somethinsup

Security Systems

The local Costco store has an interesting door bell, which I will be installing this weekend.

http://www.costco.com/Ring,-Wi-Fi-Enabled-Video-Doorbell-with-Chime-%E2%80%93-Satin-Nickle-Finish.product.100178969.html

Very interesting concept, as you can read, this one actually rings your cell phone. I will report about effectiveness next week.

Good morning, and Happy Easter! We have a security system in our coach, magnet contacts on the screens, doors etc. Never turned it on nor have I even touched it. It has a remote control and I believe the system is made by Essex electronics or it is tapped into the Essex components. I was just tinkering with the system on Wednesday night installing a switch on the inside to lock and unlock the doors. For some odd reason the wiring was present but no switch inside to lock the coach down for the night.

I got tired of hanging out of the door before bed typing in the code on the outside key pad to lock the basement doors, now I just press a momentary switch on the inside and walk away.

Its the little things in life that make you smile :D

Consider all the aspects of a security system. Then consider the reaction time if you cell phone goes off, police are notified, etc., and by the time that is done the thieves have broken in, stole some valuables, did some damage and have departed. Personally, security systems keep the honest person out, just like locks on doors.

However, what are thieves fears. Bright lights and loud sounds. A good lighting system and a loud siren or klaxon is a big deterrent. Once the lights come on and a loud sound is heard they typically vacate the area and look for easier pickings. Now just figure out how the light and sound comes on. Is it the opening of a door, window, compartment, etc., and how is it enabled or disabled.

Besides the 80 lb Husky, here at the S&B we have an alarm system. I just received a letter from the insurance company to show a certificate that indicates that all the windows and doors have sensors on them. What! Why would I go through all that trouble. I have sensors in a few places, including one for glass breakage. So those windows that do not have sensors on them will set off the glass breakage sensor should they be busted. Okay, let's look at it a different way. Someone pries the window open, busting the poor locking system designed to keep honest people out, and enter the home. The motion detector will go off. Trust me, if any of the sensors are activated there is a loud piercing sound letting anyone know the alarm has been activated, plus a phone call to the alarm company. I have another device that if motion is detected it notifies my cell phone also. I primarily have it to laugh at the dog cause I can talk through it also. Drives her crazy and keeps her alert.

Security alarms are overrated in my opinion, and a way for distributors and alarm companies to make a fortune. So think it through before investing a lot of money. Consider a different campground if you don't feel safe. JMHO

p.s., speaking of compartments, how many items are stored in there that any thief could re-sell at a flea market. Not a lot of valuables until you add it all together. Just a simple screwdriver will gain access to any compartment.

Wayne. You forgot, brother Joe, now ex cop and full time, when in coach, gourmet chef and chief griller, who carries enough grilles etc to make Chef Bobby Flay jealous!

I have no alarms, no unusual lights on coach. At home I have some motion detector lights, set at 5' above ground, also have 6 signs that my friend gave me, 2 different alarm company's, I got them side by side. The odds are in my favor that the Police and the Sheriff will not be on coffee break at the same time. lol. also they don't know if I'm hooked up or not! Priceless! They both patrol my subdivision day and night.

We have way to many cops on west end of Island...one way in and 1 way off....some from the hood in Freeport tried to make it 2 ways....no, you can't drive across the Gulf of Mexico!

Carl

Carl, just add one more thing, a full size picture of yourself standing behind a grill. If the face doesn't kill them the size will. :D (Can't wait to meet you someday.)

I travel with three separate security systems. One each in the front, by the bed and in the rear. The disadvantage is that they only work when the coach is occupied. The bad guy/gal won't know about them until he/she hears the racking of the slide or sees a red dot on his/her chest. :D

Wayne, I was thinking the same, at 6'8 I'm pretty sure they would think twice.

FIVE you think like me, or I think like you...

We have an alarm system at home, it gives me a chance to chamber a round and put my glasses on.

Scare lights, that was one of my favorite posts on here. Wow