ccchuck

Subaru - CAN or CAN NOT tow?

Motorhome magazine's guide removed all Subaru models from their list, but, I'm told, FMCA still says 2016 models, manual transmission, are towable.

The owner's manual no longer mentions RV towing.

Yes, I hear folks are towing them successfully, but I'd like to know where Subaru corporate stands on this.

cchuck,

I have forwarded this thread to the FMCA staff and asked that they follow up with their Subaru Corp contact for the current company position. Stay tuned-- hopefully they can get an answer early next week.

As you know, all Subaru's with manual transmission have historically been towable (both officially and mechanically).

We tow a 2012 Forester with a manual 5 speed. I don't think that a manual 6 speed would be a game changer. Good luck. They are very civilized durable automobiles. We started with our first one in the late seventies. Currently have two.

I remember a poster not that long ago that wanted to tow a Crosstrek manual. He was told that he needed to leave the ignition in the on position because of a new steering system on that model. He was going to have to install a power source from the coach. Hope you are good to go? Rally going on now. Could take awhile for the answer.

ObedB.

For all practical purposes, Rally is over. I was going to leave today, then remembered an INTO. get together, so now I'm here overnight! We had almost 2,200 coaches! About 70% are still here, so tomorrow morning should be interesting....hope they are not all going North by West.

Carl

Actually, it has been pretty easy. There are 6 major exits, most on to 4 lane roads with I 75 just a short distance away. Some people left yesterday, so departures are really spread over two days.

On 3/20/2016 at 10:37 PM, ccchuck said:

Motorhome magazine's guide removed all models from their list, but, I'm told, FMCA still says 2016 models, manual transmission, are towable.

The owner's manual no longer mentions RV towing.

Yes, I hear folks are towing them successfully, but I'd like to know where Subaru corporate stands on this.

To clarify, as of this date, Subaru has not changed its owners manuals in regard to flat towing. The owners manuals have not specifically mentioned towing behind a motorhome or an RV for at least the last three years (2013-2016).

However, owners manuals for the Forester, Impreza, WRX,and XV Crosstrek do contain a section titled "towing with all wheels on the ground."

Subaru, as of November 2015, confirmed to FMCA that certain 2016 models, when equipped with manual transmission, are towable four wheels down behind a motorhome. FMCA is now in contact with Subaru to determine if that policy has changed.

Such answers are not always quick in coming. We will post updates as soon as they are available.

We like to stay a day or two after rallys are over. It's quite a parade watching everybody leave.

Well, we pulled out at 8:30 this morning. Many coaches moving around, but with all the exits, there were just 2 coaches in front of us.

Pretty painless.

Good to know the Perry location has adequate supporting entrances, exits and roadways to support such an event.

If you ever make it to the Hershey RV show, don't expect that. It grid locks the entire area with cars. When you expect it you are mentally prepared.

I, like Brett, left at 08:30 and had no problems at all with traffic...just toad! There is a rule that I forgot. When your hooking up toad to coach, do not stop and answer questions!!! EVER. I did and forgot to place Jeep in "N"! Drug it about 100 yards. Got that taken care of, then I was so rattled and embarrassed (coaches behind me) that I forgot to shut off engine! It was a cold morning, so when I got out of area and onto South road, I saw exhaust, where there should be none, pulled over on shoulder, sort off, and turned of Jeep!

I took I-75N to Atlanta and saw 3 coaches, passed one and the other 2 blew passed me, Newell's!

Bill. I Goggled Department of Texas and LA Hwy's., to see what parts where still closed or maybe open. I-10 E & W at Orange, TX. was expected to be open 3/21. On 3/20 traffic was still being diverted onto LA 27S to 82W via Holly Beach to Sabin Pass Bridge to 83. Then you could take Hwy 83N to Beaumont, TX. or Hwy 73W to Winnie. TX. Then re join I-10! That is the last detour, you ever want to take in a coach, of any kind!!! Oil Field roads for the past 60+ years and only been re surfaced twice, that I know about! More storm damage in the past 15 years, that took those roads under salt water!

I would rather detour to Canada and back, before taking 27 & 82 !

Carl

...There is a rule that I forgot. When your hooking up toad to coach, do not stop and answer questions!!! EVER...

Carl

Old aviation rule, when using your check list and get interrupted, start the checklist over from the beginning. :rolleyes:

FIVE. Agree! Only excuse I have, I was frozen, it was bloody cold morning and I had old brain meltdown! :rolleyes::D

Carl

Guys, lets pull this thread back to the original question: Towability of 2016 Subarus with manual transmission.

Thanks.

We love Subarus. Has management figured out if 2016 Subarus with manual transmissions are towable four wheels down? If the 2015s are, why not the 2016s? Unless you need a rough and ready Jeep, it is a great car to tow. The number of towable vehicles seems to be on the decline.

Family Motor Coaching magazine has published its annual Towables Guide since 1999, and each year, the list of vehicles that can be towed four wheels down behind a motorhome has included various Subaru models that are equipped with a manual transmission. The list is based on information FMC receives from each manufacturer, including Subaru. However, it appears Subaru is rethinking its position on flat towing.

Recently, FMC heard from several FMCA members who were told by Subaru employees that Subarus should not be flat towed behind a motorhome. FMC immediately contacted the company. Subaru’s corporate office is researching the matter and as of April 5 has not provided a definitive answer as to whether the company has changed its policy regarding flat towing. However, when an FMC editor called Subaru customer service, the Subaru representative said the company recommends towing via a flatbed trailer, except in emergency situations.

FMC will continue to seek clarification. When more information becomes available, it will be posted FMCA’s Forums and published in the magazine.

We have towed our 2012 Forester over 9000 miles. Tires are wearing perfectly, no funny noises occurring, and I use it as my driver around home. The car performed very well on our snowy or icy roads this winter and scooted up our snow covered 16% grade driveway  with no problem. Maybe corporate lawyers are considering liability issues? I intend to keep towing ours.

Remco does show the Forester as towable with the 6 speed and the Crosstrek with the 6 speed is showing towable. The 2016 Subaru Impreza ALL AWD H4 2.0L cyl 5-Speed Manual Manual are showing towable. The 2016 Subaru WRX ALL AWD H4 2.0L cyl 6-Speed Manual Manual  is showing towable the same with 2016 Subaru WRX STI ALL AWD H4 2.5L cyl 6-Speed Manual.

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

I would read what they say very carefully.

Bill

Bill/ 2012 Forester towable with 5 speed. Have it rigged up with Blue Ox base plate, diodes, and light wiring. Knew that it was towable when we bought it from Faulkner Subaru Harrisburg Pa. Considered a Jeep but they were just too expensive even used and my wife would have never driven one. Tried to get her to drive my F-150 Super Cab. Fo getta  bout it. Remco is a good site for anyone that is in doubt.

There are still a lot of people out there that will not replace their Saturn's!  Between Subaru, Saturn, Honda and Jeep W.  That's 80% of Market.

Your right, Remco has always been great!

Carl