rfsod48

Leak In Power Gear Reservoir Tank

I have a small <1/8" leak in the reservoir tank for the Power Gear leveling system of our coach. New tank not available and used is $625 for tank and pump (which I don't need). Is there any leak sealer I could use for this? Fluid is ATF and I think the tank pressure is minimal. Tank is metal.

I have used DEVCON products to make permanent repairs in oil reservoirs in industrial applications with good results. The key for success proper preparation.

If the leak is on a flat surface you can use a sheet metal screw with a fiber washer to seal the hole.

Jim

I have a leak also on power gear jack hydraulic pump. I just checked mine and fluid level is is OK. I am just going to watch fluid level. My tank has a sensor on top and when fluid level is low the jack monitor beeps when I stop or take off from stop light. This has been going on for 3 years and I just had fluid (atf) added at repair shop. They said nothing about repair of leaking pump.

The leak I have is at the bottom of the reservoir tank, a small hole. The screw sounds like it might work, if not I will try epoxy.

I would check to make sure there is no water in the bottom of the reservoir. I'm thinking that moisture may be present, which caused rust to develop and eventually a hole.

Jim

I plan to completely drain the tank and use black star spray to kill the possible rust.

Thanks for the help!

Roland

You might try a well-nut.

Google "well nut" to see what they look like. Pick them up at any hardware store.

Simply drill the hole out so it has a clean edge and insert the well nut and tighten it down - leak sealed!

Lenp

Bill,

You recommend using acetone as a cleaning solvent? What about a wash with simple green and then finish with acetone?

Thanks,

Roland

Lenp,

Really great idea for well nut! I don't think ATF would damage the rubber grommet so this could be the cure.

Thanks,

Roland

It sound like you will have to remove the tank so what I would do would be to weld the hole. The ATF may cause the rubber "O" ring on the screw to break down. To make a clean weld you will need to grind the area around the hole. this will give you the chance to make sure the metal is still sound before making the repair.

Good luck,

Herman

Herman has a good point welding would be the best practice. For best results you will need to remove the tank to clean it anyway.

To answer your question, yes simple green would/should work to get the bulk of the hydraulic fluid off/out of the tank. I would finish with acetone before applying the coating or epoxy. We use to use alcohol to clean/break down hydraulic fluid when I was working.

Use acetone as final cleaner as it will flash off and doesn't leave a film.

Bill

CAUTION, Acetone is highly flammable. Please use it in an open and well ventilated area.

Also be sure and clean the inside of the tank of any ATF residue before welding and after. If you can get a welder to TIG weld it you will have a much smaller heat effected area. (Tungsten Inert Gas aka HiliArc)

Herman

CAP,

JB Weld is a great temporary fix for most anything, however for a long lasting repair welding is the best and permanent answer.

JB is a nice company from Sulfur Springs, TX.

If you are ever on I-30 East of there you will see on beautiful Mansion on the north side of the Hwy. That is where to lady lives that was left the company by her late husband.

Herman

Women have a DNA that we don't have..."how to out live a spouse"! Therefor, rule # 1 for a male, is to marry a woman older than you! Rule # 2, don't get stressed or rule # 1 don't apply! :lol:

Acetone is a great igniter when used with anything that goes bang! As Herman said, please use caution! :rolleyes: Outdoors is best.

Carl

It can be soldered as well, and as Herman pointed out Tig would be best. Mig second. JB will hold indefinitely if prepped correctly, surface roughed up for mechanical grip.

Bill E.

rfsod48,

Welding is always the best way as mentioned.

I have not welded a hole in this style hydraulic tank. The key is to work with a clean surface.

I use a power hand held wire brush, then check the thickness of the material around the mentioned hole. The material thickness is key to setting the welder to the proper current and voltage.

A good welding shop should have no problem getting a good fix.

I use a gas shielded mig to fill holes in many items.

Rich.

Note. I have used JB Weld sticks to repair a number of items when on the road until the coach is back home.

It depends on where the hole is...is it on the bottom? If it is why did it occur. If it is a pin hole likely from water accumulation in the tank and that little hole will be a bigger one if welded with a torch or Mig. With a Tig control is better stil but likely same result...bigger. I would opt for the fore mentioned JB Weld as a permanent fix. Prepped well it will last longer than you will have the coach and the repair cost minimal.

Bill

Bill,

This is exactly what I did. We drained the tank, cleaned it and brushed the surface with a wire brush attached to a drill. We then cleaned the surface again and applied 2 separate coats of JB Weld. I finished the repair with a coat of rustolium paint. So far so good.

Roland