became apologetic till he realized I was laughing...we had a nice visit for a couple of days... :)

Yea. Your 43' Cardinal had a lot more livability area, than my 45'...I agree, it would be a tough call to downsize to a coach!

I recently added Sumo Springs to a 2006 Workhorse W-22 Chassis.  The Sumo Springs help with side sway and makes the coach handle better on curves, with passing trucks, and general control of the vehicle.  There is a much more solid feel to the handling.  It helped a little with potholes and bridge expansion joints, but not very much.  It is worth it to me to have better control of the motorhome.  It is not like having air ride, but it is not bad for a vehicle with leaf springs.  The shop that installed the Sumo Springs was impressed with how well the coach handled. 

The W-22 chassis has a long enough wheelbase (57% of total length) so that "tail wag" has never been a big problem.  The Sumo Springs do seem to help the tail wag that I do have, since the rear Sumo Springs are attached to the frame at the top and to the axle at the bottom.  This seems to help the rear of the coach from swaying too much.

Edited by OnTheRoad4Fun
Clarification on tail wag issue

7 minutes ago, OnTheRoad4Fun said:

I recently added Sumo Springs to a 2006 Workhorse W-22 Chassis.  The Sumo Springs help with side sway and makes the coach handle better on curves, with passing trucks, and general control of the vehicle.  There is a much more solid feel to the handling.  It helped a little with potholes and bridge expansion joints, but not very much.  It is worth it to me to have better control of the motorhome.  It is not like having air ride, but it is not bad for a vehicle with leaf springs.  The shop that installed the Sumo Springs was impressed with how well the coach handled. 

Welcome to the forum. Have you installed a rear track bar? I have several friends who have and say it was the most effective at stopping the tail from wagging the dog. I can see how the Sumo Springs can help locate the body to the frame. 

The company that can make smooth transitions on and off bridges smooth expansion joints will get my vote. Air ride will not stop the sharp bump regardless what some claim. I don't think low pressure tera tiers would stop all the bump.:P

Bill

I have never had a smooth, bump free ride on or in anything!  :D  My teeth rattle on a lot off roads out there. <_<